Fibre in Vegan Diet

Options
Hi all I'm hoping to find some insight from people who have successfully transitioned to a well balanced vegan diet. I'm trying to eat a mainly vegan diet, and to get enough protein I've incorporated a lot of pulses such as lentils and beans into my diet. The only problem is that with all the protein has also come a LOT of fibre intake, significantly more than the recommended amount, which sometimes makes me super bloated. Any advice about how I can get enough protein without overwhelming my body with fibre?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Not transitioned but I’m compulsively helpful.

Tofu is low in fibre.

Try changing the water a few times when you soak your pulses from dry.

Try adding oil like olive oil and see if it runs through your system differently.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,259 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting enough fats, and water. Probiotic foods (raw/unpasteurized sauerkraut, vegan kim chi, kombucha, etc.) also help some people. Get exercise.

It's a better strategy to ramp up fiber slowly, but it sounds like it's kinda too late for that. ;) IME, most peopled come to tolerate high fiber within a few weeks, but there us a small chance this may not turn out to be the optimal mix of foods for you.

Best wishes for improvement!
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    You could take a look at low FODMAP vegetables - they are low in certain oligosaccharides that cause bloating in some sensitive folks.
  • _TheLittleMermaid_
    _TheLittleMermaid_ Posts: 7 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Fiber amount isn’t the problem. The way you’re processing it is. It will get better over time, but you can cut back and gradually increase the amount of fruit and veg intake over two weeks. You can also take magnesium and potassium to help with the bloating now. Also decrease the servings of beans and lentils per day for now and gradually build up. You’ll get there!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Along with tofu, which has already been mentioned, seitan doesn't have very much fiber either. However, many people find that they can handle more fiber if they increase their intake slowly. Your body may adjust to it over time.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Fiber amount isn’t the problem. The way you’re processing it is. It will get better over time, but you can cut back and gradually increase the amount of fruit and veg intake over two weeks. You can also take magnesium and potassium to help with the bloating now. Also decrease the servings of beans and lentils per day for now and gradually build up. You’ll get there!

This. There have been studies that show over time you get better and better digesting fiber, especially beans. Just make sure that you're cooking them well to break down excess lectins. InstaPots are great for that.

I'm not 100% vegan. We still eat meat twice a week (not all day, one meal) and eat Vegan the rest of the week.
  • MissTrina2017
    MissTrina2017 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your thoughtful responses. I've been at this for several months now, and my body hasn't seemed to have adjusted any, so I will try some of the suggestions like soaking the beans and lentils, adding in probiotics, and looking into low FODMAP foods. I'm not crazy about tofu, but I haven't tried seitan yet so I'll have to look into that.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Tofu is like mushrooms. It takes on the character of however you prepare it. I like mine crispy on the outside so my favourite is extra firm, baked.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    There are tofu presses on Amazon or other sites you can buy that squeeze out the water and then fry it in some coconut oil. Even with the Extra Firm, the presses make a huge difference. Not a Seitan fan either. I do like Tempeh but I'm gluten free and Tempeh has gluten.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    There’s some great videos on YouTube on cooking tofu which has helped me get more comfortable with it and enjoy it more. I made some last night that was so good it was like eating popcorn (coat in nutritional yeast and taco season, pan fry until crispy on outside. Small diced cubes are best).
  • dovnkels
    dovnkels Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    At about the 4 month point of transitioning to a vegetarian (and now vegan) diet I went from being a miserable bathroom dweller back to normal. Keep drinking water... your body will catch up!