Unpopular Opinion: LISS is Bliss

Options
2»

Replies

• positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Totally agree! When I was starting out, there was no way I would have been able to do HIIT, let alone stick with it!!! I can't tell you the number of Beachbody programs I have bought, only to have them collect dust after the first four days because my body is so sore that I can't sit down, let alone face another workout!
    The most effective exercise for anyone is the one that they are going to stick with. For me, that was exercise DVDs, specifically Ellen Barrett's pilates-dance-yoga fusion style, which were low impact, but made me sweat and to this day remain challenging if done correctly.
    Now that I've lost weight, I also do HIIT training a few times a week, cycle and run, but I still hate those high-impact brain jiggling workouts like Jillian Michaels and Insanity.

^^This. I run, do some kickboxing classes and lift now but when I first started I was able to walk for 1/2 hour or do some very gentle yoga before needing to sit/lie down and grab my inhaler. If someone would have told me it's high intensity workouts or nothing, I would have chosen nothing. I think LISS is a great idea but I don't advocate telling beginners that "they have to do it for 2 hours a day" mainly because they probably can't do it for two hours a day. Telling them they "have to" is counterproductive. Once they can work out at any intensity (unless there are health issues) I'm guessing they increase intensity. Even if they don't they're doing something which is still better than nothing.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Anyone who isn’t trained, regardless of weight, would benefit from spending some months in a low base zone.

I also agree with you. I don’t see any trainers at my gym ever making severely overweight people do activities likely to injure themselves (muscles or otherwise?). Usually it’s easy cardio —elliptical/walking— that works up a sweat, followed by some strength building. And of course anyone in that situation should consult their doctor before working out.

Edit: I’m not telling anyone how to work out. As soon as I think of “HIIT” I think of overcrowded group classes and home videos. Neither provides proper instruction on form nor feedback during workouts.
    HIIT is great but I think a lot of people who practice it in group/home could benefit from taking a moment to more methodically plan their own workouts.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    asviles wrote: »
    "Low Intensity Slow State" basically long slow cardio, a leisurely walk rather than running sprints.

Low intensity, steady state. Whether that's slow or not is all relative.

For me, a low intensity walk is 4mph, for someone else it might be 3mph, of even 2mph.

One of the issues for me is that doing any CV in a gym is pretty dull, and LISS doubly so. I can understand why people see it as boring.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I hit the gym every morning before work. 2x a week I do high intensity intervals and the other days I do LISS for 30-40m. I also lift 3x a week after work. I really believe the LISS helps with muscle recovery, while burning a few calories and energizing my day. What I do know is that I feel like crap if I don't do it.
  • alopez14325
    alopez14325 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I completely agree, there is a huge segment of the population (Obese, sedentary lifestyle, etc) that would benefit from LISS training more so than HIIT..

If you're 350lbs and haven't exercised in a few years, you're so much better off just walking for 30-45 mins than HIIT... I do think there will come a time when that person needs to increase their effort, by exercising longer, increasing the frequency, or walking faster.

After awhile they will probably need to incorporate something like weight training, or moderate exercise like jogging, circuit training, or even HIIT, but even at that point they will benefit from LISS.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I see so many advocates of HIIT and weight lifting but I'll be honest with you, setting up a peddler and passively peddling for two hours in front of the TV is way better for most obese folks than burning out trying to do squats and lunges and jumps. Sure sure there're probably better ways physiologically to burn calories, but I guarantee you big dudes and gals will stick to LISS a heck of a lot more than anything else if they don't embarass/hurt themselves and it doesn't impact their couch/t.v. time. Make up for fewer calories burned per hour by adding hours. The best diet/exercise program is the one you can stick to, so let's start encouraging LISS for those of us less likely to "hit the gym." Does us a lot of good and it don't do you any harm. Thoughts?

this is pretty much inline with recent research - ways to increase your TDEE without going headon ito a high cardio work - the examples like park your car at the back of the store parking lot; take a set of stairs etc

Does that research say that "LISS" activities are *better than* higher intensity workouts for TDEE, or only that they are effective for increasing TDEE?

Estimates and approximations being what they are, my data suggests I burn more calories when my 15k steps include a 5 mile run and normal lifestyle stuff vs normal lifestyle stuff + a crap ton of walking.

