Working out with work

Options
Hey guys, I know you give a lot of great advice and I was hoping you would be able to help me out, too.

I have been getting to the gym fairly regularly recently, but on days that I work I can't even begin to think about going. I work in a hospital as a nurse intern (basically a CNA or aid, but because I'm in nursing school I get a fancy name). They are 12 hour shifts and I work 1-3 days a week, depending on how many shifts I can get. I am always on the move when I am at the hospital, helping patients, fetching things, just DOING things and I am often sweating (gross lol). But I hear some people say they are heading to the gym after work and I'm thinking HOW??? My feet feel like death on fire at the end of a 12 and I just want to go home and sit down. I generally only get to sit about 2-3 times for about 5-10 minutes per shift plus my 30 minute lunch.

Anyway, the point of this question is three part: Am I burning enough calories during my shift to warrant not going to the gym that day? And, if so, how do I make myself not feel guilty for missing a day? If not, what do I do to get my butt into the gym without killing myself?

Sorry so long :)

Replies

• smoore85
    smoore85 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    if u are constantly walking around on ure shift i would imagine u are burning quite alot of cals,, i wouldnt feel guilty about not going to the gym after work if i were u,, 12 hrs on ure feet is a long time.. u could get a pedometer that measures the amount of cals burnt and amount of steps done in ure 12 hr shift that would stop u feeling quite so guilty,,
  • demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Maybe on those days instead of the treadmill you can do the bike... will help keep you off your aching feet but still be able to get in a burn?
    Or during slower times you can find some stairs at work to run up several times here and there. (breaking up your workout per se)
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I don't work as long as you, 8 hrs, but we never get breaks and never get to sit down. You are definitely burning cals during work.

Have you tried going to the gym after work? It might end up easier than you expect. Sometimes just getting yourself to begin is the hardest part.

If you are consistently working out on the days you do not work, then I'd say you are just fine. But if you are feeling horrible about not going to the gym... then go :)
  • idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Start using a pedometer while you are working if you say you walk a lot. And if you don't like or too tired for the gym, do something like Pilates, it's great for toning the muscles and not exert you in the process.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    My cousin is a Nurse. He is basically on the same schedule as you. My advice to him was work out when you can and when you're mentally focused. On days that he has to work in the hospital, I told him on his breaks to stair climb. He's now down 15lbs. Oh and he brings his lunch and doesn't eat at the lousy cafeteria there.
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    If you don't work out the 3 days that you have long work shifts, do you go to the gym on all the other days of the week and really put in a good effort? I think that would be a good deal to make with yourself.

On the other hand, if you constantly feel guilty about it, you could try something a bit relaxing, like yoga or pilates, which might actually feel good and calming after a hectic day. Although it's really aerobic and good for you, I find swimming really relaxing as well.
  • sportsforfun
    Options
    You really do not need to workout on days that you work if it is only 3 days a week as long as you work out the rest of the time. Try lowering your caloric intake on the days that you don't workout as you won't be burning quite as many calories. This should keep you losing weight on these days even if you can't make it to the gym. Another suggestion would be trying to make it to the gym before work. It can be very difficult to actually get up when you first start but it would be worth it as it gives you energy and motivation the rest of the day. Sometimes meeting someone at the gym will provide the motivation to be able to get up early enough to do it. Just a few thoughts.
  • MarandaPanda86
    Options
    Wow, you guys are quick! I am looking at heartrate monitors to wear to work so I can see how many calories I burn and compare them to the days I am not working and go to the gym. I'm going to see if the numbers are at least a little close. I start work at 6am and I live about 25 minutes away, since my gym opens at 5am I don't really have time to get there. And I am so not a morning person lol. I wish I were though!

Yoga and pilates is a great idea! I don't have access to a swimming pool, it is not included in the package I have with my gym and, being a student, I can't really afford the upgrade :-/ Plus, I'm an embarrassing swimmer. People would think I'm drowning lol

Any recommendations for heartrate monitors? You guys are great!

Oh, and yes I do get to the gym every day I'm not working. I really am only working 1-2 days a week, especially with school starting. I missed 2 days of gymtime this weekend when I was kicked by a combative/confused patient and injured my knee... But I went yesterday and did the bike to try and get it going again.
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Get a fitbit and track your steps and cals
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    HRM are great for workouts but they encourage you to have your HR in a specific zone- some fancy HRM can be worn all day but I would recommend fitbit or BodyBugg for all-day tracking
  • TheDeviation
    Options
    I'd worry less about counting calories you're "burning" at work and more about where you can fit the gym in. Long shifts don't help for motivation, but you've got to commit. Make time for the gym. Most people burn very little while at work (even those on their feet all day). There are exceptions of course.
    You really do not need to workout on days that you work if it is only 3 days a week as long as you work out the rest of the time. Try lowering your caloric intake on the days that you don't workout as you won't be burning quite as many calories. This should keep you losing weight on these days even if you can't make it to the gym. Another suggestion would be trying to make it to the gym before work. It can be very difficult to actually get up when you first start but it would be worth it as it gives you energy and motivation the rest of the day. Sometimes meeting someone at the gym will provide the motivation to be able to get up early enough to do it. Just a few thoughts.
    All worth looking at.