Why isn’t it working?!?

Options
Been using the app for 2 months.
Hit my goal majority of the time.
Had a baby 8 months ago - ate poorly and didn’t work out.
I am no eating healthy and working out and wear a Fitbit and hit 10k steps 80% of the time.
Not ONE lb lost :(

Replies

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    If you haven't gained or lost in 2 months you're eating at your maintenance calories. To lose you'll need to cut back on your calorie intake and/or increase your calorie burn. I'd recommend looking at your diary for inaccuracies and easy places to start cutting back.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    How are you tracking your calories? You need to weigh all solid/semi-solid foods to get accurate calorie counts. "Eating healthy" means nothing in terms of weightloss. I ate healthy for years and still gained 40-50 lbs. You need to eat at a calorie deficit to lose.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You're eating too much. How do you count your calories?
  • seccotine
    seccotine Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    check your settings. If you estimated that you are very active AND still count the exercise calories from your fitbit, you are at maintenance. My trick: my settings are at "sedentary" which means that I can eat back some of my exercise calories.
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    There are two things I think could be happening, and it may be one of them, or both. You're likely either underestimating calories eaten, or over estimating calories burned. Everyone's bodies are different, so using the general calorie burned estimates can be misleading. Even your body breakdown can effect that. For instance, I burn more calories throughout the day now even when I'm not active than I did when I started losing weight, because I've built up muscle, and muscle burns more calories than fat. I would try making sure you measure everything you eat carefully and maybe not eat exercise calories back for a couple of weeks to see if that makes a difference.

To clarify, I wouldn't eat back exercise calories from walking the 10k steps in a day if you're using the fitbit adjustment. If you go out and go for a run or something, I would maybe eat back around 50% of your exercise calories.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    There are two things I think could be happening, and it may be one of them, or both. You're likely either underestimating calories eaten, or over estimating calories burned. Everyone's bodies are different, so using the general calorie burned estimates can be misleading. Even your body breakdown can effect that. For instance, I burn more calories throughout the day now even when I'm not active than I did when I started losing weight, because I've built up muscle, and muscle burns more calories than fat. I would try making sure you measure everything you eat carefully and maybe not eat exercise calories back for a couple of weeks to see if that makes a difference.

To clarify, I wouldn't eat back exercise calories from walking the 10k steps in a day if you're using the fitbit adjustment. If you go out and go for a run or something, I would maybe eat back around 50% of your exercise calories.

Her fitbit will calculate those calories for her and adjust appropriately without her entering in any exercise. If she sets her activity to sedentary on both MFP and her fitbit, the calorie adjustment should give her the right amount to eat for her activity that day. The only thing that might change this would be certain exercises like cycling (which fitbits don't pick up well/at all), in which case she should enter that in. If she wears her fitbit on her run and enters the run in as a separate exercise, she will end up double-dipping due to the fitbit adjustment.