Probably a dumb question, but about deadlifts

Options
Is it normal for your lower back to hurt while doing deadlifts? I've been doing them consistently for about 7 weeks, the pain is not severe and goes away after I rest. I just want to make sure I'm doing it correctly, I keep being told that you can hurt your back easily doing deadlifts if you're not doing them correctly.

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    you should not feel anything in your back. get a form check.

This. You should really be feeling them in your glutes and hammies. Your form may be off.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options

This. You should really be feeling them in your glutes and hammies. Your form may be off.

For the first few weeks that I did them I felt something in my back. It wasn't really a pain, I just felt something. But at the time I had a very weak lower back and after I got used to the movement and worked out more I didn't feel anything.

Yeah, and soreness is fine. The word "pain" used by the OP is concerning.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Squats are a very difficult lift that can be extremely beneficial but when done improperly can cause lots of pain and damage. It is a compound movement that requires a strong back, legs, shoulders, core and grip strength. You will find your weak areas quickly when they are done with perfect form. I am normally not a huge advocate for personal trainers but there are a couple workouts like deadlifts that you really really need to have good form. If you are planning on doing any form of squatting or deadlifts I would suggest having at least one session with someone to give you perfect form. Really focus on form and not the weight. Good for you for taking on deadlifts because a lot of people avoid them due to their difficulty. GET SOME!!!
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna leave this here... I too would raise concerns about form:

https://youtu.be/wYREQkVtvEc?t=3m4s
    This starts at 3:05, but the whole vid has value.
  • GirlVersusFat
    GirlVersusFat Posts: 31 Member
    Options

For the first few weeks that I did them I felt something in my back. It wasn't really a pain, I just felt something. But at the time I had a very weak lower back and after I got used to the movement and worked out more I didn't feel anything.

Yeah, and soreness is fine. The word "pain" used by the OP is concerning.

It's not really bad pain it feels like someone is pushing down on my back when I bend forward, I also feel a pulling in my legs and back if that makes sense.
  • GirlVersusFat
    Options

I really only started feeling it when I upped my reps, I don't know if it makes a difference but I'm doing stiff leg deadlifts following muscle and strength dumbbell program for beginners
  • GirlVersusFat
    Options
    Squats are a very difficult lift that can be extremely beneficial but when done improperly can cause lots of pain and damage. It is a compound movement that requires a strong back, legs, shoulders, core and grip strength. You will find your weak areas quickly when they are done with perfect form. I am normally not a huge advocate for personal trainers but there are a couple workouts like deadlifts that you really really need to have good form. If you are planning on doing any form of squatting or deadlifts I would suggest having at least one session with someone to give you perfect form. Really focus on form and not the weight. Good for you for taking on deadlifts because a lot of people avoid them due to their difficulty. GET SOME!!!

It's basically impossible for me to use a trainer I may have someone film me and try to compare with a how-to vid, thanks for the advice though.
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I took a coaching lesson last week to go over the dead lift and the squat. Everything I have been doing was wrong!! The coach pointed everything that was wrong and god knows how many points there were. It's probably going to take a while to perfect it, but I feel much better now when I do it. Probably the best £30 i have spent for a long time, I should have done it a long time ago
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I have pain when I do stiff leg deadlifts, but that's because I'm injured. It should not hurt while you do them.
  • julescarita
    julescarita Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I tore a muscle in my back doing dead lifts because I ignored the months of pain I had while I was doing them....
  • GirlVersusFat
    Options
    SurfyPants wrote: »
    Is it normal for your lower back to hurt while doing deadlifts? I've been doing them consistently for about 7 weeks, the pain is not severe and goes away after I rest. I just want to make sure I'm doing it correctly, I keep being told that you can hurt your back easily doing deadlifts if you're not doing them correctly.

It is not a dumb question, it is a really important question. Glutes and hamstrings not back. Your form is not correct and if you don't perfect it, you will hurt yourself. My physio got me to practice with a rod until I got the hinging motion correct and learnt to engage my glutes.

xa3ald5bsvf0.jpg

z9qhvpvlnc8e.jpg

a7w8rsjmbxhu.png

?
    This seems like a really good Idea, what kind of rod are you using?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Do you have a mirror? Don't lift actual weight while trying to see your form but use something like a broom - or maybe video yourself from the side while you go through the motion. With a straight leg deadlift you should be pushing forward with your hips, using your glutes and hamstrings, and your back should not really come into it. It's not the same as Good Mornings. Concentrate on keeping your spine neutral - don't look straight ahead or stare at the ground. If you have to lift with your back, drop down in weight until you can do the lift with good form.
  • GirlVersusFat
    Options
    Do you have a mirror? Don't lift actual weight while trying to see your form but use something like a broom - or maybe video yourself from the side while you go through the motion. With a straight leg deadlift you should be pushing forward with your hips, using your glutes and hamstrings, and your back should not really come into it. It's not the same as Good Mornings. Concentrate on keeping your spine neutral - don't look straight ahead or stare at the ground. If you have to lift with your back, drop down in weight until you can do the lift with good form.

No I don't have a mirror I'm going to have someone record me, but where should I look? I always try to keep my head, neck, and back straight I thought I was following the guy in the vid I watched but I guess not.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

No I don't have a mirror I'm going to have someone record me, but where should I look? I always try to keep my head, neck, and back straight I thought I was following the guy in the vid I watched but I guess not.

Look wherever you need to in order to keep your head in line with your spine - usually the floor a few feet ahead.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Is it normal for your lower back to hurt while doing deadlifts?

Only if you're doing it wrong.

You should initiate and power the lift entirely with your legs, hips and butt, NOT w/your back.

The lower back remains rigid (no slouching) and in a fixed position from the start of lift until the bar reaches mid-thigh, then and only do you raise your back by pivoting it at the hip to finish the move by standing straight up but, by then, most of the work has been done and there is much less stress placed on the lower back.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna leave this here... I too would raise concerns about form:

https://youtu.be/wYREQkVtvEc?t=3m4s
    This starts at 3:05, but the whole vid has value.

I will never move the barbell ever again.

Me either. That was a god video though. I got a few points from it. Especially do not move the barbell :wink:
  • Sparkeysworld
    Sparkeysworld Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    No!
    Your form is obviously not correct.
    Try doing rack pulls, until form is up to scratch, also use as lower weight as possible, even just the bar and steadily add weight over time.
    https://youtu.be/dG2IQAq7JLA