Carb Counting

Options
Does is seem that the carbs for recipes are way off with the MyFitnessPal app? When I import a recipe from a website the carb count is A LOT higher than what it would add up to normally. Has anyone else had this issue and how did you fix it?

Replies

• boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    MFP rarely shows Net carbs... if that is what you are talking about.
    If you are not watching calories, adjust the item to get the correct carbs.
  • jonelsonic9
    jonelsonic9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the same thing with the carbs being way off. For example, the breakfast wrap at dunkin donuts is listed as 5 carbs here and also the nutrition documentation from dunkin, which makes sense, the egg, cheese and bacon are all close to 0 and the small tortilla is 4-5. However, if you go to steak and shake and look up the same breakfast, this site says 17 grams, it's the same ingredients! How do you provide feedback to the MFP team?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    A couple of thoughts.........you may be expecting net carbs as Boehle pointed out. The "net carbs" are going to be a problem because this site is international. Some food labels are going to be net carb, while others are not (US entries for example).

Another possibility is the entry was manually added by a user on the site. Plenty of incorrect entries in the database. I came across a high carb, low fat entry for peanuts :s
  • vintageshopgirl1947
    Options
    I found the same problem. The said my own healthy muffin had 22 carbs when I went item by item adding up the carbs and came up with 13 and that was not using net carbs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    hyder124 wrote: »
    Does is seem that the carbs for recipes are way off with the MyFitnessPal app? When I import a recipe from a website the carb count is A LOT higher than what it would add up to normally. Has anyone else had this issue and how did you fix it?

When I've imported a recipe from a website, I almost always have to go through and make sure the ingredients came in as they were supposed to, and they usually don't so I've had to edit...then of course, you have to make sure the actual entries that are brought in or manually edited/entered are actually legit entries.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    The last time I imported a recipe, one of the steps in the process was to match up the ingredients in the recipe with ingredients in MFP. I don't know how that matching works, but I'm betting there is a TON of room for error there, not just in respect to carbs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    The last time I imported a recipe, one of the steps in the process was to match up the ingredients in the recipe with ingredients in MFP. I don't know how that matching works, but I'm better there is a TON of room for error there, not just in respect to carbs.

Yes...exactly. It's helpful to be able to import from a recipe on another site, but I've never seen everything match up perfectly or even close...I've always had to manually edit..sometimes not too much, but other times pretty much the whole recipe.