That 5 mile run is probably LISS
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I see so many advocates of HIIT and weight lifting but I'll be honest with you, setting up a peddler and passively peddling for two hours in front of the TV is way better for most obese folks than burning out trying to do squats and lunges and jumps. Sure sure there're probably better ways physiologically to burn calories, but I guarantee you big dudes and gals will stick to LISS a heck of a lot more than anything else if they don't embarass/hurt themselves and it doesn't impact their couch/t.v. time. Make up for fewer calories burned per hour by adding hours. The best diet/exercise program is the one you can stick to, so let's start encouraging LISS for those of us less likely to "hit the gym." Does us a lot of good and it don't do you any harm. Thoughts?

this is pretty much inline with recent research - ways to increase your TDEE without going headon ito a high cardio work - the examples like park your car at the back of the store parking lot; take a set of stairs etc

Does that research say that "LISS" activities are *better than* higher intensity workouts for TDEE, or only that they are effective for increasing TDEE?

Estimates and approximations being what they are, my data suggests I burn more calories when my 15k steps include a 5 mile run and normal lifestyle stuff vs normal lifestyle stuff + a crap ton of walking.

You're right, it probably was. I probably didn't even break a sweat. Maybe it wasn't even running. Heck, did I even get off the couch?
  • stanmann571
    Options
    Still don't know what LISS is.

Low intensity steady state cardio.

Doing the same thing for 20-60 minutes.

Running, walking, biking, elliptical, etc

LI is subjective, but is contrasted with HI which is 85-100% of max effort.
  • stanmann571
    Options

You're right, it probably was. I probably didn't even break a sweat. Maybe it wasn't even running. Heck, did I even get off the couch?

Why so salty? Confused about what LISS is?
  • jjpptt2
    edited March 2018
    Options

Is that all there is? LI vs HI? 85% and above vs 84% and lower?

Can HI not be done for more than 20 minutes? Can LI not be done for less than 60?
  • stanmann571
    Options

Can HI not be done for more than 20 minutes? Can LI not be done for less than 60?

IF you're doing it for more than 20 minutes, NO, it's not HI.

LISS is at least 20 minutes...

And yes, there are other things. But a 5 mile run ... IS LISS.

• jjpptt2
    Options

OK, I guess that's that then.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

Must be nice to live in such a well defined black and white world.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    The question is whether the definition of intensity as 'low' or 'high' is based on an absolute metric or up to individual definition?

The normal recommendation to perform 150 minutes of moderate intensity exercise per week actually uses a definition of 'moderate' that I think most of us would consider really easy (something like HR above 50% of max). Heck, my 'easy' intensity (~75% of max) qualifies as 'vigorous' activity and that's an effort level I can easily maintain for a couple of hours.

I do think that people sometimes stretch the definition of 'low intensity' to make things a bit too easy for themselves. Sure, any activity is better than nothing but I have to think that there's a floor to effort levels below which you just won't realize much of the benefits of exercise.

So that 2 hour leisurely stroll? Definitely not the same benefits as a 1 hour at a moderate intensity, not just in terms of exercise efficiency (fewer calories burned per hour/mile) but also in terms of absolute improvement (little to no effect on cardiovascular system, etc.)
  • stanmann571
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    The question is whether the definition of intensity as 'low' or 'high' is based on an absolute metric or up to individual definition?

The normal recommendation to perform 150 minutes of moderate intensity exercise per week actually uses a definition of 'moderate' that I think most of us would consider really easy (something like HR above 50% of max). Heck, my 'easy' intensity (~75% of max) qualifies as 'vigorous' activity and that's an effort level I can easily maintain for a couple of hours.

I do think that people sometimes stretch the definition of 'low intensity' to make things a bit too easy for themselves. Sure, any activity is better than nothing but I have to think that there's a floor to effort levels below which you just won't realize much of the benefits of exercise.

So that 2 hour leisurely stroll? Definitely not the same benefits as a 1 hour at a moderate intensity, not just in terms of exercise efficiency (fewer calories burned per hour/mile) but also in terms of absolute improvement (little to no effect on cardiovascular system, etc.)

Yes, at some point, that LI stroll ceases to be purposeful exercise.

Like some of the folks I see out with their rat dogs Who do less than 1/2 mile in 30 minutes.

As contrasted with that petite woman being dragged along by two shepherds passing the joggers.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

Did you also enjoy a large plate of nachos?

LISS does have it's rewards. ...