1 Cheat = 2lbs

Options
Can you please help me understand the scale?
I eat about 1200-1300 calories a day....I log everything I eat.
2 days ago, I went out to a restaurant and had a "cheat" -- I had a vinagrette dressing on the salad (not on the side) and I shared in a German/Bavarian Pretzel with dipping sauces -- I still tried to log my meal using items that seemed close to matching using MFP. My calories for the day were around 2600.
The next day, I was back on my usual routine.
2 days later -- I get on the scale and I am up 2 lbs.
I don't understand it.
Why does this happen???
I find it very discouraging.....
WHile it's not good for me -- I am very motivated/fixated on the number on the scale and how my "skinny" jeans fit.

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Beyond that, I'd make sure you understand what the number on the scale represents. Scale weight is an easy metric to use to gauge progress, but you HAVE to understand what that number measures, what it represents in order for it to be meaningful.

^^ And in this case, it's a normal fluctuation in your *water* weight and has nothing to do with your ongoing *fat* loss. Remember, a person has to eat over their maintenance calories (not over your weight loss calorie level) to the tune of about 3500 calories to gain a pound of fat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    pippin44 wrote: »
    2 days ago, I went out to a restaurant and had a "cheat" -- I had a vinagrette dressing on the salad (not on the side) and I shared in a German/Bavarian Pretzel with dipping sauces -- I still tried to log my meal using items that seemed close to matching using MFP. My calories for the day were around 2600.
    I don't understand it.
    Why does this happen???
    WHile it's not good for me -- I am very motivated/fixated on the number on the scale and how my "skinny" jeans fit.

Body weight fluctuates naturally...2 Lbs is well within the realm of normal fluctuations. To gain 2 Lbs of actual fat in a day, you would have had to take in 7000 calories over your maintenance calories...an even then, your body just doesn't work that way.

Your cheat was likely a sodium bomb which is going to cause water retention. More carbs than normal will also cause you to hold water an replenish glycogen. More food = more inherent waste in your system, etc.
  • pippin44
    pippin44 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone....
    I totally understand that I didn't gain 2 lbs of "fat" in one meal -- but am struggling to understand how 2 days later, I would still see a 2lb increase...
    It's really frustrating to me -- esp since I am complete motivated by the STUPID number on the scale.
    I appreciate your insights in putting context around it!

And the pretzel was more like the size of the bicycle wheel, not the whole bike.....

• gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Where's that thread on how sodium affects your weight...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Where's that thread on how sodium affects your weight...

There's a search for that.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone....
    I totally understand that I didn't gain 2 lbs of "fat" in one meal -- but am struggling to understand how 2 days later, I would still see a 2lb increase...
    It's really frustrating to me -- esp since I am complete motivated by the STUPID number on the scale.

And the pretzel was more like the size of the bicycle wheel, not the whole bike.....

Weight loss and gain is not linear. Our bodies take time to process what we do with it. Not everything is instantaneous. Be patient and look at the big picture.

• fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I don't understand it.
    Why does this happen???

Your going crazy over nothing, I have had fluctuations where I would gain 5-6 lbs overnight and other times where I lost 5-6 overnight....all of it is usually water weight, glycogen, sodium, poop and the food still in your system which was caused by a sudden high increase of calories you ate. Daily weighings don't matter, what matters is your average throughout the week.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone....

When I fly on an airplane across country it takes 3-5 days for the scale to go back down.
    If I eat sushi it can take 2-3 days for the scale to go back down.
    It's not real weight.

You KNOW this isn't "real" weight. You KNOW you need to not fret over it.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone....

Because you don't drop the water weight that quickly. It tends to linger for a few days afterwards. If I have a way-off-plan food day, I won't take any weigh-in seriously for 5 days.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone....

It doesn't clear instantly. I know for me, at least, it is 3-4 days of an increase after a sodium and carb bomb, and I've gotten the sense from reading the forums here and googling that that's pretty common.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Thanks everyone....

It doesn't clear instantly. I know for me, at least, it is 3-4 days of an increase after a sodium and carb bomb, and I've gotten the sense from reading the forums here and googling that that's pretty common.

It is and I eat a ton of carbs. After 5 years of doing this, I don't worry like I used to. I don't even change my diet after a big day of food binging. You understand after all that experience that it's only a minor blip in the radar.
  • jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Thanks everyone....

Weight loss is commonly thought of as one system: Calories in, calories out. Expenditure should be more than intake, and we lose weight.

If it worked exactly like that on a day to day basis, weight loss would be easy and obesity wouldn't be a thing.

Unfortunately, our body is a multitude of systems that all need the same things: nutrients, water, and energy. So, with the weight gain you saw, there is a system at work being overloaded and it will be allowed to restore it's balance over a longer time.

In this case, it was probably salt. The more salt you intake, the more water retention you have, and that is your muscular system at work (feel free to research how sodium, water, and potassium all work together). Drink more water, and you will see the scale drop again (counterintuitive, isnt it?)
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I had 3lbs of water weight from Saturday from eating salty corned beef and such (um maybe chocolate and bread too perhaps mhm) and the scale didn't show "normal" until Wednesday. At which point I ate some pad see ew so now we are back up a bit.