Asparagus a great diuretic?

Options
BIGJIMMYU
BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
Maybe this is just me and probably it is, but I love steamed asparagus and have it with dinner about 3 times weekly. Without fail, it seems to make me urinate more and the day following an asparagus intake(about five steamed spears of it) I have peed out an extra pound I wasn't expecting. Without fail! Has anyone else noticed this?

Replies

• OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I believe it is. I forgot about that, there a times when I think this would be helpful to me :) Need to eat some more asparagus again, too!

Do you eat the green or the white kind?
  • HollyRutledge
    HollyRutledge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Aparagus makes males urinate a lot, yes, and it also makes your urine have a foul odor (not ALWAYS but most of the time) however, it doesn't usually happen to females.....google it, I learned this in College Biology and Anatomy.
  • Naughtybiscuit
    Naughtybiscuit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    This happened to me! I made asparagus soup, ate it for like a week solid and lost more weight than normal. I was so pleased! But it came back the next week when I stopped eating it :) oh well. Still yummy though.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Maybe i'm secretly a guy because my pee always smells like almost sulfur after i have asparagus.....but smelly pee or not, i freaking love the stuff, so i eat it anyways
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I always eat the green kind and have an asparagus steamer.
    And I like smelly pee Holly!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I don't know about it being a diuretic, but I have heard it will make your pee stink.

(I don't actually like asparagus - it is one of very few veggies I'm not a fan of - so I can't confirm this, but just had to throw it out there)

:happy:
  • HollyRutledge
    HollyRutledge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I always eat the green kind and have an asparagus steamer.
    And I like smelly pee Holly!

I LOVE asparagus too....has no real effect on me like that, but I eat it anyway!
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    So that's why my pee was strong smelling last week, thought maybe I was dehydrated. Asparagus is on sale this week for .99/lb at Fred Meyer so will be eating a lot of it.
  • kwarfield822
    kwarfield822 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Definitely a diuretic and definitely gives you foul smelling urine. I recently started a love affair with asparagus and went to the doctor because I thought I was having a urinary infection or something. They couldn't find anything wrong and I did not associate the asparagus with the odorous symptoms. I have to go back soon and let my doctor know that I was not crazy but I had been eating a lot of asparagus. LOL
  • mjr7880
    mjr7880 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    try eating asparagus wrapped in bacon . Bake at 400 and don't forget to turn the bacon a few times.. yumm yumm
  • alexandra1359
    alexandra1359 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Asparagus steamer.......I don't think it means what I thought you meant.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    Some people are genetically unable to smell the sulfur compounds produced in urine after eating asparagus, that is, they have asparagus anosmia.

http://journals.plos.org/plosgenetics/article?id=10.1371/journal.pgen.1000993

Way, way back, as a young adult, when I first heard about the phenomenon of "asparagus pee," I assumed, because I didn't remember ever noticing the smell, that I was a non-smeller (or a non-producer of "asparagus pee," because I am old, and this was so long ago that there hadn't been enough well-designed studies to resolve the question of whether those who didn't smell the sulfur compounds in their own pee were non-smellers or non-producers). But then I started noticing the smell after eating fresh asparagus, and I realized that when I was a child, I almost never had fresh asparagus, only canned, which came out of the can cooked way softer than anybody would ever cook fresh asparagus, so I'm guessing the asparagusic acid (which the body turns into the sulfur compounds) had mostly leached out of the mushy canned asparagus.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Aparagus makes males urinate a lot, yes, and it also makes your urine have a foul odor (not ALWAYS but most of the time) however, it doesn't usually happen to females.....google it, I learned this in College Biology and Anatomy.

A subset of humans metabolize the sulphur compounds in asparagus, and a subset of that subset can smell it.

Hi there. I am your subset of a subset. I did have asparagus last night and about 12 hours later today I was able to smell the sulphur compounds. Based on that evidence, I doubt that asparagus is an effective diuretic.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Maybe i'm secretly a guy because my pee always smells like almost sulfur after i have asparagus.....but smelly pee or not, i freaking love the stuff, so i eat it anyways

Me too, bro! ;)
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options

Same here! It makes my pee smell for about 2 days!
  • CATHY19502017
    CATHY19502017 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat asparagus often, & it never affect my urine, I love asparagus, & now I've found a real easy way to steam them.... I snap the bottoms off, then rinse them, then pat dry them, then lay them across paper towel, long enough to roll up the asparagus, then place the asparagus that are rolled up & placel in microwave, put on for 3 minutes (3.00) & they're done, be careful when taking out of microwave, its very hot, them open up the paper towel, pour little olive oil, garlic power, pepper & some grated Parmesan cheese, They are Delicious.. Enjoy !!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options

A subset of humans metabolize the sulphur compounds in asparagus, and a subset of that subset can smell it.

Hi there. I am your subset of a subset. I did have asparagus last night and about 12 hours later today I was able to smell the sulphur compounds. Based on that evidence, I doubt that asparagus is an effective diuretic.

I am in the subset that can smell it also. The next time I am in the bathroom....there is the smell, no waiting 12 hours.

My favorite way to eat it is roasted with some Olive Oil. Its my absolute favorite veggie.
  • YogaPantsUser
    YogaPantsUser Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The things I learn every day. I also can smell it after peeing.
  • OceanAddict
    OceanAddict Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Huh! I had asparagus with dinner last night and this morning the scale showed a little over a pound drop from yesterday. I was wondering what was going on with that - maybe this is part of it.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,975 Member
    Options
    I love asparagus, and yes, I get stinky pee. Not horrible, but I notice it.

The other day I made fresh, roasted beets. I freaked out a couple hours later when my pee came out blood colored. I knew that beets can turn your #2 a glory of colors, but I hadn't seen it in #1 before, BUT, I had never eaten that many fresh beets that hadn't been boiled, either.

It was just the beets, everything returned to normal 24 hours later :lol: