Do you ever "not worry about it?"

Options
Most of the time in my day-to-day life, I keep a relatively close eye on what I'm eating and burning through exercise. Things seem to be pretty accurate, and I've steadily progressed in the way I've been wanting to over the winter.

Spring is here, however, and race season has kicked off. Historically during races I didn't care what I consumed - at all. Since I'm a bit more fitness focused, I'm trying to make sure I'm giving my body the fuel it needs, but this past weekend the last thing I did was track what I was eating.

Part of the issue is that I also have no way of tracking my burn (which can be pretty high I think).

I did make more of an effort to not consume too much in the way of liquid calories (ie beer or other calorie laden drinks) and limited those pretty carefully. Food, however, I just went with the "listening to my body" and ate until I was full (not stuffed) and food choices were a combination of what was available and what I felt like I needed.

Do you ever have times or activities where tracking just becomes nearly impossible and you just don't worry about it? Or have you found ways to calculate everything you need even during "unusual" events?

Replies

• avadahm
    avadahm Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I can’t calculate on weekends (the bulk of my work week). I know it’s off. But why stress all the time? I make up for it by being at least healthy in my choices.
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Hopefully this is what you're looking for...

Right now I am tracking and logging everything. But, I do know I won't track a single thing on days of races over a half. I won't track nor care one bit about calories for the day and day after I run my first 50K.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Guessing from your profile pic you are talking about riding motorcycles. As a fellow rider I try to eat light on long ride days. I don't race on the track but I ride my 636 for 4-6 hour rides quite often during the summer months and I just feel better in my riding position when I don't feel stuffed.
    q9534gpnbodw.jpg
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    @runnermom419 yes, that's basically what I'm trying to see.

My race weekends are crazy, between the races and practices themselves, hauling, loading and unloading, etc it's nothing like my "normal" day-to-day.

Curious if others who have "less than normal" activities keep tight control even then, or if they don't worry about it when they know activity is far outside of the normal range.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Most of the time in my day-to-day life, I keep a relatively close eye on what I'm eating and burning through exercise. Things seem to be pretty accurate, and I've steadily progressed in the way I've been wanting to over the winter.

Spring is here, however, and race season has kicked off. Historically during races I didn't care what I consumed - at all. Since I'm a bit more fitness focused, I'm trying to make sure I'm giving my body the fuel it needs, but this past weekend the last thing I did was track what I was eating.

Part of the issue is that I also have no way of tracking my burn (which can be pretty high I think).

I did make more of an effort to not consume too much in the way of liquid calories (ie beer or other calorie laden drinks) and limited those pretty carefully. Food, however, I just went with the "listening to my body" and ate until I was full (not stuffed) and food choices were a combination of what was available and what I felt like I needed.

Do you ever have times or activities where tracking just becomes nearly impossible and you just don't worry about it? Or have you found ways to calculate everything you need even during "unusual" events?

I don't track, but yeah...I have days when I just do whatever...those days are in the minority however, so they are pretty meaningless in the bigger picture.

I'm not planning on anything major this year, but for the past few years I've spent the late spring, summer, and fall doing 1/2 century and metric century races as well as some time trials...those days and long training ride days I pretty much just did whatever because I needed to eat or otherwise I'd just be on my *kitten* and wasn't meticulous about anything...granted, I've never been in season trying to drop weight...I'm always in maintenance when I'm in season and sometimes just drop a tiny bit of weight on accident.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's why I gained 15 lbs back.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options

Yep.

I can track how many calories I burned (approximately, of course) but I don't bother tracking how many calories I consume during long distance bicycle rides, other than the fact that I do need to keep eating.

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I do, but I am fairly new to the game. It's hard to tell burns for me, but CI, I can control.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    If I "don't worry about it" over a period of several weeks or months, I gain weight back.

But every now and then is okay. For instance, last Saturday I went way over on calories, due to a certain full bucket of movie theater popcorn, with butter! Once we got home I still wanted "real food", so I proceeded to not worry about it, and ate like a regular dinner. I about doubled my usual calorie allowance that day, but I know I can make it up over a few days eating at a deficit.

So for me, every now and then is ok. So far, over the long term, I'll gain weight back if not tracking.
  • holytricoli
    holytricoli Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think vacations are a good example. I am going to Hawaii next month and while I won't be throwing everything I've worked for over the past few months away, I am not going to be worrying about weighing food or logging every single calorie. But like a few of the above posters have mentioned, counting calories is what works for me. Any extended period of time not counting calories is sure to result in weight gain, at least for me.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    On most Jewish holidays (including Sabbath), there are certain things that are not done, which include writing/typing and precise measurements (including weighing). When I'm going to be home for them, I pre-log. BUT I'm going to my parents' in Montreal for all of Passover. And actually a few days before, to help my mother prepare.

While holiday dinners are already something I need to be wary of, I'm also dealing with the fact that on Passover, the exception of matzah, most grains and grain products (just about everything but quinoa) and legumes are verboten. I'm ovo-lacto vegetarian. Which means that my protein for eight days will be coming from eggs, dairy, nuts, quinoa, and the gram here, gram there in certain vegetables. Add in that I won't have access to my home gym for strength training (it may not burn many calories, but I find when I exercise, it cuts back on stress and boredom eating and I don't feel as hungry) and that for the days before the holiday, we'll probably be going out to eat a lot and...

I'm going to do what I can to be mindful, but there will be a lot of repeating "Two weeks off-track won't put back everything I've lost over the last 16 months".
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    On vacations out West my husband and I like to visit different National Parks every day for a week and go hiking for 4-6 hours most days (just day hikes, we don't camp) and they tend to be moderate/difficult. When that happens, I eat a lot more than usual, easily a high calorie and/or burrito breakfast, drink whole milk, think nothing of having chicken fried steak for dinner...

That is the only time though. The rest of the time I am pretty careful with tracking everything.
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    My "less than normal" activity is that I'm a volunteer cancan dancer at a living history museum. Once a month (usually) we do 3 shows of 3 dances each and some singing and a lot of standing around talking to guests. I can't wear my Fitbit (I lost my Zip that I was able to wear under my dress) so I don't really have a good way of tracking my calories burned on show days. I don't go completely into "I don't care about my calories in" mode but I do know that if I go over my goal calories for that day it isn't really a true representation of the day. But then, it's once a month so in the long run one day of "off" tracking won't really matter anyway.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    Guessing from your profile pic you are talking about riding motorcycles. As a fellow rider I try to eat light on long ride days. I don't race on the track but I ride my 636 for 4-6 hour rides quite often during the summer months and I just feel better in my riding position when I don't feel stuffed.

Kawi fan myself :)

Street rides I don't stray from my overall eating plan, and even at the races I was generally eating a lighter lunch as it was just more comfortable - but come dinner I was starving, so ate what I felt like. Breakfast was a little carb heavy to get me through the day.

Track days land somewhere in the middle - I will generally track as best I can, but it's not the same intensity as a race weekend.

I actually want to try wearing my HRM at the track during a faster session just to get an idea of where I'm operating at, problem is I have to keep my phone on me too, and I don't really want to do that...

One of two - my street/B bike is basically the same thing just black with fewer mods and kept in street trim

2um6dbic5x19.jpg
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    HRM would be interesting out of curiosity to know what your heart is doing but will be useless for calorie estimates. The adrenaline, excitement and stress will boost your HR massively.

I used to be able to hear my HR in my ears while just waiting on the grid for the green light. Sharing track space with a load of other nutcases gets the fight or flight reactions pumping.

Even just stress can boost it massively. I had a gym assessment after my normal bike commute across London and it was up 20bpm over my usual level.