My new WHY

Options
anyWendy
anyWendy Posts: 97 Member
edited March 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
So, I spent some time journaling this morning, articulating why it is important to me to achieve and maintain a healthy weight (I am currently 181, down from 225, 5'8", so 164 will be a healthy BMI).

Here's what I realized:
I am someone who puts a lot of effort into my own personal development, physically, mentally, spiritually, etc. I want the body that people see to be one that is congruent with the level of effort that I am putting in. When someone looks at me, or I look at myself, I want to see someone that is motivated, disciplined, and successful. To ME, that requires a healthy weight and a fit and strong body.

This way of thinking about it is new to me, but is very motivating.

What is your WHY?

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    anyWendy wrote: »
    So, I spent some time journaling this morning, articulating why it is important to me to achieve and maintain a healthy weight (I am currently 181, down from 225, 5'8", so 164 will be a healthy BMI).

Almost exactly my stats. I am also 5'8". I was 223 and age 58 when I started dieting this time. I am 59 now and weigh ~163. Still going to lose just a bit more, but very slowly. I don't want to go into my 60s overweight; I want to do everything I can to improve the odds of making it to retirement and then having a long active retirement. I also didn't like what I saw in the mirror and didn't like the image I project. I may have my job end and need to find one more before retirement. I already have to get past ageism (even though it is illegal, there is still implicit bias). Being overweight does flavor the impression you make and usually not in a good way. But it is mostly about my health.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I think maybe I don't have a "WHY."

I've never really had any lifelong weight issues, but since my 40s, I am constantly 10-20 lbs overweight. I don't really ever care how people see me. It's how I see myself, or rather how I feel. I am back on my plan now after blowing it over the holidays and putting the weight on. I just "feel" gross. I actually look okay in my clothes.

So the "why" is a feeling for me.
  • anyWendy
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    I think my why is exactly as yours. However lately I've been thinking more and more about happiness. And I think these three (motivated, disciplined and successful) do not necesserily lead to happiness. I've been pushing myself my whole life to a achieve these and I can't say I'm happier. I think I need to be more peaceful with myself and stop being so requiring of myself.

Well, I'm not there yet so my why's are still these three but I want this to change.

Thanks for sharing. This really got me thinking. For me, motivated, disciplined, and successful does not have to be at odds with peaceful and happy. I am definitely a type A high achiever, but part of how I achieve my goals is through meditation, affirmations, and visualization. These help me stay centered and become the best version of myself.

Good luck finding your peace and happiness!
  • anyWendy
    Options
    anyWendy wrote: »

Almost exactly my stats. I am also 5'8". I was 223 and age 58 when I started dieting this time. I am 59 now and weigh ~163. Still going to lose just a bit more, but very slowly. I don't want to go into my 60s overweight; I want to do everything I can to improve the odds of making it to retirement and then having a long active retirement. I also didn't like what I saw in the mirror and didn't like the image I project. I may have my job end and need to find one more before retirement. I already have to get past ageism (even though it is illegal, there is still implicit bias). Being overweight does flavor the impression you make and usually not in a good way. But it is mostly about my health.

Cheers to us! Congrats on your loss and a great perspective.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    My why is for my health both mentally and physically.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,973 Member
    Options
    My biggest "why" and motivator right now is racing. Being fit and in shape is going to be absolutely essential if I want to reach my goals.

After that, it's simply the fact that I feel better. The more active I am, the more energetic I feel throughout the day and it affects my mood, too.

I see my mother (who's never been much for physical activity outside of the very occasional hike) and how much things like rough terrain really give her problems, and I don't want to be like that at her age.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,754 Member
    Options
    My old and ongoing WHY is to stop being plump, plain and dowdy.

My new and now far more important WHY is to avoid getting type 2 diabetes. Type 2 runs in my family. For the first time, I had an HbA1c reading in the pre-diabetic range. I got that result back in January. I really need to be extra careful from now on.