Breathing during exercise?

Options
Do you inhale and exhale through the nose only or do you use your mouth. I keep reading it is better to just use the nose, but for some reason I exhale through my mouth. Could this be why I get short winded so fast. After while my mouth does get extremely dry causing my throat to get dry.

Replies

• TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    In through the nose, out through the mouth.. that's what I do.
  • ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    I breathe in through my nose and out my mouth. It seems more natural. If you watch videos they are usually using their mouths. Only in yoga I think you use your nose. Just my opinion.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Your nose is there to warm, humidify and filter the air you breathe, That's why you should breathe in through it. exhaling doesn't matter at rest. But if you purse your lips when exhaling slowly, like blowing bubbles, it will give your body more time to extract a little more oxygen from your blood stream. Auto PEEP.
  • Kassielin13
    Options
    When I inhale and exhale through my mouth I feel an asthma attack coming on. I haven't had one in over a year but I quickly remember breathing techniques. Inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth. I feel even better when only using my nose though! HTH!
  • shortiy2k2002
    Options
    I found that it got easier when I'd breathe through my nose after so long... the in through nose out through mouth seems like a very good suggestion, though. Eventually your breathing will even out and your tolerance/recovery improve.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    When exercising, it's best to breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    I breathe with my lungs... don't care which orifice it enters through as long as I don't pass out from lack of oxygen.
  • stefaniec09
    stefaniec09 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I do yoga and it's in through the nose out through the nose.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I don't think about it. When I want air, I really don't care whether it gets into my lungs through my nose or my mouth. It could get sucked in through my *kitten* and I wouldn't care.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I second all the people who say in through the nose, out through the mouth. I used to be prone to hyperventilation, and that's what the doctors recommended to keep me from doing that. Also, make sure & take nice deep breaths, breathe in by moving your stomach, not your shoulders. Try to fill your entire belly and chest with air rather than breathing too quickly & shallowly.
  • Trev87
    Trev87 Posts: 9
    Options
    You should breath in through your nose, out through your mouth. The circulation of oxygen will be alot easier. Usually you should exhale during the effort phase of the exercise (if doing weight training or something similar). If cardio, try to control your breathing, it will help the circulation, if you're sprinting or trying to work at 70-80% of your rpe (rate of percieved exertion) you will get a shortness of breath if you're inhaling and exhaling too quickly, take control of it as i said above, breathe slowly and think/know you're in control of what you're doing. It should help.

Feel free to add me if you find this advice useful, always happy to help :)
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I hold my breath because it makes my heart rate rise higher burning more calories....
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I don't think about it. When I want air, I really don't care whether it gets into my lungs through my nose or my mouth. It could get sucked in through my *kitten* and I wouldn't care.

would that be like a reverse queef????
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options

kgo34.jpg

This is why I love you. LOL.

@OP When I'm lifting weights I breathe through my nose. During cardio, I breathe through my mouth. That's the only way I survive Insanity workouts haha!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options

No. Queefs are vaginal.
  • muffindowd
    Options

Annnnnnd this is why we are friends.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    In through the nose out through the mouth for exertion exercise or physical activity. For normal breathing and/or to regulate heart rate, you should be inhaling and exhaling through the nose (i.e. why you will typically see this in Yoga).

There are several (too long to list and a little complicated) reasons why is very important to breath in through the nose. However, exhaling is a little more controversial. It is mostly done in exercise to get the air out faster to take the next breathe. When you're physically active, your abdominal muscles contract and push your diaphragm against your lungs even more than usual. This rapidly pushes out the air in your lungs. It also helps the core because it involves abdominal contractions.

Some in the medical field warn against getting in this habit for fear it may affect normal breathing, specifically when sleeping.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Usually you should exhale during the effort phase of the exercise

Depends on the exercise. Heavy squats for example, will require a Valsalva Maneuver where you actually hold your breath in your abdomen during the effort phase, then exhale and inhale between reps. This action stabilizes the base of your torso and helps protect your spine.
  • xBigBellyx
    Options

Hahaha fantastic response!! made my day x
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options

yes they are , so maybe this would be a inhaled fart thru the *kitten* !!!!!

No. Queefs are vaginal.