Pushing yourself during cardio

Options
What do you guys think is a better way to tell if you're pushing yourself hard enough: heart rate, sweating, going out of breath?...
I've noticed something during my cardio sessions that confuses me... I either do:

a) Stationary bike, HIIT, 30 seconds sprint (medium resistance) 30 seconds rest at medium speed (kinda higher resistance) for 50 min. Gets me out of breath, my HR is pretty high throughout, but I don't really sweat.

b) Stationary bike for 60 min. 5-10 min medium speed (medium-high resistance) 5-10 min slowly (much higher resistance). Makes me sweat a lot, but my HR is lower and I don't get out of breath.

I wonder why this happens, and in which workout you'd say I'm pushing myself harder? I get more tired when I do b) that a) yet I don't get to go as fast, but leaves me more sweaty and that is confusing to me.. Any thoughts on this?

Replies

• hrod215
    hrod215 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    In each of your workouts you are accomplishing something different. Workout A is more cardio focused which is why you find yourself out of breath. Workout B is more strength and recovery focused. You are going long periods of time with med-high resistance causing you to use your muscles more and burning more energy, which accounts for the sweating. I think you are pushing yourself hard enough I both your workouts. Keep up the great work!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Pushing yourself hard enough for what? If you look at the way runners and cyclist train, it's not all about going as hard as you can all of the time.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Sweat is your body's method of cooling off. It just means you got hot, not that you worked out more. For me, I go by breathing. If I'm gulping air, I'm going to hard. If I can chit-chat, I'm going too slow.
  • 39laurita39
    39laurita39 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Pushing yourself hard enough for what? If you look at the way runners and cyclist train, it's not all about going as hard as you can all of the time.

To get the most out of your workout, I guess?
    Performing in different ways makes you burn more/less calories right?
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

To get the most out of your workout, I guess?
    Performing in different ways makes you burn more/less calories right?

Kinda. Calories burnt are going to be a product of your average power (can think of this as pace for running) during the workout. In other words, if you do a running workout where you alternate 200m at 6:00 mile pace with 200m at 10:00 mile pace, and do that for 4 miles, you'll burn the same calories as you would if you can 4 miles in a steady 32'.

Now, as a general rule, at very high exercises intensities you can burn the most calories by going at an even, steady pace. On the bike I can ride at 330w for 45'. That burns approximately 900 calories. If I tried to alternate doing 480w/180w for 30s at a time, I wouldn't be able to go for 45', I might only be able to go for 10'. If I wanted to go for 45', I might need to do 420w/120w, which would only average 270w, and burn about 750 kcal.

That said, the workout that burned more calories would not neccessarily be "harder". It would just be a different kind of hard. These different kinds of hard accomplish different things depending on what your goals are.

If you want to burn calories, then just about anything that keeps you active and moving is good. If you want to get "fitter" then the goal should always be to increase the overall training volume (i.e. go from 3 hours per week to 4 hours per week), the intensity (ride the hard parts harder), or the recovery (make the recovery harder/shorter). Their always has to be progression to drive improvement.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    hrod215 wrote: »
    In each of your workouts you are accomplishing something different. Workout A is more cardio focused which is why you find yourself out of breath. Workout B is more strength and recovery focused. You are going long periods of time with med-high resistance causing you to use your muscles more and burning more energy, which accounts for the sweating. I think you are pushing yourself hard enough I both your workouts. Keep up the great work!

This is really accurate from my read too. I don't do much stationary bike any more but do mostly indoor rowing. You can adjust the "drag factor" or DF on a rower by adjusting up the damper (not resistance as most people call it). I can do the same distance for 50 minutes and on one row adjust the damper so each stroke is more powerful but slows down more quickly (like a bike in low gear) or I can put the damper/DF to a lower setting and do more SPM (Strokes per minute, like RPM on a bike) work and get a better aerobic workout.

I find the ones where the resistance is higher (and more powerful) much harder. Like hrod mentioned, your muscles are fatiguing more in that scenario. You don't want to do that too many times a week, though. Maybe once or twice a week tops if it's really draining you. That type of workout will better build muscle endurance. It also tends to be more of a lactic acid tolerance workout than the other is my understanding. You'll get cardio benefits from both workouts. If you're truly pushing that type of workout, though, where the resistance is higher, your HR should climb through the course of the workout and be pretty high by the end. If not, you're not really pushing the resistance as much as you think. I sweat buckets on that type of workout.
  • 39laurita39
    Options
    Thank you guys for your responses, I see now that these workouts target different results so it's normal they felt so different to me.. Lol I might start doing them both at the same time, 30 min each.
  • 39laurita39
    Options

This is really accurate from my read too. I don't do much stationary bike any more but do mostly indoor rowing. You can adjust the "drag factor" or DF on a rower by adjusting up the damper (not resistance as most people call it). I can do the same distance for 50 minutes and on one row adjust the damper so each stroke is more powerful but slows down more quickly (like a bike in low gear) or I can put the damper/DF to a lower setting and do more SPM (Strokes per minute, like RPM on a bike) work and get a better aerobic workout.

I find the ones where the resistance is higher (and more powerful) much harder. Like hrod mentioned, your muscles are fatiguing more in that scenario. You don't want to do that too many times a week, though. Maybe once or twice a week tops if it's really draining you. That type of workout will better build muscle endurance. It also tends to be more of a lactic acid tolerance workout than the other is my understanding. You'll get cardio benefits from both workouts. If you're truly pushing that type of workout, though, where the resistance is higher, your HR should climb through the course of the workout and be pretty high by the end. If not, you're not really pushing the resistance as much as you think. I sweat buckets on that type of workout.

So would it be possible to build muscle during a high-resistance cardio session? Sorry if that's a silly question, your answer was really helpful but I'm not familiar with muscle endurance so I'm not sure if that has nothing to do with building muscle too. Thanks again
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    I'm not as knowledgeable as a lot of people on here when it comes to muscle development. All I know is that I gained 10 lbs of muscle over around 2 years moving from running and lifting to mostly rowing (and some lifting). I do think that you can build muscle over time but it's not going to be obvious. Look at professional biker's legs. Most believe that the best way to build muscle is low reps and I'd agree with that probably but that's more important for strength. Many trainers well respected (including Pavel Tsatsouline) have said don't neglect high rep/low weight work too, especially for legs. Women will only gain so much muscle because they don't have the Testosterone men have. And your legs won't get bigger (or shouldn't) until you reach a very low BF level, so to answer your question, yes, I think you can build functional muscle and get much more toned. But you're not going to get much bigger (if at all being female).

https://www.strongfirst.com/should-you-train-your-slow-fibers/
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,507 Member
    Options
    I wear a Road ID brand identification bracelet when I train with cardio. It's metal plate is engraved with all of my information and emergency contacts.

The paramedics will know immediately who I am

It's also engraved with the phrase:

" Did I Win ?? "
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

So would it be possible to build muscle during a high-resistance cardio session? Sorry if that's a silly question, your answer was really helpful but I'm not familiar with muscle endurance so I'm not sure if that has nothing to do with building muscle too. Thanks again

You can build muscle riding a bike, but it's sub optimal and will come at a glacial pace compared to what you can do in the weight room.