Ultra training & soreness

Options
With 9 weeks to go to an extremely hilly ultra marathon and we tried the first 15 of the route yesterday.
The downhill killed my quads and a twinge/soreness in my it band.
condition of my legs would have stopped me on race day.

How on earth do I train to prevent this going forward ?

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Cautious practice. Downhills are really stressful on the legs.
  • 1985mattie
    1985mattie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Slow down/ walk the downhills, reduce the impact that way. Compression shorts?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    More training, especially the downhills, to get your quads used to it, epsom salt baths, drinking tart cherry juice, foam rolling. I have a 50k on Saturday and a big ultra in 3 weeks, I know the feeling.

This. You have to prepare your body for it. That's pretty much the definition of training.

I'm behind on my training for a 30k in less than 8 weeks. It happens, adjust expectations and prepare yourself to still have a good experience on race day.
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys
    Not doing the race = ain’t going to happen
    Compression shorts = ordered a pair
    Train more hills = great
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    andysport1 wrote: »
    Thanks guys
    Not doing the race = ain’t going to happen
    Compression shorts = ordered a pair
    Train more hills = great

How long of a race? Forgot to ask that. Also, when doing hills, really push on the downhills, that will help your quads build up for it.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I would suggest changing your pace and for me personally when I am training for something I do 50-75 % of the distance for the first 4-6 weeks. Then the next 4 weeks I will train for the exact distance. The last 4 weeks I like to train for pace or increase the distance further then the race. Track everything and find a pace that is comfortable. Good luck!!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    For downhills, practice short rapid steps. Light and quick. The more you let your foot get ahead of your body, the more impact when you land. In hilly races, it is the downhills that cause the most pain if you aren't used to running hills. It's also what will make you hurt most the next day.

My first marathon was hilly. I practiced pushing the pace up the hills, but didn't really practice running fast downhill. I did great for the first 18 miles, then my quads seized up. I finished, but with a major slow down. I couldn't do stairs for a week afterwards.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I would suggest changing your pace and for me personally when I am training for something I do 50-75 % of the distance for the first 4-6 weeks. Then the next 4 weeks I will train for the exact distance. The last 4 weeks I like to train for pace or increase the distance further then the race. Track everything and find a pace that is comfortable. Good luck!!

That's not really feasible for ultramarathons.