Anyone else going through a divorce??

Options

Replies

• becky611
    becky611 Posts: 77
    Options
    Hang in there, girl! I too am a single mom of two, ages 8 and 6. I've been separated 3 years, divorced for one and half. You have some intense feelings to work through, but trust me, it gets better over time. I wish I had known more divorced people who could tell me that. The anger and sadness are so normal. I highly recommend reading Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. She wrote a memoir about healing from her divorce (and breakup from a boyfriend after that) that I really found meaningful. After a few years of feeling angry at him and sorry for myself and cheated and all that, I am finally coming through this happier than I've been in MANY years, including most of my married ones. I am focused on growing as a person and helping guide my kids through their childhood.

I really appreciate all the advice. My biggest fear is that my son will be negatively affected by this and my ability to financially support him and myself. I really have found it quite interesting all the things that I have learned about myself. I know that time heals everything, but I am just not a patient person at all lol.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Everyone here has great advice - You WILL make it through okay, and you WILL be able to select a partner in the future that gives you everything you deserve in a relationship. Until that point, just take it one day at a time and try to focus on the great things you're about to do for yourself and your son, and not on the horrible things your ex did to you. It's not easy, and it is important to grieve the relationship for a while, but this WILL be an exciting time for you! You get a do-over! And you've learned a lot along the way.

I've been divorced from my first husband four years now, and I'm engaged to a man that I never believed could exist.
  • becky611
    Options
    Everyone here has great advice - You WILL make it through okay, and you WILL be able to select a partner in the future that gives you everything you deserve in a relationship. Until that point, just take it one day at a time and try to focus on the great things you're about to do for yourself and your son, and not on the horrible things your ex did to you. It's not easy, and it is important to grieve the relationship for a while, but this WILL be an exciting time for you! You get a do-over! And you've learned a lot along the way.

I've been divorced from my first husband four years now, and I'm engaged to a man that I never believed could exist.

Thank you so much for the support. I know that I am not the only person this has ever happened to and I am so grateful that there are so many people around to be supportive!!
  • quinnybear
    quinnybear Posts: 243
    Options
    I split from my ex almost exactly a year ago and the divorce has been final for 3 months. It was really bad in the beginning but then one day I realized how much he had been lying the past 8 years and something in my brain just clicked. I wasn't 100% over it and fully emotionally healed BUT I did feel happy about it and felt good about moving forward.
  • becky611
    Options
    I split from my ex almost exactly a year ago and the divorce has been final for 3 months. It was really bad in the beginning but then one day I realized how much he had been lying the past 8 years and something in my brain just clicked. I wasn't 100% over it and fully emotionally healed BUT I did feel happy about it and felt good about moving forward.

After finding out that he has been lying to me everyday for years, I think that I am more ANGRY than hurt. Im not sure if this is a good thing or not. I am looking forward to moving on and not feeling like an idiot and fool anymore.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I knew mine was a douche and i still married him. Divorced for a month now. Sometimes I feel like I will drown in the sadness.
  • aegira
    aegira Posts: 204
    Options
    There is life after divorce. Take care of yourself, and don't feel the need to start another relationship right away. Be very picky about the next man so that you can ensure that you get the partner you deserve, and your son gets a good role model.

You are so right. I have absolutely no desire to get into any relationship. My son is my biggest priority. I plan on taking this time to learn more about me and about who I am and the things that are important to me. I have realized alot about myself already.

It really is worth taking time out from the relationship treadmill. When it happened to me, my total focus was for the kids and I promised myself I would not even think about 'getting' involved until my youngest turned 18. I can honestly say I've had the best time learning about me and nurturing 2 kids into well adjusted adults. Now out of the blue I have a guy and we are both taking it slowly learning about each other. The journey is hard/tough/tear jerking and at times unbearable BUT the light at the end of the tunnel is bright/warm/exciting and awesome!!
    Good luck, you're a strong women who will not only survive but thrive :flowerforyou:
  • BuffTexan
    BuffTexan Posts: 270
    Options
    My marriage ended in mid-August 2009. I was served the papers, I was literally devasted. At the time the kids were 3 and 5 yrs old. I never thought it would happen to me and lo and behold, here I am. I'm paying a ton of child support, living in a 1 bedroom apt, drive an old truck, and getting by day-by-day. I am VERY happy I'm no longer married to my ex, there is a new freedom. At first I thought I would do ANYTHING to get her back but now I wouldn't go back to her even if she paid me.

Life has been getting better for me. Year 1 was a little difficult to adjust. Year 2 is more "normal."

The ONE thing that completely blew my mind was the 1st time I took the kids to their mommy's house to drop them off. It was the 1st week after I was ordered to leave. I ring the doorbell, she answers and the kids go in... they turn around and both of them say, "c'mon daddy, come in!" :sad: :sad:
  • becky611
    Options
    What is the most appropriate way to tell a child what is going on? He is so smart.
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    What is the most appropriate way to tell a child what is going on? He is so smart.

