Over on carbs but under calories

Options
EmxlyG
EmxlyG Posts: 2 Member
I took a bit of a break from tracking macros and focused on just eating good foods and I've started to track again and noticed now I go over on carbs but still remain under my calorie in take, I started to add more fruit to my diet and do snack on things like raisins, I'm vegan so I try to eat a lot of veggies and stuff too! Im just not sure what to do, fruits are good for you and Im definitely not eating too much fruit so I don't want to cut down on them, is it still possible to lose weight if I go over on carbs? I do want to build some muscle too so maybe it isn't so bad? I get a lot of protein and normally hit my fiber intake, I think fat is my lowest in take, maybe a high carb low fat diet could work? Just don't want to gain back the weight Ive lost so Im worried about changing my macros too much. I don't work out all the time either, if I wanted to keep eating more carbs would it best to start working out like at least 5 days a week maybe?

Replies

• SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Calories in, calories out - as long as you close your days consistently under the calorie goal, you should be fine. Nothing wrong with eating a LFHC diet, especially and most importantly when it comes naturally to you, and when you also get a reasonable amount of protein out of it. You can update your macro goals in the app to fit this approach.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Of course, it's possible. There's no magic about eating protein. Some people just do so because it makes them feel more satisfied or they think they need to for whatever reasons. If this works for you, you feel good, and you've lost weight, it will be fine. Now if you're starving all the time, you may want to add some protein or fat in for satiety.
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat as I am eating plenty of fruit and veg, my biggest problem is getting protein in so am trying to replace some of my snacks with higher protein options. I'm certainly not worried about eating the carbs especially as they are not processed sugars and at the end of the day it is calories that matter for weight loss not where they came from.
  • michellebirtleeds
    michellebirtleeds Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    A lot of vegan food is high in carbs and that's fine. It's one version of a healthy diet. Carbs are nothing to be afraid of.

Personally, I try to meet protein and fiber goals while staying within my calorie limits. If I'm struggling with that, I look at fat and carbs, and try to identify eating habits that are driving up my calories too high without helping me meet fiber and protein goals.

I tend to go way over sugar limits because I like fruit. This is fine because that's not a macro that I care about.