Feeling a bit down today.

Options
I’ve been training 7 days non stop, eating within my calories and I’ve gained 2 kilos! It’s really upset me because I’ve been working my butt off. Why is this happening????

Replies

• Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    did you weigh yourself at the same time of day - nights are always heavier for me. and yes ToM can be brutal - consider that. If you have eaten within your recommended intake it's not fat :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    If you're new to exercise seeing a temporary gain is completely normal. Keep going and you will see results.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Rest days do have the advantage of giving your body time to adapt to exercise and restore itself. If this exercise regime is not part of your calorie allocation you are better to eat a good proportion of your earned calories back.
    Keep up the good work and take care.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    The day after rest day can be whoosh day as your body releases some of the excess water...
  • raiders34
    raiders34 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I would take a couple days of rest and let your body recover. Need to shock your body every once in a while. Your body could be retaining what I can because of your extreme workouts. Relax take it slow
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Water retention in the muscles from starting a new exercise program. It will normalize over a few weeks.

This.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I understand the frustration of the scale numbers. I am learning to not let it bother me (though I haven't received my A in the class yet) because as I constantly read on here, weight loss is not linear. So much fluctuations with our body - water retention, sodium from food, working out etc. etc. Hugs
  • lolothedragon
    lolothedragon Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned a new workout program can cause you to be up at first from water retention. I've experienced this, it usually levels out in a week or two so I don't weight myself too often.

You're doing great just by being here, keep up the good work and you will see results.
  • cfgreear
    cfgreear Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    rawaneido wrote: »
    I’ve been training 7 days non stop, eating within my calories and I’ve gained 2 kilos! It’s really upset me because I’ve been working my butt off. Why is this happening????

Sometimes it takes a couple weeks to see any results, are you making sure to keep track of your bodyfat percentage? Thats where you see the real progress and not on the scale. Make sure you drink a lot of water, and sleep properly. Because you dont get stronger and more fit from working out, that just burns and tears down the muscles, its when you recover properly that you see improvements and you need to give your body the tools it needs to build up again properly. Some people stop losing weight when they starve themselves too because they dont have enough calories to feed their system so their body goes into a starvation mode and holds everything in.
  • rawaneido
    rawaneido Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I been training for 4 months now but I’ve started F45 last week and been going hard since! My appetite is thru the roof and I remain in my calories! Im resting today, although I’m dreading it maybe I’ll go for a walk or something or do some yoga! My body is continually sore so maybe you’re all correct! I do feel well and I’m doing a body comp scan next week!
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend cutting back your workouts to 5 times a week and see whether your soreness goes away. Also, I hope you are eating back the exercise calories you've earned to help stave off hunger and help your muscles repair.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    rawaneido wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I been training for 4 months now but I’ve started F45 last week and been going hard since! My appetite is thru the roof and I remain in my calories! Im resting today, although I’m dreading it maybe I’ll go for a walk or something or do some yoga! My body is continually sore so maybe you’re all correct! I do feel well and I’m doing a body comp scan next week!

Yep... soreness=muscle damage/repair and water retention. And as has been mentioned, if you aren't eating back at least some of your exercise calories, you are setting yourself up for failure.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    In addition to exercise-related inflammation, your weight gain could also be related to where you are in your menstrual cycle. So rather than giving in to your freak out and restricting and exercising even more, which will make the situation worse, chill and eat to fuel your body.