Acai Berry Free Trial...

Options
Ok, so like thousands of other people I fell for the "Free Trial". This was a few months ago, but I figured I would bring it up because there is an add at the top of our website that flashes the product.

The product was on Oprah (maybe that should have been my first hint)...so I thought I would look into it, and before I knew it I had been scammed and had to close my account. Basically they took my credit card info and then when I tried to contact them in order to cancel my order, they were seriously impossible to reach. The phone number, e-mail addy., etc. all said do not exist when I would try them.

So, just a warning, just because the headline is at the top of the page (or on Oprah) doesn't mean it is safe. Look it up before you hand over your card info.

:)

Replies

• jennib06
    jennib06 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Ok, so like thousands of other people I fell for the "Free Trial". This was a few months ago, but I figured I would bring it up because there is an add at the top of our website that flashes the product.

The product was on Oprah (maybe that should have been my first hint)...so I thought I would look into it, and before I knew it I had been scammed and had to close my account. Basically they took my credit card info and then when I tried to contact them in order to cancel my order, they were seriously impossible to reach. The phone number, e-mail addy., etc. all said do not exist when I would try them.

So, just a warning, just because the headline is at the top of the page (or on Oprah) doesn't mean it is safe. Look it up before you hand over your card info.

:)
  • vdpal
    vdpal Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the heads up. I am sorry that it turned out to be such an ordeal. Thanks again for letting us know.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    If it's advertised here on this site - perhaps you ought to notify Mike too.... he can chose to delete that ad if it's a scam!
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    LIke you I tried it and once they got a hold of my card info it was a nightmare. They gave my number to other people and I kept getting calls from soliciters. I had never gotten one before. I called and yelled and cused them to get them to stop charging my card and calling me. Be warned before you try these free trials.:mad:
  • jennib06
    Options
    Sounds like a great idea...how do I contact MIke?
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/mike

Found a quicker way
  • jennib06
    Options
    Done! Thanks everyone.
  • anony999
    anony999 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My mom had a similar issue. She signed up for the "free" trial which required her to pay postage and handling with a credit card. They then signed her up (thanks to very tiny print on the site) for 3 recurring monthly charges for other products at $70+ a pop. Ugh. She told her CC company to deny all such charges, and they seemed to be familiar with the company.
  • victoria0684
    Options
    wow..good thing u posted this up today...i was actually planning on ordering those...thank u so much...and i hope u got everything settled...
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "FREE".... especially when there is a company involved.... there is always a catch. If it sounds too good to be true... it is! :flowerforyou:

Even when you get the yummies at Costco/Sam's Club... they kinda are expecting you to BUY the product. (Unless your my dad....and he does that for "lunch").
  • Janie0001
    Janie0001 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this I too was thinking of ordering this product. Thanks for the heads up. Did you get the product and did it work?
  • jennib06
    Options
    I never got the product, I just hundreds of dollars missing from my account. It took a while, but I got it all worked out at the bank. But others haven't been as lucky!

It really wasn't worth it at all!!!
  • Cyndi1
    Cyndi1 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Hey, It's a scam. I did get the product but they wanted my credit card information much more than me enjoying their product. I did reach them but I waited- over 1 hour at times. All I need was the confirmation number then I contact my credit card and reverse the charge. My credit card company was awesome and I am glad I kept the agent's name and confirmation number, as this was helpful to my credit card company. Don't let them get away with it- if you have to use a cordless and put them on speaker while you wait to talk to someone then do it- I think that is their scam people don't want to wait to cancel. Good Luck!
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I think this is becoming more and more common- My sister had something similar with a vitamin sample...it was a nightmare. I keep seeing ads for free stuff, then in tiny, cannot-even-read-print it states its NOT free at all, but actually will cosy you a fortune.
    One such ad I got was for a free book- in the tiny print that couldnt even read, (had to copy & past onto a word doc) it stated by accepting the book, I was acknowledging my membership into some 'club' and such acknowledgment obiges me to pay something like $160/month- just for belonging to some 'club' ( never said what the club was...not a book club or the like, I know that)

So BE Careful!! With the economy so bad and people still needing money, it makes sense that scams are on the rise!