iowa state fair...

Options
felice03
felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
I am from Iowa and our state fair starts tomorrow....it is a virtual playground of yummy, fatty, unhealthy foods. anything on a stick is available....including, new this year, fried butter on a stick! although the initial thought is GROSS I am sure it is fabulous. The fair foods are really a summer down fall of mine, what are your seasonal downfalls?

Replies

• mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    There are no downfalls b/c if it's not good for me I refuse to eat it.
  • scha4r
    scha4r Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    mmmmm Fair food.

Fair season and Thanksgiving are my downfalls. I can't stop myself from loading plate after plate. I feel your pain.
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    yayy Iowa State Fair!! [i'm from iowa too]
  • possummama
    possummama Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I love the huge turkey legs at the Renissance Festivals
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    And no we can see why mid west states tend to have a lot of overweight/obese people. You said it yourself, it's about food for enjoyment.
  • Nswilk
    Nswilk Posts: 27
    Options
    It use to be Elephant Ears, but everything at fairs have gone up so much in price it is easy to just not get anything. Nowadays I might just bite something off I buy the kids like cotton candy.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I make it a point to indulge in one bad item when I attend the fair. This year was the home made potato chips and deep fried artichoke hearts (I went to the fair twice).

Other than that, I had grilled chicken/veggie skewers and non-fat frozen yogurt.

My biggest downfall at the fair is BEER! And lots of it! :drinker:
  • FollowThatUnicorn
    FollowThatUnicorn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I just went to the Wayne County Fair this weekend and was so proud of myself when I walked right past the fried oreos, snickers and reeses cups. I did indulge in some pierogies though :)
  • autumnridge
    autumnridge Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Don't forget, The Iowa Turkey Growers (at least they used to do this) have grilled turkey loin available. It is sooo good!
  • felice03
    Options
    yayy Iowa State Fair!! [i'm from iowa too]

so much fun but there are so many temptations! I did good last year so hopefully I can use my willpower again.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    fried butter???

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
  • felice03
    Options
    Don't forget, The Iowa Turkey Growers (at least they used to do this) have grilled turkey loin available. It is sooo good!

Yes they do...if you search you can find some good options. but you have to make it past all the bad ones first.
  • felice03
    Options
    fried butter???

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

yes, evidently butter on a stick covered in funnel cake batter and fried. In honor of the 100th year of the Butter Cow (sculptures made yearly out of butter for the fair)
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Fried butter was introduced in Toronto last year, this year they are doing the Krispy Kreme Donut Burger again - eww.

I'm going to the CNE - Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto Aug 21 and have already planned my day.

I'm frugal so my food treats are based on coupons that I got buying tickets in advance + I’m newly vegetarian (90% vegan) so it’s easier for me to turn down some items like corn dogs or corned beef.

On that day I’m having 2 large veggie pizza slices and 1.5 dozen Tiny Toms donuts.
    So in addition to a ½ cup of all bran and soy milk for breakfast and a granny smith apple for dinner I’ll be w/in my goals after Kickboxing for 1 hour and 1.5 hours of slow walking no problem!

I’m under on everything except sodium, over by 218mg
    1630 cals, 2718mg sodium, 60g fat, 214g carbs, 53g protein, 22g fiber
  • ande2994
    ande2994 Posts: 136
    Options
    @ninerbuff: Actually, the Midwest tends to be among the healthier regions of the country. According to America's Health Rankings (http://www.americashealthrankings.org/2010/AHR2010Edition-compact.pdf), Minnesota is #6, Nebraska is #11, Iowa is #14, North Dakota is #16, Wisconsin is #18 and South Dakota is #20.

Your home state of California is #26 -- bottom half. Sorry.

My theory? Midwesterners have to hustle to keep warm for four months out of the year, and then we want to get out and enjoy the good weather while we have it. If you live in warmer climates, I think it'd be more tempting to just lounge in the sun.
  • ande2994
    ande2994 Posts: 136
    Options
    Oh, and one of the most popular foods booth at the Minnesota State Fair is always the unlimited milk booth. Sure, it's calories, but it's milk. Just have to avoid the temptation to beeline from there to Sweet Martha's chocolate chip cookie stand. :P