I dread gym time :(

Options
keesh91
keesh91 Posts: 4 Member
One day I was super motivated to join a gym and get super healthy. I’m super shy by the way like to the core! I was actually excited about going and when I finally got the balls to go I instantly was regretting my choice. I felt like all eyes were on me lol and felt like i was making a fool out of myself. Granted no one probably cared lol but I was a wreck. I haven’t gone since so I’m wasting money smh does anyone else get nervous when it’s time to go or is it just my Insecurities lol

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Everyone is doing their own thing. Just do it!
  • HeatherLW32
    HeatherLW32 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am the SAME way!!! Today, I more or less forced myself through my workout. I just was not feeling it at all. And I feel you on the shyness. My anxiety goes through the roof when I'm there. I try to go as early as possible so there's not a lot of people. I like to keep myself distracted while I workout by either focusing on what I'm doing or finding some really awesome music and getting lost in it.
  • keesh91
    keesh91 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks! Was starting to feel like the only one who felt anxious during workouts!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    Can you work out at home? If you're not enjoying workouts at the gym maybe change the way you exercise.

I quit the gym about 18 months ago, it was just too busy and I wasn't very comfortable trying to get around the bro-squad that are always by the weight, now I have some weights at home and go running/rowing/hiking/walking for cardio.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    If you really hate the gym finding another activity you like and can enjoy doing elsewhere - whether that is walking or running outdoors, or cycling.. etc.

Also there are plenty of workouts you can do at home, check out youtube for workouts like Jessica Smith TV, Fitness Blender, Nerd Fitness.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I've been self-conscious at the gym, too, but the more often you go the less that will be a problem for you. Honest! For me, I took a Zumba class and took a spot in the back of the room. I could see the instructor but most people had their back to me. Now I've got the confidence to be anywhere.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    You can definitely work out at home - if you need to quit, don't stress about it. But working through your shyness might be good for you. Remember everyone else there was new once and felt uncomfortable. Most people think kindly of others most of the time, when they notice them at all.

Try going when the gym is less busy, taking a friend for support, or if there is a free session with a trainer get one to show you the equipment so you feel more confident.

If you notice anyone specific paying too much attention to you, instead of feeling embarrassed, try smiling and saying, "I'm new and I feel like I don't know what I'm doing." Nine times out of ten that will lead to someone helping you and a new friend.
  • kellynrwood
    kellynrwood Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't get that at all, but Gold's Gym actually has a "Lady's Gold" section that is behind frosted glass doors, and it is a smaller, more private version of the regular gym. It's adjacent to a machine that I use a lot, so I always kind of laugh when I see it, but apparently the problem that you have is pretty common with women. I might seek out another gym that is maybe smaller, or has a more private area for women. Good luck to you! The gym is my "me time" place, where I just zone out and do my own thing. Hopefully when you get more confidence it won't bother you any more.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I don't get that at all, but Gold's Gym actually has a "Lady's Gold" section that is behind frosted glass doors, and it is a smaller, more private version of the regular gym. It's adjacent to a machine that I use a lot, so I always kind of laugh when I see it, but apparently the problem that you have is pretty common with women. I might seek out another gym that is maybe smaller, or has a more private area for women. Good luck to you! The gym is my "me time" place, where I just zone out and do my own thing. Hopefully when you get more confidence it won't bother you any more.

world gym used to have the same...but i got sick of all the equipment that was out of service; no barbells that went above 15lbs etc
  • amlelas68
    amlelas68 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Have you thought of going at different time where its less busy. Because i was the same way at first and switch things up and even when i am there i put in ear phones and listen to up lifting music so I feel good about being there. What i do is 3 days a week at gym and then the other days are home video work outs.If not I suggest home work outs . As long as your getting your work out in that all that matters.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,812 Member
    Options
    yes, I have horrible anxiety like that. I finally just forced myself to go, and it got easier. I mean i still hessitate, but I refuse to let it stop me, My anxiety has prevented me from doing alot of stuff in life, and Im trying hard to not let it hold me back any longer.
  • rayzerwolf
    rayzerwolf Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    It makes me uncomfortable to. Doesn't help that when I see someone doing something wrong I have a tendency to stare and I wonder where they learned that. Did they see someone else do it or did they just make it up as they go. I try and go when there are less people at the gym. Most of the time I try and not to watch other people but there are some machines that I haven't figured out and so I watch other people to learn. Most people don't care what you do.
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way until I did joined a special (read: expensive) lifting type program at my old gym. I learned so much from it, and now I don't worry about those things anymore. Now that my workouts have developed, I am more focused on that and I understand now that everyone else there is too. It was hard for me to truly know that before experiencing it myself. Don't worry about anyone else there might think!
  • WendyJoy76
    WendyJoy76 Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Hi @ Keesh91 , I am SUPER shy too, and it use to bother me too, mostly when they were super busy. I bring my headphones and play music to keep me focus and it drowns out what going on around me or if I am on the treadmill I watch a movie or show on my phone. you can do this, after a few trips you will start to enjoy it!!
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Pop I your headphones, and do your thing. No one is paying attention to you they are in their own zone doing their thing. They also were at one time in the same position as you. Once you make it a habit you will be good to go.