100 pounders? 450 lb man here - need support

In BC (Vancouver) and seeking others in a similar situation.
Need support such as ideas, encouragement, meal suggestions, exercise.
News to this and just starting the journey.
RJ.

Replies

• jbhartzell4214
    jbhartzell4214 Posts: 20 Member
    You just need to keep at it. It's goner take a long time, but slow and steady will get there. I've got to lose nearly half my weight. Good luck and stick to the calorie guides for your height and weight. Baked jacket potatoes are good - you can add fillings like cottage cheese, tuna, garlic mushrooms. There's lot of recipes on the site. Don't beat yourself up it you fall off the wagon once in a while - and just start out!
  • texmexcoconut
    texmexcoconut Posts: 18 Member
    I'm at my heaviest.
    I have tried over and over again.

This is what I have told myself:
    Relax and make good decisions one step at a time. Don't look at the big picture. Set little goals and squeeze in activity here and there.

I have added stretching to my bed time routine so I can sleep better. I now do 10-20 squats when I'm brushing my teeth. If I have a minute, I added cleaning to my routine. Being healthy is not for our bodies, but our minds.

I'm happy to be a support buddy! And if anyone wants to add me they can!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,268 Member
    You are here. Congratulations. I have more than 100 pounds to lose. I have lost on this site. Take one step at a time. Make one healthy change you can achieve. Do it! Feel good about that. Then take another. Don't give up!
  • Marillian
    Marillian Posts: 3,892 Member
    Congratulations on making the decision to become a healthier person. Support is paramount! If you are interested, I would like to invite each of you to join an active, fun and supportive group for people that have or had 100+ pounds to shed without having weight loss surgery. The link to the group is:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3322-100-pounds-with-no-surgery

I hope to see you there!
  • medwards47
    medwards47 Posts: 5 Member
    I have never been a slim guy. A few years ago I had a medical issue that completely enhanced my weight gain. I went up 60-70 pounds over 6 months. For 4 years, I let that be my excuse for being at my top weight. I did buy a recumbent bike and rode it some. When I did ride, it was at a relatively comfortable 30 minutes a day. (and not every day) I didn't do much of anything to change my diet. It did little to benefit me.

My work started a weight loss challenge a few weeks ago. The first months challenge was to do 45 minutes of exercise 5 days a week and at least some exercise the other 2. The extra 15 minutes was a BEAR at first. Just a couple of weeks later, I hurt significantly less and am adding extra time in. Logging your exercise and food seems like a pain. But it makes you look at the ugly truth square in the eye. You then have 2 choices. Fight back or give up. I have given up before. I don't intend to this time!

Drink a lot of water. There is little need for silly calories with beverages. I usually have a cup of juice (apple, cranberry, grape, etc.) once a day. Get creative with meal plans and integrate as many veggies as you can handle. I have started to do my own "stir-fry" (a little oil, more like a steam fry). I get stripped meat from the super market (chicken, pork, beef). I go through the fresh produce and choose 5 or 6 veggies and mix them up each time. (cabbage, bok choy, brussel sprouts, shredded carrots, celery, mustard greens, rainbow chard, kale, onions, zucchini, yellow squash, ginger, garlic, snow peas, sugar snap peas, green beans, etc.) In the "asian foods" section of the store, find a stir fry sauce that appeals. Cook the meat, set aside. Cook the veggies in the same pot, covered to steam them. Add the meat back in and add as little of the sauce as you can and still get the flavor. You can have a pretty large and hearty meal for less than 500 calories. I work at home and find that this is easy enough to do for lunch during the day.

The first week is uncomfortable at the very least. You are capable of far more than you think you are! Fight through it. Find someone, a friend, family member, coworker, etc. That you can be accountable to. It has to be someone that will tell you the truth AND that you can handle the truth coming from them. In my case that is NOT my wife. It just pisses me off when she suggests going for a walk or whatever.

Good Luck! You can do it!
  • noumena_
    noumena_ Posts: 45 Member
    My eyes glazed over while reading this thread after the thought of baked potatoes filled with cottage cheese. *drool* thanks @jbhartzell4214

Anyway. Good luck on your journey. There's such a great support system here at MFP. Congrats on taking the first step.