Do you actually wash your HRM chest strap?

Options
2»

Replies

• lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    im afraid to wash mine in the washing machine lol

i wash mine by hand
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    i wash mine by hand after each use
  • Dbow0207
    Dbow0207 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Didnt know you were suppose to wash it, thought it would mess it up, I will from now on.
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm embarrassed to say that I had no idea you were supposed to wash it. I leave mine out to air dry after every use, but I've had it for 8 months and it has never been washed. I guess I should probably do that then.:)
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify...you should generally only wash the detachable strap...not the actual HRM part!!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Mine (Polar Wearlink) says not to machine wash.

Really? I have a Polar Wearlink, too and my owners manual says specifically to machine wash after every five uses.

Polar's website (http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/support/faqs?product=&category=General&documenttitle=WearLink+Transmitter+maintenance&document=/gip/PEUS1kb-public.nsf/web_cat/85256F470048B0BC852573CC006CB613) says this about the WearLink:
    WearLink Transmitter maintenance

Detach the transmitter connector from the strap and rinse both under running water after every use. Dry the connector with a soft towel. Never use alcohol or any abrasive material (steel, wool or cleaning chemicals).

Wash the strap regularly in a washing machine at 40ºC/104ºF or at least after every fifth use. This ensures reliable measurement and maximizes the life span of the transmitter. Use a washing pouch. Do not soak, spin-dry, iron, dry clean or bleach the strap. Do not use detergent with bleach or fabric softener. Never put the transmitter connector in the washing machine or dryer!
  • InfamousQ
    InfamousQ Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I wash mine in the Machine at least once a week but I sweat so badly I think I will start hand washing it every other day...
  • TheDeviation
    Options
    I wash the elastic band by hand after every use. I clorox wipe the HRM part itself as well.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm embarrassed to say that I had no idea you were supposed to wash it. I leave mine out to air dry after every use, but I've had it for 8 months and it has never been washed. I guess I should probably do that then.:)

You supposed to wash it? I guess I need to read the instructions now...
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Mine (Polar Wearlink) says not to machine wash.

Really? I have a Polar Wearlink, too and my owners manual says specifically to machine wash after every five uses.

Polar's website (http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/support/faqs?product=&category=General&documenttitle=WearLink+Transmitter+maintenance&document=/gip/PEUS1kb-public.nsf/web_cat/85256F470048B0BC852573CC006CB613) says this about the WearLink:
    WearLink Transmitter maintenance

Detach the transmitter connector from the strap and rinse both under running water after every use. Dry the connector with a soft towel. Never use alcohol or any abrasive material (steel, wool or cleaning chemicals).

Wash the strap regularly in a washing machine at 40ºC/104ºF or at least after every fifth use. This ensures reliable measurement and maximizes the life span of the transmitter. Use a washing pouch. Do not soak, spin-dry, iron, dry clean or bleach the strap. Do not use detergent with bleach or fabric softener. Never put the transmitter connector in the washing machine or dryer!

Interesting. To be honest, I never did read the manual ... But it had a tag on it with a little "Don't put me in the washing machine" icon on it so I just assumed one should never do that. :tongue:
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Ha Ha!! Like many others, I have never washed it! Been using it everyday for some time tho, and it is just fine! I do get it wet with warm water before each use, tho..guess I will use a little soap next time! lol!
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for 6 years, and I have never washed it. haha
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    It says to use a washing pouch. I don't have such a thing! Can you just throw it in the washing machine without one? Do you think it will ruin the strap. I don't sweat too bad so maybe I can just wash it by hand with some liquid dish soap or something.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    It says to use a washing pouch. I don't have such a thing! Can you just throw it in the washing machine without one? Do you think it will ruin the strap. I don't sweat too bad so maybe I can just wash it by hand with some liquid dish soap or something.

Nylon knee high = awesome washing bag (or if you get a run in the thigh portion of nylons, just cut off and use as washing bag)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

I never use a washing pouch for mine and it's been alright. I personally throw it in with my workout clothes that need just detergent anyway.. and its always come out fine each time.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Wow, the search function to the forums really does work! My chest strap was smellin' ripe..I could even smell it as soon as I put it on..yuck, I know. Thanks to you good people, the nasty thing is in the washer right now. :drinker:
  • delasole4
    delasole4 Posts: 5
    Options
    Gravedigging a bit here. This helped me alot, because all the "what not to dos" had me worried to put it in my washing machine.