Vacation Tips

Options
Leaving Saturday for a girls' trip out to Vegas! So excited, and while I'll definitely be indulging a little bit, I really want to stay on track. Any tips for doing this would be greatly appreciated! (and if you've vacationed here before, any restaurant recommendations would be awesome!)

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your vacation and just be a little mindul of your choices.

Don't overthink it too much, a few days in Vegas aren't going to do any lasting damage, just bear in mind you'll see gain on the scale most likely anyway because you'll retain water if you eat more carbs/sodium than normal, from drinking alcohol and if you're flying you may also bloat from the air travel too. It can take a week or so for that to flush out. So don't panic when you get back. Remember you have to eat approx 3500 calories above maintenance to gain a pound of fat.
  • Rachel6xxx
    Rachel6xxx Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What hotel are you staying at? I'm pretty sure most of them have gyms. I've been twice and both my hotels had gyms which i used to make myself feel less guilty.

Stay clear of the heart attack grill! :wink:

Enjoy yourself is the main thing!
  • mbpappas
    mbpappas Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your vacation and just be a little mindul of your choices.

Don't overthink it too much, a few days in Vegas aren't going to do any lasting damage, just bear in mind you'll see gain on the scale most likely anyway because you'll retain water if you eat more carbs/sodium than normal, from drinking alcohol and if you're flying you may also bloat from the air travel too. It can take a week or so for that to flush out. So don't panic when you get back. Remember you have to eat approx 3500 calories above maintenance to gain a pound of fat.

Yes - I'm definitely expecting the scale number to change and I'm ok with that haha. It's not like you go on vacation all the time! Thanks for the advice tho - I had no idea about possible bloating from air travel
  • mbpappas
    mbpappas Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Rachel6xxx wrote: »
    What hotel are you staying at? I'm pretty sure most of them have gyms. I've been twice and both my hotels had gyms which i used to make myself feel less guilty.

Stay clear of the heart attack grill! :wink:

Enjoy yourself is the main thing!

Treasure Island! Yes they have a gym and I'm definitely packing some workout clothes - I just gotta really try to knock out a workout in the morning (I'm an early riser - especially after drinking). But thanks for the advice!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    When I go on vacation, I just enjoy it...it's not like I'm always on vacation or something and what I'm doing most of the time is what matters...in the big picture, a vacation here and there really isn't relevant. Vacations are expensive and I'm making memories with my family and friends so I just go an enjoy myself.

In general, I'm way more active on vacation than I would ever be at home, even if I don't do any deliberate exercise while on vacation. We're always out and about seeing this or that. I've never gained actual weight (fat) while on vacation...the only weight I've ever gained was water and most of the is from air travel.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    * Exercise! Walk around the town, swim at the hotel pool and hit the gym if it's a good one.
    * Vegas is infamous for its buffets. Stick to one plate. Don't stack a mile tall. Don't go to bad ones.
    * Fiber bars! I find they help make sure my insides stay happy, keeping me full and regular.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Walk everywhere...! Enjoy it!

We deliberately sought out restaurants, as we are anti-buffet.

Mon Ami Gabi in the Paris hotel has the most delicious breakfast!

If you end up at Fremont St, downtown, Tony Geminiani's Pizza Rock has the BEST wood-fired margherita pizza I've ever had in my life...as well as the rest of his menu. Great beer list as well.

We were there at the same time of year a few years ago for the Viva Las Vegas rockabilly weekender held at the Orleans, the city was PACKED (Spring Break as well)...I swore if I ever went back it would be a different time of the year.

I also surprised my partner with a hot air balloon ride too, that was a blast!