Smoking cigarettes

Options
Did y’all stop smoking cigarettes when you started working out?

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I did and then re-started. I quit as recently as last October and re-started in January lol.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I was a 2-3 PAD smoker at one time. I actually quit about a month or two before I started dieting and working out. I still smoke a couple of cigars everyday though.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Nah. I started working out back in July. I quit smoking last Sunday. If I can make it through the next couple of weeks without going on a killing spree, I'm curious to see the effect on my workouts - I was pretty happy with my progress even with the smoking handicap.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I stopped smoking during the same time when I was losing weight and working out more but the changes weren't totally related.

That said, I can say that quitting smoking at the same time I was/am eating to a lower calorie level is really hard. You're going to need to find some kind of release because the feeling of deprivation against two really strong addictions can be a bit of a bear to get through. I turned into quite the a**hole for a while and am only now (3 months later) feeling my emotions starting to moderate.

On the plus side, my athletic performance has made ridiculous improvements since I stopped the cancer sticks and my lungs feel so clear and wide open. It's amazing how poor my breathing was before and I just couldn't feel it.
  • Afrosty08
    Afrosty08 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Well I’ve stopped smoking before but there are days where I want a cigarette and then I’ll buy a pack...
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Quit smoking 20 years ago. Replace a bad habit with a good habit, like exercise. Good luck!
  • Jenna2315
    Jenna2315 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Not yet but I would absolutely love to! It's so hard though...ill grab one without even thinking about it just out of habit :/
  • jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat you are. I have quit and restarted multiple times. Most recently, about 12 days ago, I am a quitter again.

It was spring break for me, so I took that week and ate like a cow. I am mentally and physically incapable of eating right while trying to get nicotine out of my system. I have the ability to quit cold turkey, even though I have the gum, as I think it is better to detox than to wean off from nicotine.

It was a low-stress time period in my life, so I took the opportunity. One goal that week: don't buy cigarettes. I ate like a cow and moved like one.

By the end of the week (last week), the cravings went away, and I have no desire to smoke as of now.

I can recommend, you should quit when you have the least amount of possible stress in your life. fighting cravings is stress enough, and if your coping mechanism for handling stress is to smoke, then it is that much harder to quit.

Now that my diet is back on track (calorie-wise), I am going to be spending April focusing on working out and shaping myself.

I hope that helps.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    No, it took me about 3 years of weight loss and working out to decide to quit smoking, and then restarted because I wasn't ready for the side effects (including, but not limited to, hunger). Will probably quit again once at goal weight under the care of a doctor, or maybe just switch to a less harmful nicotine delivery system.

ETA: I didn't notice any improvements in my exercise performance when I quit, which I thought was weird. In fact, I experienced wheezing and breathing was harder every time my intensity went over a certain threshold which I can maintain without problems as a smoker.
  • katedalzell7
    katedalzell7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking when I started fitness.