How to track at Mexican

Options
Okay so I went to Mexican for lunch & I don’t know how to log everything I ate. Because there isn’t a exact count for it. How would you guys log it into MFP?

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Approximate. One meal of guesstimated calories won't detail you in the long run. Just enjoy, add a comparable meal to your diary, and move on.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of chain Mexican restaurants. I just use the nutrition info from a chain for a similar dish to what I had. It's just a guess, but it is usually in the ball park. If eating at this restaurant it is a rare occurrence then it won't matter much, and if you eat there frequently just be consistent with your guessing.
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Sombreros is a fast food chain in California offering Mexican food. Their menu is in MPF already so as a ball park i would consider using some of their entries.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Good advice so far, what did you have?

For lack of a comparable dish, I'll sometimes estimate the calories based on the ingredients. For example, grilled chicken fajitas would probably be something like 50 calories per 4 inch tortilla, 50 calories per ounce of chicken, and another 50 calories per fajita for veggies and cooking oil. If a lunch sized entree came with 4 tortillas, 6 ounces of chicken, and a bunch of sauteed veggies then I'd probably guesstimate about 700-800 calories for the entire plate. Add more for any sides and/or sauces/sour cream.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Just use an entry for the same entree from a different restaurant that provides nutritional information. All you can do is guestimate.
  • darrenbeckworth
    darrenbeckworth Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    All eating out is guessing. A meal that is 800 calories even in the system could be 700 or 900. I would suggest rounding up on guessing... better to over estimate then to eat too much.
  • deetails26
    deetails26 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Quick glance... I read this as "How to track a Mexican" LOL. I thought... Yikes, I wonder what he/she did to her

:D:D
  • brookesdsu
    brookesdsu Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Quick glance... I read this as "How to track a Mexican" LOL. I thought... Yikes, I wonder what he/she did to her

Hahahaha, I read it the same way. I'm a border patrol agent, I was like, finally I can contribute to a thread.

I seriously laughed out loud!
  • Dreamcrusher16
    Dreamcrusher16 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    brookesdsu wrote: »

Hahahaha, I read it the same way. I'm a border patrol agent, I was like, finally I can contribute to a thread.

I seriously laughed out loud!

Glad someone did. I woo' d lol
  • genchiyu
    genchiyu Posts: 244 Member
    Options

LOL'd :D:D
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I deal with this all the time as my favorite Mexican restaurant in my little town is locally owned (by the NICEST family) not a chain. I have a fave meal, 2 chicken enchiladas a la carte. (interesting to identify a mex meal with a french tag, but they do!)

The first time I ate this I estimated the ingredients by quantity and found them in the database, and saved the meal in MFP :) but then I am a creature of habit.