Leucine

Options
Silkysausage
Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
I take my bcaa's on gym days but should I be having them on rest days too? I'm a vegan and read that plant based eaters when build muscle could be missing out.

Replies

• omar57
    omar57 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would take them on rest days. A lot of people have this mindset that on rest days they have to eat less since they are not training that day. But when we’re not training is when our body’s are recovering and repairing the muscles. So yea take them on rest days they’re just as important as training days
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I take my bcaa's on gym days but should I be having them on rest days too? I'm a vegan and read that plant based eaters when build muscle could be missing out.

I wouldn't even bother taking them. If anything consume complete proteins so you can get protein turnover.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    If vegan, I would definitely recommend getting 3 grams of leucine in with every meal regardless if you trained or not. Without it, muscle synthesis is impossible.

Part of the draw back of a vegan lifestyle and trying to build muscle or even retain muscle for that matter is leucine isn't a given like for somebody who is carnivorous.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    omar57 wrote: »
    I would take them on rest days. A lot of people have this mindset that on rest days they have to eat less since they are not training that day. But when we’re not training is when our body’s are recovering and repairing the muscles. So yea take them on rest days they’re just as important as training days

Except BCAAs are essentially a flavoured drink mix.

Why not supplement with a plant based vegan protein powder instead and actually get benefits
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Vegan or not, BCAAs do nothing for muscle growth in the absence of the other essential amino acids. You may as well be drinking kool-aid.
  • jessef593
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Vegan or not, BCAAs do nothing for muscle growth in the absence of the other essential amino acids. You may as well be drinking kool-aid.

And throw a $5 bill out everytime you make a glass
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I've ordered a supplement, I already have a pea protein isolate powder that I have twice a day.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    2ymyve2obaek.jpg
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »

I agree that they are worthless but $5 a serving? Less than $1.00 for most brands. So cheaper than a can of soda from a machine and about as helpful.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    Okiludy wrote: »

I agree that they are worthless but $5 a serving? Less than $1.00 for most brands. So cheaper than a can of soda from a machine and about as helpful.

I'd rather have the soda (as long as it's diet).
  • jessef593
    Options

It was obviously an exaggeration. That may be in the states. In Canada. It's around $2 a serving. The average 30 scoop pre workout is $45 up to $60 a container.
  • jessef593
    Options
    ^^^ Haha totally wasn't meant to come off cut and dry. Was supposed to be sarcastic/humorous.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options

Oh, I agree and it tastes better for the most part. I did try ON Amino Energy the other day and it was OK and caffeine wasn't bad. It's more an essential amino so maybe more useful? I don't know. I do know that it didn't taste to bad and the price of it on sale would have been $0.7 a serving.
  • AnvilHead
    Options

Oh, I agree and it tastes better for the most part. I did try ON Amino Energy the other day and it was OK and caffeine wasn't bad. It's more an essential amino so maybe more useful? I don't know. I do know that it didn't taste to bad and the price of it on sale would have been $0.7 a serving.

Meh. Just my .02, but I'd rather drink a cup of coffee for energy and have a protein shake somewhere around the workout. At least that way you know you're getting all the EAAs and BCAAs in adequate amounts.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Meh. Just my .02, but I'd rather drink a cup of coffee for energy and have a protein shake somewhere around the workout. At least that way you know you're getting all the EAAs and BCAAs in adequate amounts.

Not all protien shakes have enough leucine unfortunately.

There are a couple very expensive ones that barely have trace amounts of leucine rendering the muscle synthesis aspect of the protien consumed in the shake by itself nil.

Your shake might have enough, but generally speaking we can't assume that the everybody's shake will too.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Not all protien shakes have enough leucine unfortunately.

There are a couple very expensive ones that barely have trace amounts of leucine rendering the muscle synthesis aspect of the protien consumed in the shake by itself nil.

Your shake might have enough, but generally speaking we can't assume that the everybody's shake will too.

This is especially true with plant based proteins (with the exception of soy sometimes). But it also emphasizes the importance of research, which many don't do.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Ditch the BCAA's, unless you enjoy having an expensive flavored drink.
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options

I must say that the ON Amino Energy grape flavor reminds me a lot of grape kool-aid.
    I've got the peach lemonade flavor right now and it is very tasty, and decently affordable compared to other caffeine drinks (coffee being an exception).