home cut bread

Options
what would you put home cut bread under? it's quite thickly cut and toasted with butter also. Do i put butter separate? Do i class 1 piece as 2 slices?

Replies

• 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    one ounce bread, about 28 g. 50 calories...any kind. Butter is separate...About 50 a tsp...
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Yes butter should be separate.

If you baked it yourself do a recipe with all the ingredients and set the servings to however many slices you end up with.

If you bought it find a reasonable entry and do the same but be conscious that it will not be correct.

And if you don't have one buy a food scale add it will make things easier.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    For maximum accuracy, here's what I'd do.

1. While making your bread, measure all your ingredients in grams on your kitchen scale and record the gram weights on a piece of paper.
    2. Use the MFP Recipe Builder to bulk add all your ingredients in their gram weights.
    3. Double-check that MFP chose accurate entries for each ingredient.
    4. After your bread is done baking, weigh the whole loaf and set the gram weight as your "Servings" in the Recipe.
    5. Whenever you slice a piece of bread, weigh it, and set that gram value to your serving.

So for example... if your final loaf weighs 800 grams, set that as your Servings in the Recipe Builder. If you slice a piece off and it's 150g, record that in your diary as "150 servings".

Hope that makes sense. And yes, you'd log the butter separately. Once again - grams if you want max accuracy.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    If you made the bread yourself, use the recipe builder as @toxikon said. Even if you already made the bread and didn't weigh everything in the process, you can still enter the recipe you used and then start at step 4.

If you have a loaf of bread that someone else made and you don't have the recipe or nutrition info, then I would still weigh each slice and log its weight using the closest description in the MFP database (i.e., 100 grams of sourdough bread, or whatever it is). That's not going to be as accurate, but it's better than just guessing. I would also not assume that an ounce of bread = 50 calories. This is a low estimate for many breads.

Weigh and log the butter separately. If you don't have the means to weigh or measure the butter, like being out at a restaurant, then I'd estimate high on how much butter you used. In my experience, it takes a half tablespoon of softened butter for me to cover one standard slice of sandwich bread, but your butter use may vary.

Edit: One slice of the prepackaged sandwich bread I currently have in my kitchen weighs approximately one ounce. If you don't have access to a scale, then you could use that as a way to estimate. How many slices of prepackaged bread does your homemade bread seem equivalent to? Again, it's not as accurate as weighing, but it's one way to estimate.