Runners stitch

Options
I am a VERY new runner, and I keep getting that stupid side stitch. Sometimes it will be at the beginning of my workout, sometimes it'll come at the end, and sometimes it barely shows up at all. Any suggestions on how to make it not come at all???

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    1. Slow down
    2. Don't eat within two hours of a full meal (have an easily digestible snack if you need)
    3. If you DO get a stitch breathe out HARD whenever your left foot its the ground until it's gone.

As you're new to running, you'll also find you get a stitch far less as you adapt.

Good luck!
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    How long before your run are you eating, and how much? I find that I only get side stitches if I've eaten too recently. If you can't run on empty, just have something small at least 30-45 minutes before your run (and stop drinking water within the hour before). I usually run after work, so I'll have an apple on my commute and by the time I'm home and changed, I'm good.
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side_stitch Has some good info.

It used to happen to me too when I was just starting out.

Try to change your breathing, and/or your form and see if that helps.
  • horseryder77
    horseryder77 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    1. Slow down
    2. Don't eat within two hours of a full meal (have an easily digestible snack if you need)
    3. If you DO get a stitch breathe out HARD whenever your left foot its the ground until it's gone.

As you're new to running, you'll also find you get a stitch far less as you adapt.

Good luck!

I agree with this!
    For me, when I get stitches, I take really deep breaths while running. Make sure it's a breath from your diaphragm, and keep breathing deep until it subsides.
    Also, I'm now training for a half marathon-but I started out doing the c25k. It really does get easier, and the stitches do go away. you'll probably find the more you run without stopping, the less stitches you get. I did a 6.5 mile run this Sunday.. without stopping, and I felt great! And the week before I did 5, but had to stop after 2.5 for a stop light.. and then I got really bad stitches and then had to work even harder to keep going. It's like your body is like "oh, we're done now? Okay I'll start "coming down" "

So make sure to take your deep breaths and try not to eat up to an hr before you run.
  • strongwoman84
    strongwoman84 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before I run. I generally wake up, stretch, and then get going. I'm not very fast at all. I figured it had something to do with breathing, or form, or something like that. I try to deep breathe, but it doesn't seem to help much. I guess this is one of those things of "practice makes perfect." HAHA! I very much enjoy running when that stitch isn't there. I up my time on my running to walking ratio tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes. Thanks guys!
  • strongwoman84
    strongwoman84 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side_stitch Has some good info.

It used to happen to me too when I was just starting out.

Try to change your breathing, and/or your form and see if that helps.

Thanks! That is a great site to keep handy
  • HealthIsMyHobby
    HealthIsMyHobby Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Side stitch is a cramp in your diaphram. As you conditioning improves the stitch will stop happening. For relief try stretching out the muscle by raising your arm (on the same side as the stitch) over your head and bending to the oposite side. Good luck. Keep training.
  • BerryH
    Options
    I don't eat before I run. I generally wake up, stretch, and then get going.
    It's generally accepted now that stretching before exercising does you no good. Make time for a proper warm-up instead - slowly go from a walk to a power walk and into a slow job before starting your session instead, and that may help your stitch too. You could also incorporate full range of motion warm-ups - arm windmills, leg swings etc. Have a good stretch after your run.

Also beware that as you start to increase your distances you will need to fuel your runs. This might mean getting up earlier to eat a banana or something then having breakfast when you get back, or running later in the day, whatever suits you.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    ]It's generally accepted now that stretching before exercising does you no good.
    Can you provide references on this?
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Usually when it happens to me, it's one of two things, either I haven't had enough water for the day, or too much sodium.
  • BerryH
    Options
    ]It's generally accepted now that stretching before exercising does you no good.
    Can you provide references on this?
    Sure, here's a couple one on how it reduces performance and another on how it does not prevent injury. These seem to be backed up by other articles I've read based on recent research - others are just a Google away. I stand by warming up being vital, though!

http://running.competitor.com/2011/06/sports-science-update/sports-science-update-static-stretching-before-running_29625

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12459173

Word of warning, if you do it already, don't change!
    http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20110217/stretch-before-running-new-twist-on-old-debate
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Relax your shoulders/upper arms and your breathing.. Swing them around mid-run. Look like a monkey, we don't care. When you run, are you tense/anxious/stressed? All this can contribute...