Do you actually wash your HRM chest strap?

Options
The directions say to throw in the washing machine every 5 wears. I always rinse mine off after each use--is this sufficient or should I actually be throwing it in the washing machine?

Replies

• UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Yes - I throw mine in a lingerie bag and wash it on warm with the rest of my laundry every weekend.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I rinse it after every use and handwash in the shower once a week using baby shampoo.
  • aimeeturner
    aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I do the same as UpEarly
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Mine (Polar Wearlink) says not to machine wash.

I just take it with me into the shower when I get home from the gym and wash it by hand with soap and water and hang it on the towel rack to dry.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    I'm a man.............are you kidding? Okay once a week, I throw it in the sink and hand wash out the salts and sweat. I don't sweat that much so air drying it after wearing it really helps.
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I throw mine in the washing machine once a week. Seems to do the trick and no adverse effects to the strap.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I actually went for about 4 months without washing mine (gross, I know). I only washed it for the first time recently because I actually looked in the book and noticed it said every 5 wears. I probably should have read that sooner but it didn't seem to affect it. I rinse it off really well as soon as I'm done working out. Although I have decided I'm gonna throw it in the wash every time I do laundry (which is about once a week).
  • lucky1304
    lucky1304 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I had NO idea that it was supposed to be washed. So my answer is no. Oops.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I don't.... my husband does. :drinker: :drinker:

It's probably a good idea to actually wash it. Think of all the bacteria and such that can grow in a warm damp environment, such as a sweaty chest strap.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yes! I want it to last as long as possible so I follow the owner's manual instructions. Wet before each use for proper transmission (for newer Polar models), rinse off afterwards and wash once per week in a lingerie bag. I did mess up and put it in the dryer once by accident but it doesn't seem to have caused any problems thus far.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Yep. I've had to wash mine twice in the last week alone... I've been working out everyday (doing 30 Day Shred - almost done with it!) and also running a few times a week or riding my bike.
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I throw mine in the bottom of the shower with my knee brace about twice a week and then wash them both with baby shampoo.
  • cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Same as a couple of others here, mine gets washed everytime it's used - it just take it in the shower with me, rinse it and hang it to dry. Never ever goes in the washing machine - can't imagine that's good for the electrodes.
  • deesjourney2fit
    Options
    Most of the time, I hand wash in the shower with soap and hang dry. I sometimes toss in the washer if it needs it which is rare. Hand washing seems to do the trick!
  • kitujainen
    kitujainen Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I can throw mine in the bin because it stopped showing burnt calories and repair shop just said to set the timer on. Weell excuse me!
  • Chika_2015
    Chika_2015 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Well first off all i don't wet mine before i put it on. By the time i get to the gym, i have already sweated and thus instant lubrication. And as far as washing it, i NEVER knew that. wow you're suppose to wash it? I always thought getting it wet would interfere with the elecronics on the inside. I better read the owners manual...oh wait, i threw that out after i set up my HRM. Oh an I have a New Balance HRM, if that means anything.

~Chika
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I hate to admit it, but I have never washed mine either. Fortunately, we are virtual, so I don't have to watch everyone walking to the other side of the room. :) Having said thaat I think I will hand-wash it with a facecloth and liquid soap. I don't think it would do much for the electronics to throw it in the washing machine.
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    not every 5 uses like they say but i do wash on occassion, throw it in a mesh wash bag and put in machine, usually after i workout i hang it in the shower and it gets a nice wash that way
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've got the Polar FT4 with the detachable strap. So, I'm pretty sure that's the only part you're supposed to put in the washer. I wash mine about once a week since I get pretty sweaty during workouts. The electrode part I just wipe down with a damp cloth when I'm done working out.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Mines in the washing machine as I'm typing this. My rule of thumb is, every time a load of my workout clothes go in, the strap goes in too. Just wash it with normal detergent, no fabric softener and let it line dry.

Edited to say:
    For the people who thought the washing machine is going to ruin it, all your doing is getting it wet like you would when you before you wear it to workout and during the workout.. the only difference is the machine is adding soap. If wearing it doesn't ruin it, I highly doubt the washing machine would.. unless you put it on some crazy spin cycle.