Morning Exercise - felt sick

Options
I have started exercising - finally - in the evening. It's been about 2 weeks now and I decided to get up a little earlier this morning to exercise - I'm NOT a morning person. I did a 30 minutes of cardio - I was drinking water on an empty stomach and started feeling a little sick to my stomach. Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do? Do you eat something first? Will it go away???? Or can I add this to my excuses for not exercising in the am?
Thanks,
Mary

Replies

• gympamela
    gympamela Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    When I work out hard in the morning on an empty stomach I always get queasy. My suggestion is to have a RTD before you go to the gym to give your stomach something to keep it busy.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    banana will help, or something similar.

Why make excuses? Fix the problem and go from there.

Best of luck.
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I can't drink water on an empty stomach or I get sick. I usually have a small-ish breakfast before I work out (greek yogurt with cereal, or a banana with peanut butter- just something).
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat something first. I don't eat a whole lot but if I think my stomach is too empty then I eat a small piece of fruit or something.
  • rosalee87
    rosalee87 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm like that, drinking a little bit of orange juice before my workout helps me.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I remember when I ran on an empty stomach and got sick. I started eating some oatmeal and waited about 30-45mins to start running and felt much better. I would suggest on eating a little something before hand.
  • kiwipez
    kiwipez Posts: 144
    Options

Why make excuses? Fix the problem and go from there.

I have lived my life on excuses so I am always on the lookout for a good one! ;)
  • kiwipez
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses - I will try a small snack first.
  • tialeanne
    tialeanne Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I get sick if I work out hard on an empty stomach. And a bad headache. I try to have a small snack ahead of time.
  • runpiggyrun
    Options
    I always have a banana, then do my 30 lengths of the pool and then a 2 mile run, go home and have breakfast:)

and plenty of water:)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Bananas and/or peanut butter are great for pre-workout snacks. Both are easy to digest and will help keep you going. Make sure you're sipping your water too - guzzling is too much for the stomach to handle when it's empty (or nearly empty), plus sipping allows your body to process fluids slowly and properly.
  • colorfulcupcakes
    colorfulcupcakes Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've had this issue and found that even green tea helps. I can still do my morning exercise in a fasted state but without feeling sick.
  • kiwipez
    Options
    bananas and peanut butter sound yummy...

Thanks again for your suggestions!