Depression and Anxiety: What works for you?

Options
I hit one year sobriety at the beginning of this month. After pondering what a next step was, I decided to come back to MFP. I'd had success in the past and wanted another taste. My success here had helped me regulate other areas of my life, but alcohol eventually contributed to making my exercise and eating practices unmanageable and then forgotten.

So now I'm back, slowly getting my feet wet, e.g., logging on every day, even if it's just to see other peeps wins, devoting a little time each day to exercise, and starting to cook fairly healthy foods again (I know apricot chicken isn't the most healthy thing...but it's better than Flaming Hot Cheetos and a Red Bull for lunch).

I plan to keep plodding on but figured I'd reach out for ideas, encouragement, support, etc.

Go team
40865010442_9dd45ed3e5.jpgMovaraCamelback by Iosefa Toelupe, on Flickr

Replies

• skimninja
    skimninja Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    A massive congratulations on your sobriety!!!! You should be ever so proud of yourself and I send you the most positive vibes on continuing that success.
  • Torygetsfit
    Torygetsfit Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your anniversary! Impressive! I have two anxiety disorders and what has helped me is making my work outs a priority. My anxiety sky rockets when I haven’t had my workouts.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    well done! I manage my anxiety with breathing (try calm app) yin yoga, meditation, walking...talking it out helps too.
  • bronaghCPM
    bronaghCPM Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your anniversary!
    Eating well and exercising really helps me. If I can feel my mood start to shift over a few days I'll try to get in as many runs or do as much yoga as I can fit in. It's not a cure, but being healthier in general and improving your quality of life means you're better equipped for dealing with episodes of anxiety and depression.

You're doing great, you should be very proud!
  • hamobu
    hamobu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Things that help me:

1. Going to bed on time (My wife takes computer mouse and remote controls so that I don't stay up)
    2. Exercise (treat it like medication)
    3. Meditation (treat it like medication)
    4. Quitting coffee

I have also started trying meds to see if that helps.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I would have never lost weight when drinking. I thought the whole thing, sobriety, weight loss, exercise would leave me on the outside looking in.

Joke was on me. What I found was liberation. Go figure.

Ideas? You keep a food diary? Yeah, it’s a pain at first, but it gets easier. If you want to lose weight, nothing better. But you have to keep at it through good times and bad. It works.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Regular bedtimes, workouts and eating regularly but healthily.
    Staying in a less-stressful job with understanding boss.
  • AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Like two others have said, a regular bedtime helps me
    I crochet when I just feel completely anxious - it helps calm my mind - the repetition of the hook and yarn just help me.
    Otherwise, healthy eating, keeping a balance and treating my gym time like a trip to a therapist appointment.
    I am also on an anti-anxiety med that really keeps me balanced.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    BRAVO! BRAAAAAVO!! And happy Anniversary! This is the best thing you could have ever done for yourself.
    Exercise is your best friend when fighting depression. Get those endorphins going in your brain for a natural high!
    And don't sweat the small stuff in life. It ain't nuthin' but a "Thang"!
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    Sweet pic and congrats on the sobriety. I believe that being out in nature has a way of resetting the ego.

• CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Congratulations! That's a massive accomplishment. I suffer from anxiety and insomnia, and typically I can manage it with a regular exercise routine, good sleep hygiene, generally being aware of my own mental health status and intervening if things start to get worse by using various coping or wellness tools - things like mindfulness exercises, yoga, going for extra walks, spending time sitting outside in the sun, writing letters to or talking with family/friends, spending time with pets, engaging in hobbies like playing video games or cooking - basically, finding ways to structure my time so I don't find myself with nothing to do, when I woumd be more likely to dwell on negative thinking. Generally just being aware enough of my mental status to intervene immediately to keep an even keel. That being said, I'm experiencing very high levels of work stress lately and have had to take some measures to compartmentalize work and personal life, but I'm also considering going back on anti-anxiety and anti-insomnia medication. I have taken vistaril in the past, and while it helped I think I will investigate other options.

The single most important factor in managing my mental health is a consistent and challenging fitness routine. It improves every other aspect of my life, from better sleep to massively improved self-worth.
  • SalinitySally
    SalinitySally Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have a son who self-medicated until being diagnosed as bipolar. What helps him stay sober:

High quality nutrition
    Vitamin B complex
    Vitamin D
    Fish oil
    Drinking plenty of water
    Sleep hygiene (consistent hours)
    Regular workouts
    Outdoor time (we live near mountains and the hiking/climbing/skiing opportunities are incredible)
    Avoiding toxic people
    Finding a moment every day for gratitude
  • missemree
    missemree Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I’ve found that exercising has been a good outlet. Also I’d rather eat good food than waste my calories on alcohol. Depression and anxiety is hard to deal with but I’m glad you’re pushing through. My therapist said find a hobby, I guess mine is running now :)
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Welcome back!!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your sobriety!! That is major, as you know!

I have struggled with generalized anxiety disorder since I was a young child and still do at 41. I've also had depression on and off throughout my teens and adult life. I've gone to a couple of therapists through the years but haven't done meds (not that there's anything wrong with that). I feel that some therapists/counselors are a much better fit than others so mileage varies. Overall, it's helped me mainly to feel justified & heard, like "yes, I have an anxiety disorder, I'm not just whiny & crazy, and it's a common thing I can deal with".

I am afraid I'll mostly just echo others' responses in saying that routines and physical activity help my anxiety very much. I take fish oil daily on my last therapist's recommendation. I also have a less stressful job than some of my past jobs (which for me contributed to weight loss as well, as I would stress-eat A LOT in my most high-stress job).

Most of all for me it's SELF CARE that gets me through. I know a lot of it's really common sense but I'd urge you to just search "self care skills" or "self care habits" for ideas. What helps one person immensely may not have much affect on another. For me the #1 thing that helps me is taking a hot bath for about 40 minutes every single morning to soothe myself and get clean in the process.
  • tomasart
    tomasart Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    You are awesome and a winner. I fight my anxiety thru church, singing and working out. I think its keeping your mind in other places, where ever that may be. Best Wishes my friend.
  • BryanHoffman74
    BryanHoffman74 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Both work for me. :o
    Humor
    use this app to watch diet
    exercise
    therapy
    Z
  • adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the sobriety, I applaud your success. Everyone has posted great tips. I agree about getting enough sleep. Try to avoid tv or laptop/screen use at least an hour b4 bed, and get at least 15 minutes of sunshine every day. Exercise also helps tremendously to combat depression.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    AmsLP wrote: »
    I'm 2 days sober. I quit alcohol and cigarettes together. I gained 60 pounds in 2 years from my excessive drinking, so here I am again. Counting calories and trying to get 8,000+ steps in a day.

I suffer from anxiety and depression, I'm on medication which helps some but other than that I can't help since I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. :/

Hey AmsLP! Two days is huge. Figuring out (a) mechanism(s) that will work for you long-term is even bigger. You can do it, though! In the beginning, when my sponsor would ask me "How long has it been since the last drink?" and "How long was it before?", I'd answer respectively, "A couple of days" and "A couple of hours." I think his point was to say even if it feels like I've only been at it for a short time, it's much better than where I was. Keep on keeping on! Add me if you'd like some support! :)