Protein Powder

Options
I have seen many protien powders advertise both a Protein powder, and a “fit” or “weight” loss protein powder. I am trying to lose a few pounds but also struggle with reaching my protein goals for the day.
Will adding protien powders that are not the weight loss or for kind make me gain weight?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Eating too many than you need makes you gain weight.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    joinjoin wrote: »
    I have seen many protien powders advertise both a Protein powder, and a “fit” or “weight” loss protein powder. I am trying to lose a few pounds but also struggle with reaching my protein goals for the day.
    Will adding protien powders that are not the weight loss or for kind make me gain weight?

No, not unless the calories put you over goal. Most weight loss protein powders are simply lower cal. Just log your protein powder and any other ingredients to account for the cals.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    One strategy is to look for a protein powder with at least 80% of the g per serving being protein grams. Ex - I am using a bodylogix supplement at the moment & each 30g serving has 25 g of protein, for 110 calories. A 227g serving of plain greek nonfat yogurt is 24g of protein for 130 calories, and it's actual food (& I have it daily). But mixing up the bodylogix with milk and additional cocoa satisfies a different taste/fluid requirement in the moment.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

Be verrrry careful of the calories in a lot of protein powders.

imho - You're better off gaining the protein you need thru lean meats (grilled chicken) and eggs than a calorie laden protein powder.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Protein powders are just a supplement to help hit protein targets...they don't inherently cause weight gain or weight loss. Any protein supplement that is advertising "weight loss" is just gimmick marketing.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I add protein powder to my smoothie as I'm not a breakfast person. It helps me feel fuller.
  • makinemjellis
    makinemjellis Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I’m new to the protein powder game, but I’ve had some success with baking with it. So I can still ~treat myself~ but still get some nutritional benefits
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Just look at protein powder as another food choice (which it is), and just figure it into your diet calculations.