Breastfeeding Mamas

Options
Any mums nursing? Would like some friends that understand! I'm currently nursing my 19 week old and ready to start shifting some pounds!

I'm 24 with 2 sons

Replies

• DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    You can add me :)
  • Alma_Mama
    Alma_Mama Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Also a breastfeeding mommy here!
  • christiesmith1017
    christiesmith1017 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Added you both x
  • Sparkeysworld
    Sparkeysworld Posts: 107 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Personally I wouldn't do anything extreme that may alter your hormone levels, whilst you are BF.
    This is my weightloss plan that will work for anyone.

A simple 500 calories deficit is enough for good weight loss
    Now the 500 calorie deficit is what I would recommend to most people, however I would start lower and go for longer whilst BF so lets say 200 - 300 calories.

The key to any diet is knowing exactly how many calories you need on a daily basis, and just eating under that number).

First you need to workout how many calories your body needs in a day (Total daily energy expenditure).

Weigh yourself first thing in the morning.

Input your data in this website www.tdeecalculator.net
    Choose whichever activity level is closest to yourself.

Then click the cutting calories button (under the macronutrients heading), this will give you your starting calories, and what you need to stick to on a daily basis (this will have deducted -500 calories so don't forget to add 200 or 300 back in.)

Try to get as close as possible to your cutting calories every day, a little over or under is fine but no more than say 20 - 30 calories either way.

Foods to eat:

Absolutely anything you want, Just weigh and track everything you eat and drink inc milk in tea & coffee etc. (don't add calories back in when you've exercised, MFP will ask if you want to do this).

Check your TDEE on a weekly or daily basis, because it obviously drops as your weight comes down, and adjust calories accordingly in Myfitnesspal.

If you want quicker weight loss you can obviously add in cardio and or resistance exercises, not only will this help build muscle but it will also create a bigger calorie deficit.
    If you were to do this I would recommend just a 30 min incline walk on the treadmill or walk outside at a steady state.

Drink plenty water, at least 2-2.5 litres a day.

And that's it, just carry on until you are at the weight you want to be.
    Once you get the Breast feeding out of the way, you can upp the deficit back up to 500.

Good luck and have a great day!
  • millicentanopueme
    millicentanopueme Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey, am a 24 year old mom with 3 girls. My last baby is 2 weeks and 4 days old. I already started hitting the gym. My friend just introduced me to this app and am still learning how to use it as well as how to make friends on it for accountability purposes. Pls anyone should feel free to add me and if someone can teach me how to add other moms, I would love that.
  • DomesticKat
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Personally I wouldn't do anything extreme that may alter your hormone levels, whilst you are BF.
    This is my weightloss plan that will work for anyone.

A simple 500 calories deficit is enough for good weight loss
    Now the 500 calorie deficit is what I would recommend to most people, however I would start lower and go for longer whilst BF so lets say 200 - 300 calories.

The key to any diet is knowing exactly how many calories you need on a daily basis, and just eating under that number).

First you need to workout how many calories your body needs in a day (Total daily energy expenditure).

Weigh yourself first thing in the morning.

Input your data in this website www.tdeecalculator.net
    Choose whichever activity level is closest to yourself.

Then click the cutting calories button (under the macronutrients heading), this will give you your starting calories, and what you need to stick to on a daily basis (this will have deducted -500 calories so don't forget to add 200 or 300 back in.)

Try to get as close as possible to your cutting calories every day, a little over or under is fine but no more than say 20 - 30 calories either way.

Foods to eat:

Absolutely anything you want, Just weigh and track everything you eat and drink inc milk in tea & coffee etc. (don't add calories back in when you've exercised, MFP will ask if you want to do this).

Check your TDEE on a weekly or daily basis, because it obviously drops as your weight comes down, and adjust calories accordingly in Myfitnesspal.

If you want quicker weight loss you can obviously add in cardio and or resistance exercises, not only will this help build muscle but it will also create a bigger calorie deficit.
    If you were to do this I would recommend just a 30 min incline walk on the treadmill or walk outside at a steady state.

Drink plenty water, at least 2-2.5 litres a day.

And that's it, just carry on until you are at the weight you want to be.
    Once you get the Breast feeding out of the way, you can upp the deficit back up to 500.

