Ways to Compete as an Adult

Options
I’m 24 years old. I played soccer from the age of 3-18 and ran track as a sprinter from 14-21. Since graduating college I have ran 3 half marathons but my body needs a break from all the running. I am currently lifting 5 days a week but am struggling with the fact that I am not training for any type of competition. I have been competing and training for something since the age of 3. I feel like my life is missing something without it. Any suggestions for fitness/athletic competitions to look into would be appreciated.

Replies

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    If you’re enjoying lifting, competing in that is the obvious choice. Either powerlifting or weightlifting depending on the exact type of lifting you like.

It’s fun, it’s addicting, and no matter what level you wind up competing at, you truly only compete against yourself.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Aside from running, I have friends here that compete in powerlifting, Olympic lifting, and martial arts... I'm sure there are a ton of other options.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Also obstacle course races, and strongman competitions.

Since strength training helps with all sports, why not just pick any sport you enjoy.. volleyball, indoor climbing, surfing, whatever. Lifting doesn't have to be all you do. :+1:
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    another vote for powerlifting :)
  • kllazaro
    kllazaro Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses. Although I love lifting for training, I unfortunately have too many joint/back problems to go much heavier than I’m going
    4RMx130 Bench
    2RMx260 Deadlift
    2RMx265 Back Squat
    So I am not quite at a competitive level for that sport.

CrossFit would be a DREAM. I used to train but my work schedule doesn’t allow me to get to regular classes unfortunately.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    If running is out all together, there goes a couple of my options.

Bike racing. Lots of options: crits, time trials, and track races. Tour type races are much harder to find for amateurs, all long distance events are either casual (centuries) or part of an Iron distance bike race (112 mile time trial)

Depending on where you live: ski racing. I've got nordic races and biathlons within a 3 hour drive.

Semi-athletic: shooting sports. Aside from summer & winter biathlons, some are a little athletic. Some aren't at all.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Indoor rowing? Really fun and intense.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    In your area there are many available competitive sports in which amateurs may participate. Myfitnesspal is not likely the best tool to find them.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    Cycling
    Triathlons
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you want to compete then play to your strengths which with your background and injuries I would have thought would be cardio based but a cardio event that doesn't "beat up your body".

Cycling is my thing (currently) would seem to fit the bill and there's load of varieties from on road to off road, from speed to endurance etc. etc.

Are there any sports you have either tried or want to try? I'm very self competitive so progress is satisfying but sport does give that different focus of beating your opponent. At your age you should still be trying everything as you may not have found that one thing that really inspires you.

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    You could join an adult soccer league
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Follow your interests.

I've competed at american football nationally into my 30s.

Competed at running into my 40s.

At baseball and now powerlifting(with a progressive joint disease and pain 24/7)almost age 50.

There is plenty of opportunities and levels to compete at. I know people that compete at knitting.
  • chrisbarthold
    chrisbarthold Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started martial arts at the age of 37. In my art (Tang Soo Do), competition is more about getting out there than sweeping the leg. I have a blast. Obstacle courses are also really fun! In both, competition is friendly, not cutthroat. People are there to help you be the best you can be.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Swimming, league sports (soccer indoor/outdoor, softball slowpitch/fastpitch, volleyball, pickleball)
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Look for local adult team sports and get on in there and try them all. You'll still want to lift but it'll break up the view for sure. I gym every day but I also play roller derby!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Lots of great suggestions already, whether team sports or individual. Reading your post, it seems like you have strong running ability, but want both a break from heavy run training and a new competitive challenge. That describes a number of triathletes I know, since the strategy, venues and workouts are varied when you're training for a multisport event. Two other thoughts regarding triathlon. First, you can get as competitive or stay as casual as you like. Second, the multisport crowd is typically very welcoming and supportive to new entrants.

Whatever you do, remember to have fun!
  • ccjlgrider
    ccjlgrider Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You could join a master’s swim team and compete in master’s meets as well as some USA swim meets depending on whether the upper age division is 15&up or “open”—those you could. 15-18 you obviously can’t. I see people well into their 40’s at some of my kids’ swim meets sometimes. Those meets would be easier to find than master’s meets in my area. If you are in California or Arizona or Florida, finding master’s meets may be easier. Easy on your joints and would be cardio intensive like running. www.usms.org is the US Master’s Swimming site. Good luck!
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    Join an Ultimate Frisbee league! It's not too intense (physically), but it's fun and competitive. It's a nice supplemental activity to add to your schedule.