50 - 60 ish

Options
Need some inspiration from women that are 50 - 60 ish that have been having success in losing weight. I just can't seem to make anything work.

Replies

• skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Welcome to my fitness pal! :smile:
  • Wisawobby
    Options
    I just started a couple weeks ago and I find that I'm really not dieting I'm just watching what I'm eating. This website has really helped me to think before I eat something. Also I'm reading "YOU on a Diet" and it makes a lot of sense. It is definitely is harder to lose after you turn about 45. I'm here to help you if you are interested in sharing recipes, etc. We are on our way to the gym right now but write me if you want to know more about the "lifestyle change" I am on.

Lisa aka Wisawobby
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 and have lost 9lbs.since June. I have about 20-25 more to lose. The support on this site has helped me stick with the logging in of the food and exercise because you know others are doing it too. Feel free to add me and check out my diary.:wink:
  • grmpy1
    grmpy1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I am 56 years young and I am working on my life style change. I started on MFP the end of July and since then I have lost 11.5 lbs. I decided a year ago to lose weight and so far I have lost a total of 34.5 lbs in a year. It isn't easy but it well worth it. I still have a lot of weight to lose but if anything has given me the push to keep it going is this site. I have met some great people and if I need motivation they are right there to give me a hand.

Keeping your food diary is one of the best ways to see where you need to improve your eating. If exercise isn't your thing, just try small changes..like taking stairs instead of elevators. Park further out in a parking lot. Any small change will help, and it usually ends up leading to bigger and better things.

Don't give up so fast. But you have to want it to make it happen. Think positive and you can do whatever you put your mind to. Surround yourself with friends on MFP that will encourage you and help you when you need it. We are all here for the same reasons...healthier happier lives! Good Luck on your journey.
  • BeckyShields
    Options
    Hi grmpy1 ... thanks for the uplift! I am just now reading up on MFP. I have a good friend using it with success. My goal this week is to read thru' the site and get set up. I am 58 and need to lose "a whole bunch" so I guess there's no better time to start than now! I'd like to lose 60 x 60 .. sixty lbs by age sixty! But, it's really hard to get started .. I'll have to set several smaller goals. Much easier!
    I'll keep in touch .... becky
  • NanaDebby
    NanaDebby Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I will be 52 next month and like so many of us, really thought I would have this "weight thing" licked by this age! But I'm still at it. I agree with others who say that the food and exercise log is very important. Even if you eat a piece of chocolate cake, you can still log it and fit it in to your day if that is important to you. I had three Margaritas last weekend (not all at once!) and fit them into my calorie count. It is also nice to see in black and white how well you have been doing, so if you feel like you need a little pick-me up, you can check your food log, see how many calories you have consumed and decide if it is worth it to you. At least that's how it works for me. Everyone is different. Just know that you are not alone!!!!
  • YoungGma29
    Options
    Welcome! I turn 53 in a month and i have a lot of weight to lose. I have done this a couple of times in my life - lost the weight and regained. I can tell you it is way harder now than in my 30's. Part of it is because I mentally go back and forth between wanting to lose the weight & feel better and then again, I am kind of happy just floating along with things the way they are. I feel I am in that stage of my life where I should be enjoying myself and not having to worry so much about what I eat. Eating what I want has been part of "enjoying life".

I joined mfp at the beginning of June and I have lost 12lbs so far. That isn't a huge loss, but it is way better than I have done before now. This website has made it so much easier. Logging what you eat is so much easier here. I have tried weight watchers (among other programs) many times and although I believe in the program, I just couldn't get with the points and writing down what I eat. I find that mfp seems to fit easier for me so I don't have a problem logging my food. I don't feel cheated or deprived this time around.

As others have said, make sure you log everything. Seeing those calories daily is a huge eye opener. I find I log in just to check the calories BEFORE I decide to eat something. I find that I check the calorie counts of restaurants BEFORE I go. I have talked myself out of many things so far after I see the calories and what I have left for the day. And, Sometimes I still go for it and just know that I ate too many calories that day. I can choose to exercise to work off those extra calories, or I can choose to blow it off until tomorrow. Either way, I feel more in control than I have in the past. I am finally losing weight and I now truly feel it is a lifestyle change and not a deprivation.

I know I will eventually get there and the support on this site helps a lot. I like reading other peoples posts because something will usually click for that particular day and it helps to keep me motivated. Again, just make sure you log in every day - many times a day and log everything you eat and your exercise.
  • ihavenowaist
    Options
    Welcome Valda! You'll love it here!

I have been overweight since the age of 6, with the exception of a brief period when I lost all my excess pounds in my forties. That didnt last as long as I would have liked.

I always thought that once I reached a certain age, my weight wouldnt matter, that being "plump" would be acceptable by both myself and others. You know, comfortable middle age plumpness! Guess I didnt realize that middle age plumpness comes with a host of medical problems including dangerously high blood pressure. :sad:

So, good luck making healthy lifestyle changes! Track your food! Be aware! It will all work in your favor!

Peace