Alternatives to running

Options
So, it's seeming that I may never be able to run (as in go for a run) again due to limited ROM in my ankle - I can hobble jog, but it's off balanced and I don't want to mess up other areas due to the jilted gait.

I use the elliptical and bicycle, but historically they never seemed to be anywhere near as hard of a workout as running was. I've never really enjoyed running, but did find the benefits pretty useful.

Have you found other alternatives that give a pretty similar workout for you? Thinking maybe rowing or something in place of running? I can do most other forms of cardio type things, I can run up and down stairs but find that harder to sustain for longer periods of time...any other suggestions of things I maybe haven't thought of?

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for any specific cardio benefits, or just a cardiovascular workout?

Are you doing these things indoors only? Or is outdoors an option?

My first thoughts were rowing, swimming, and mountain biking (if that's an option for you).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Bicycle riding is very complimentary to your sport.
    Many top flight motorcycle racers are very serious cyclists too. Cal Crutchlow does thousands of miles for example.

If you aren't finding it hard enough then you need to go faster and/or climb more and/or go further or if indoors turn up the resistance.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Bicycle riding is very complimentary to your sport.
    Many top flight motorcycle racers are very serious cyclists too. Cal Crutchlow does thousands of miles for example.

If you aren't finding it hard enough then you need to go faster and/or climb more and/or go further or if indoors turn up the resistance.

All of this...

cycling can be every bit as good a workout as running.

Most of your rides should be at a comfortable, conversational pace just like running. I think a lot of people get on a bike and tend to just do a very leisurely pace.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    After cycling I would give a shout for rowing! I prefer running but my wife loves the ERG.....
  • joyoakey
    joyoakey Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Intervals on a stationary bike give you a great cadio workout. I do 4 minutes of hard peddling (my heart rate can go up to 140's....okay for me) followed by 3 minutes leisurely (HR goes down under 120). At the end I peddle until my heart rate is back to 100. My resting heart rate is in the low 60's. I pulled my hamstring running in a track meet and can only do the bike right now. If you're looking for long and slow, you can do that on the bike too. Just up the level for more of a workout.....add hills, etc.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Rowing definitely. Cycling if you have the roads for it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I also row once or twice per week...it's good cross training for cycling.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Rowing definitely. Cycling if you have the roads trails for it.

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    So rowing, maybe some HIIT on the stationary bike, I try to get out to a bicycle trail now and then, but I have to work out super early, so it's tough on a regular basis (plus my bike is a hybrid, and decent road or mountain specific bicycles are an investment I'm just not interested in making yet). Unfortunately drivers out here are horrible so I don't have interest in bicycling on roads, but there are decent paths around that's not much of an excuse.

Any aerobics or classes you've found are good cardio workouts that would remind you of running? I enjoy zumba, maybe should see if there are any that fall in my workout window.....
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I went from running for 3 years, mostly trails, to rowing (erging, indoor only) for the last 3 and a half or 4. I was a terrible runner (bad right knee and limited structural abilities). For me, I now burn more calories rowing in an hour than I could running in an hour. I could only run @ 5 MPH but I row fairly well and it's much, much easier on my body. I burned (roughly) 375 calories in 25 minutes today on the rower and it was my "easy" day. I followed that up with 25 minutes on an Assault Bike (one of your other options) for 350 more calories. So, 700 calories in 50 minutes on my "steady state" day (what runners refer to as slow, steady work).

When I ran, I was lucky to burn 500 calories in an hour (at 5 MPH). Now if I was a faster runner, it might be different (like a 6 or 7 minute miler).

If you go rower, Concept 2 is far and away the best. Other ideas are SkiErg (also by Concept2, it's a beast of a machine, the actions of Cross Country Skiing indoors). I'd also look at Assault style Air Bikes (the Assault Bike, Air Dyne Pro or Xybex or the new one -- Rogue Echo). I have an Air Dyne Pro and it's amazing. Actually, I don't go to the gym any longer. Their rower is broken, they don't have anything that compares to an Assault style bike and their KBs only go to 35 lbs (I have a 53 lb one).

Of all of these, if you like interactions/apps, you should go with the C2 Products (SkiErg or rower). There are so many interactive tools you have access to it's not funny (the logbooks, ErgData, RowPro or the new one LiveRowing). WaterRower is trying to come up with some to compete but it will be years before they're even close.

If I were to create my dream gym, no where in it would I have a treadmill. They just don't compare to these other pieces of equipment. Running takes you outside into nature, which can't be beat. But as the most efficient exercise any longer, no. There have been studies demonstrating rowing is far superior but I'm biased.

One more item to consider -- resale value. All of these items I've mentioned are under $1000 and don't have motors that could break. Because of that, they don't wear down easily and are all commercial grade. You cannot find any of these used for 75% of their new value (unless someone just didn't do anything on them to maintain them), so the resale value is also amazing. A five year old rower (that costs $999 new) can't be found for under $750. In my running days, I spent $120 every 3/4 months on shoes. Now, my rower is costing me $50 a year, if that.