I am so mad!!

Options
Ive been doing really good this week. Im even walking a little faster. Now I have a SHIN SPLINT!!:grumble:

Anyone got any tips?:flowerforyou:

Replies

• JenniferMann24
    Options
    Ive been doing really good this week. Im even walking a little faster. Now I have a SHIN SPLINT!!:grumble:

Anyone got any tips?:flowerforyou:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    take a few days off. no sense in undue pain. :flowerforyou:
  • FloridaGranny
    FloridaGranny Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Do some weight training -- shoulders, arms, biceps, tripceps, & back.

Start with small weights - 5lb or so - and work into it. Try to do 12 - 15 reps each. The last 3 are meant to be harder............
  • nicolet04
    Options
    new shoes
  • rsalgado
    rsalgado Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I FEEL your pain!!!!!!!!!!! I went to the doctor to get help and all I got was pain killers. So, what I have learned in three short weeks:

-Stretch well before a work out
    -Make sure you have really good shoes
    -Try to work out on a mat of some sort. Anything that has a little give for when you are jumping, etc.
    -Put a weight on the top of your foot and lift the foot up for about 20 reps each side. This helps to build of the front of your leg.
    -After a workout take an ice cube and ice the front of your leg until the ice cube melts away...it really helps
    -Oh ya...pain meds help too :)
    -They do get a little better gradually, but I still have to work through the pain too :(

Hope some of that helps.
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    All great suggestions....especially the good shoes.

The more you work out - the less you will feel this. Working out is the best way to get rid of the pain too.
  • wannabeflaca
    Options
    Speaking of drugs. There is a new topical NSAID PATCH that is minimally systemic to the body it is called Flector Patch. I used to market this product to my physicians.
    I am not trying to sell anybody on this product but I use on myself and I have pain in a site specific locations.
    As a matter of fact, I used it on my shins recently and it helped tremendously. I also use it on my knees.
    Talk to your doctor and see if this will help. As firewalking mentioned it will get better with excercise.
    But remember RICE.
    Rest
    Ice
    Compression
    Elevation
    This is also helpful.
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    new shoes

Ditto. Shoes play a huge role in shin splints. 2nd...increase your potasium. I THINK this correct, but maybe get someone to second it. :smile:
  • JenniferMann24
    Options
    Thanks. Ive got one more question. I heard that you are not suppose to stretch before a work out only when the muscle is warm after a work out. Is that wrong?
  • slm638
    slm638 Posts: 64
    Options
    Thanks. Ive got one more question. I heard that you are not suppose to stretch before a work out only when the muscle is warm after a work out. Is that wrong?

You should never stretch cold muscles. You can stretch before your workout, but do 5 min on the treadmill or just get moving somehow to warm up your body before any stretching.
  • jim_weldon
    jim_weldon Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have suffered shin-splints for > 20 years. Everyone says "they will go away" & "build-up your muscles & they will go away", "stretch more" or my personal favorite "just exercise through it".

Well - When they got so bad a few years ago that I actually went to the Dr. - on top of pain releivers - he said reduce the intensity.

Here is what I have found out - if you try to "run through them", you end up with stress-fractures. This is what happened to Lance Armstrong when he ran in the NY Marathon a few years ago. It is what happened to me too.

To reduce the "intensity", you can reduce the speed, the incline, the duration or the frequency. I have tried all four (on top of buying more shoes than Imelda Marcos). The only one that worked for me is frequency. If I try to run every-other day - within 2 weeks I can barely walk. Just this past January I proved it to myself again after convincing myself that I was cured from the chronic pain.

If I keep it at no more than once every three days - I can manage the pain (yes - Tylenol is my friend). I have been able to comfortably run 4 - 5 miles for the last year - though it has been nearly impossible to do the thing I want to do like run a half or full marathon. It is just really hard to build-up the mileage running only every 3rd day. Even with riding 25-50 miles per week, it is impossible to build-up that level of endurance.

Oh yeah - I just bought these last month: http://www.zensah.com/men.html
    I have no idea how they are working, but they were recommended in the USA Triathlon magazine for January...
  • rsalgado
    rsalgado Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    The no stretching thing before a workout is news to me. My doctor specifically told me to stretch first...grrrrrrr:frown:
  • hibbler22
    hibbler22 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    NEW SHOES!!! STRETCHING!