Good luck and have a great day!

Or they can, ya know, use the app the way it's intended. Thanks, though, bro.
  • DomesticKat
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I just want to reiterate what medical professionals recommend for weight loss while breastfeeding to counter the bro-science that was posted:

If you have excess weight to lose, a doctor or midwife or lactation consultant will tell you to eat "intuitively" while breastfeeding in order to help the weight come off. In other words, eat at maintenance. Some of us can eat intuitively at maintenance and lose weight. Some of us, like me, have to count calories by using a food scale in order to make sure we're at maintenance because we'll blow through the deficit breastfeeding creates and actually gain weight.

Some of us can easily lose 1 pound a week while eating at maintenance. Some of us may have to eat over maintenance at times in order to avoid losing too much weight every week. If you're nursing a toddler, you may have to incorporate a small deficit if your baby doesn't nurse as much or is almost weaned. Guessing how many calories breastfeeding uses isn't necessary. Keep it simple and start out by eating at maintenance. If you have less weight to lose, don't lose as quickly every week and counter that by eating more. Eat back your exercise calories. You're not doing yourself any favors by creating an even bigger deficit.

Pay attention to your body and how you're feeling, get enough calories and feed yourself well, especially to fuel those sleepless nights because that takes more energy out of you. Pay attention to baby's peeing and pooping frequency if you're concerned about your milk supply. If you have any questions or concerns, talk to a medical professional.
  • carlyebun1987
    carlyebun1987 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello I have three boys and currently still partially breast feeding my son ( he’s 14 months) and still wakes in the night.
  • lishaalexis
    lishaalexis Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    You can add me! I just returned back to the app after taking a hiatus while pregnant. I am exclusively breastfeeding until I go back to work in June. LO is almost two weeks old.
  • christiesmith1017
    Options
    You can add me! I just returned back to the app after taking a hiatus while pregnant. I am exclusively breastfeeding until I go back to work in June. LO is almost two weeks old.

Hi added x
  • melodyclaridge127
    melodyclaridge127 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! I’m a first time Mommy. And my baby girl is 2 months old. I’m breastfeeding and am blessed to say it’s going very well. I pump at work, but I’m a paralegal do the majority of my day is spent at a desk. My app told me I should eat 1700 calories a day. Should I adjust this for my breastfeeding lifestyle or stick to it? Is there a way to tell the app we’re pregnant or nursing?
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Hello! I’m a first time Mommy. And my baby girl is 2 months old. I’m breastfeeding and am blessed to say it’s going very well. I pump at work, but I’m a paralegal do the majority of my day is spent at a desk. My app told me I should eat 1700 calories a day. Should I adjust this for my breastfeeding lifestyle or stick to it? Is there a way to tell the app we’re pregnant or nursing?

You can search for breastfeeding in the food section and it will add calories for you or you can manually adjust your calories in the set up function. Exclusively breastfeeding adds approximately 500 calories to your day so it might be easiest to set yourself at maintenance and let breastfeeding give you a calorie deficit.
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    My LO is 14 months and still nursing. I was super hungry from it his whole first year and mostly just did my best to not gain. Around his first birthday my hunger levels finally stopped being so crazy and I've been back to counting calories and getting rid of some of this baby weight.
  • DomesticKat
    Options

See my post above @melodyclaridge127
  • DomesticKat
    Options
    @asherje See my long post above.
  • abbygarrison5
    abbygarrison5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My LO is 3 months and I'm exclusively breastfeeding. Have 10 pounds to go to hit pre pregnancy weight and then another 10 to hit my goal. If there is a BF group on here I would love to be added!!
  • christiesmith1017
    Options
    I've added everyone :D
  • jenmomrn80
    jenmomrn80 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Add me please! Mom of 4 here. Currently nursing my 9 month old. I am one who tends to gain while breastfeeding, so trying to be accountable for what I am eating so I can return to a more comfortable weight.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Check out the info in the second half of this thread:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10176233/gaining-weight-during-pregnancy-and-losing-it-post-partum

And this group is active and has some great ladies in it.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/639-post-partum-pack

~best wishes
  • leabishop
    leabishop Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Mom of 2 here. I have a lot to lose. My second is 3 weeks old. Just downloaded the app and getting started. I'd love to join the group