Vegetables/Fruits

Options
Hi everyone, so I’m currently hitting my macros, calories intake protein etc.. but I’m not eating many vegetables or fruit for that matter, is that going to effect me at all? I’m currently cutting trying to lower my body fat %, do I need to eat a lot of vegetables and fruit?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    For weight loss, no. For nutrition, it’s a good idea.

this
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Low cal veggies you can easily eat raw or cooked: romaine, swiss chard, broccoli, arugula, mushrooms, yellow squash, asparagus,
    Low calorie fruits: fresh or frozen berries: blue berries, strawberries,
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Yep, this.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options

This - also, depending on what you're eating, you might end up making yourself feel hungry. Broccoli, apples, leafy greens etc all have fiber to help you feel full. Your body needs micro nutrients as much as it needs macro nutrients.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    Enter your food in CRON-O-Meter to check your micronutrients. You might be doing better (or worse) than you expected. Then you can seek out certain foods to fill the gaps.
  • KimmySmellsbee
    KimmySmellsbee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    yikes don't forget all the essential nutrients from fruit and veg! no point losing weight if you're not healthy. :)
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What are you eating that is void of fruits and vegetables? It is so easy to incorporate these into almost anything.
  • PeteTheGamer2910
    PeteTheGamer2910 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    For me, fruit and veg is not just about nutrients but keeps me fuller longer - seeing a full plate - probably a psychological thing
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options

Yup.

Mmmmm, micronutrients!

• NewTnme
    NewTnme Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    You want to properly nourish your body so I think an easy way to get all your servings of fruit and veggies in at one time is to make a smoothie. Boom 1 shot! Green machine
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    There are greens supplements and multivitamins as insurance.
  • _TheLittleMermaid_
    _TheLittleMermaid_ Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You need to supplement with extra vitamins and others tablets until you establish those as part of your diet again
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It won't affect your body composition if you're tracking your calories and hitting your macros. But the lack of micronutrients, fiber, antioxidants, etc will be harmful in the long run unless you have very good genes. For example, many people who don't eat vegetables end up developing high cholesterol as they age. A lack of vegetabes is associated with higher risk of many other age related conditions too, like macular degeneration. Also, vegetables are good for you complexion and GI tract.

So just get used to eating vegetables! It's a lot easier now that most grocery stores sell bags of pre-washed veggies and pre-made salads. Just stock up on the weekend and have a salad every day. Buy some apples or something to snack on.
  • fayalexpapa
    fayalexpapa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have lost 35 kg since last April and I'm down to 20% fat from 42% by replacing starches with fruits and vegetables. Now in maintenance I have re-introduced starches but I do it slowly; I haven't finished yet...
    I keep eating the same amount of fruits and vegetables as during the loss phase. I eat 3 fruits per day (breakfast, snack1, snack2) and lots of vegetables in various forms (salads, soups, row cooked, whatever) during lunch and dinner. I do not measure the vegetables, I did it only a couple of times for curiosity; I eat as much as I want to eat. I'm careful with the 'fat' though. I do measure the olive oil I put in the dishes. I didn't have any hunger problem or sugar cravings so far. I didn't suffer from constipation either.