High Morning Blood Sugar

Options
Hi everyone, I have just been recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I have changed my diet with restricted carbs and Calories in hopes of losing weight to prevent going on any type of medication. My only issue so far is that I have really high blood sugar in the morning with the rest of my blood sugar levels staying relatively normal through out the day. I just wanted to know if anyone out there has the same issues and how you have been able to solve the high blood sugar issue?

Replies

• ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    It's called dawn phenomenon, and it's pretty common. If your BG is good for the rest of the day, you should be doing fine. You can have a protein & carb snack before bed if it worries you -- cheese on a cracker, maybe. If it keeps up, talk to your doctor and he/she may have more ideas.
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    There's a Type 2 Diabetes Support Group on here, that I would encourage anyone with type 2 diabetes to join. You'll find a lot and get a lot of great information.

I'm type 2 as well with dawn phenomenon. It's is very common and people manage it differently. I don't do anything about my morning spikes, since none of the common advice seems to work for me, besides managing my glucose levels with diet and exercise, and losing weight.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Yes look up dawn phenomenon.