Honestly I dont know. With Nicole I just told her daddy was at work or he was out when he didn't come home.
  • becky611
    Options
    Honestly I dont know. With Nicole I just told her daddy was at work or he was out when he didn't come home.
    [/quote]

I told Aiden that daddy and mommy aren't going to be living together anymore. I told him that I love him very much and that I am not going anywhere. I told him he will live in a new house with me and he can still see his daddy.
    I wasn't sure if that was appropriate to say to him or not.
  • Triquetra
    Triquetra Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I bought a really good book on divorce from Chapters called "The Dinosaurs Divorce" and we read it as a bed time story for quite a few nights, my youngest was 5 and this really helped her to understand, and it was written in a fun way that she could understand.
  • becky611
    Options
    I bought a really good book on divorce from Chapters called "The Dinosaurs Divorce" and we read it as a bed time story for quite a few nights, my youngest was 5 and this really helped her to understand, and it was written in a fun way that she could understand.

I know that this is having an affect on his life and I know it will I just want to make sure that it is not a negative affect on him. I want to try to do everything right for him.
  • mandapanda001
    mandapanda001 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    My divorce was final on May 4 so if you need a friend, feel free to add me and yes it does suck but if it is for the best it does get better..I promise :-) :flowerforyou:
  • becky611
    Options
    My divorce was final on May 4 so if you need a friend, feel free to add me and yes it does suck but if it is for the best it does get better..I promise :-) :flowerforyou:

You're right, it is for the best. I think I am lucky that I found out now versus 10 or 15 years later.
  • runner328
    runner328 Posts: 174
    Options
    My husband told me he wanted to separate the day before my 39th b-day. I have been w/ him 15 yrs. Helped raise out daughter (my stepdaughter) who is 17. & I worked to put him through school now he has his masters degree & making 6 figures & doesn't want to be w/ me anymore. Doesn't find me attractive. I was angry & I hated him but now I know I am too good for him & he did me a favor! I NEVER thought my marriage would end up this way. Keep your head up it will get better.
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

I told Aiden that daddy and mommy aren't going to be living together anymore. I told him that I love him very much and that I am not going anywhere. I told him he will live in a new house with me and he can still see his daddy.
    I wasn't sure if that was appropriate to say to him or not.
    [/quote]

He's probably going to be confused for awhile and act out. Just re-assure him that you will always be there for him
  • GoodMorningGirl
    GoodMorningGirl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    As far as your son goes, you probably want to be as upbeat as you can because kids take their cues on how to feel about things by watching their parents. Save your tears and anger for your parents, friends, or whoever else can be supportive listeners when your son is not around.

I told my kids that Daddy was going to live in another house and we weren't married anymore, but that we are always going to be a family. They will always have their Mommy and their Daddy, just in different houses. We both have tried very hard never to argue in front of the kids or get into emotional discussions. It was really hard in the first year or so, but now it's gotten to the point where we are both healed enough to be civil and even joke around and chat sometimes. We try to only talk about the kids. It's not that I like to see my ex; it's just no longer emotionally turbulent and painful. I have to see him twice a week due to the custody, and I'm sure you'll have to get used to that too.

Also, I would try to find an attorney right away who has a good reputation and is a peacemaker. Mine advised me to be firm on things that were important to me, but otherwise to be as conciliatory as possible. I was very happy with how my divorce turned out legally, and being giving where you can gives you credit when it comes to your most valuable resource, time with your son.
  • becky611
    Options
    As far as your son goes, you probably want to be as upbeat as you can because kids take their cues on how to feel about things by watching their parents. Save your tears and anger for your parents, friends, or whoever else can be supportive listeners when your son is not around.

I told my kids that Daddy was going to live in another house and we weren't married anymore, but that we are always going to be a family. They will always have their Mommy and their Daddy, just in different houses. We both have tried very hard never to argue in front of the kids or get into emotional discussions. It was really hard in the first year or so, but now it's gotten to the point where we are both healed enough to be civil and even joke around and chat sometimes. We try to only talk about the kids. It's not that I like to see my ex; it's just no longer emotionally turbulent and painful. I have to see him twice a week due to the custody, and I'm sure you'll have to get used to that too.

Also, I would try to find an attorney right away who has a good reputation and is a peacemaker. Mine advised me to be firm on things that were important to me, but otherwise to be as conciliatory as possible. I was very happy with how my divorce turned out legally, and being giving where you can gives you credit when it comes to your most valuable resource, time with your son.

The soon to be ex and I are meeting tomorrow to discuss the money issues and our son. I am hoping that we can come to an agreement tomorrow and then I will be calling the lawyer on Friday to get this going. I am not going to let him drag me around any longer than he already has.
  • dianaskin
    Options
    [/quote]

YOU SAID: After finding out that he has been lying to me everyday for years, I think that I am more ANGRY than hurt. Im not sure if this is a good thing or not. I am looking forward to moving on and not feeling like an idiot and fool anymore.
    [/quote]

MY THOUGHTS: A friend of mine went through something similar last year and she said exactly what you said "I felt like an idiot and a fool for believing his lies". And I asked her why she would feel that way. Aren't you SUPPOSED to trust your husband? Aren't you SUPPOSED to believe them? You did what you were supposed to do as a loving wife. The fact that he lied isn't YOUR fault and you shouldn't feel like an idiot or fool. This was not YOUR doing - it was his. I know some people say "there were signs" but honestly, if you don't know to look for signs you're not going to see them. Yes, you have every rigth to be angry because he betrayed a trust you gave him when you married him and a trust you continued to demonstrate during your marriage. But don't feel like an idiot or a fool - it wasn't your fault and there really was nothing you could do until it was time for you to do it! What is the alternative NOT trusting your husband for your entire marriage so that IF things don't work out you'll not have been a fool? That doesn't make sense. So be angry...but you were NOT an idiot or fool for trusting your own husband.

Hope this helps...