VENTING

Options
Okay so it is hard to go a day or two on here without reading about someone who "couldn't say no to themselves" regarding some snack or something that would put them over the calorie limit or whatever. But I have a few points to make.

It is so annoying to see that! Of course you can say no to yourself! You're a grown-up! You can put your big pants on and make some difficult choices! That is a lot of exclamation. But seriously.. no one can make you put down the ice cream and pick up a carrot stick.. if you want to lose the weight then get real and make it happen.

If you don't buy these things.. they wont be an option to cheat with. Duh. And a wonderful concept? Saving money on food you shouldn't be eating anyway by not buying it!

It seems sometimes that the only reason people even post those things is because they want affirmation that it is okay to fail over.. and over... and over again. When it isn't!

Fail once and fix the issue.. fail twice and you're the issue.

That is what our calorie budget is for! Think of it as if we were at battle with the food industry.. which we are! All they care about is making a profit and it doesn't matter if they make a salad healthy or not. NO THE SALAD COVERED IN CHEESE AND FRIED CHICKEN AND RANCH IS NOT HEALTHY. So find something tasty and relative in calories and make it work. If you can't find something, I can promise you there is a lower calorie recipe for whatever you're wanting.

For those who think I don't suffer either? Wrong! I crave stuffed crust supreme pizza almost alll the time and donuts... mmmmmm..

Replies

• aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Donuts..... sigh. 7 months so far without a donut.
  • myurk
    myurk Posts: 108
    Options
    Hahaha. That's the post I was thinking of too AnaBanana
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    What's also annoying are people who believe they can sustain 2.5 - 3 pounds of weight loss per week, every week, for months and months on end. Yep, I'm looking at you, OP.
  • sryan8408
    sryan8408 Posts: 244
    Options
    I agree with everything that youre saying! My favorite quote when I have a craving... "If you do what you've always done, you'll only achieve what you've always had." In other words if I eat that ice cream every night or pizza or anything fattening, I'll be the same weight. You have to change yourself to get change. Change your attitude. That food may taste good but it KILLS your body. It KILLS your heart, your joints, your energy, and your self esteem. Again very well said! We don't need encouragement that everyone falls off the wagon. Which gives us more reason to do it again.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Fail once and fix the issue.. fail twice and you're the issue.

LOVE IT :drinker:
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thanks for saying that!!! People need to take responsibility for their own actions.

I like to add in the section below my food and exercise log things like, "Today I didn't make it to the gym" or "I ate that because I wanted to". It has helped take the guilt away because it's something I control.

Do Better to Be Better!!!
  • sassyshook
    sassyshook Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    And your reason for being on here is.....??? Lots of people have issue to say no to their selves and if they didn't have the support from someone to tell them its ok try again and help pick their motivation back up people wouldn't need this site. When your so used to overeating its hard to stop and when you do stop you have this ultimate urge to eat because your body is saying "Hey I need more this is not what you usually give me" You shouldn't be so hard on people, a lot of people are not strong willed. If you can't get support to tell you "its ok try again" then there would not be half the people on here that have lost 20+ pounds.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Oh, I hear ya...I hate that phrase -- "couldn't say no." It's very easy: press your tongue the back of your teeth and make a “nnnnn” sound, then drop the tongue, purse your lips and say “o-o-o-o-o”. Two year olds have this word freaking mastered!

I’m of the opinion that having junk food occasionally is fine (I know that's a can of worms and hotly debated, but that’s my stance), but I believe that you have to OWN it. If you don’t claim ownership over it – if you spin it in your mind like you were the helpless victim – you’re letting that junk food have power over you. That is an unhealthy mindset, the one that gets us fat, the one that lowers our resistance to those foods in the first place. Own it, log it, don’t make excuses.
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    That is funny, I just read that guy AnaBanana and loved it. And as far as you, Q, I'm sure people who fool themselves are annoying. Not that it concerns the majority but I need to keep my goals lofty in order to stay focused and not have days where I can "take a break" and still be okay in my eyes. I know what works for me and I make it happen. Best of luck to you, though.
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    What's also annoying are people who believe they can sustain 2.5 - 3 pounds of weight loss per week, every week, for months and months on end. Yep, I'm looking at you, OP.

LOL!
    but anyways, i agree, yet disagree. if people didn't think they were wrong they wouldn't post that they failed. and the last thing they need is someone making them feel worse. no one is perfect, and not everyone can quit cold turkey. i'm not saying encourage unhealthy lifestyles either, but there are better ways to tell folks they need to change it up than by simply saying it 'annoys' you..which in retrospect...has no affect on their choices whatsoever.
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!
  • RachelSRoach1
    Options
    Now don't get me wrong. I was averaging close to 3000 calories a day not even 3 months ago and it is tough. I love this website because the people here wont let people think about quitting and that's important. But perhaps instead of telling the same person repeatedly that it's okay to go over when it's the 5th day in two weeks they have done it... we can offer advice instead of pacifying struggles. Just food for thought. Besides.. I wouldn't offer strong opinions on here if I couldn't take alternative opinions.
  • Johnsweaver
    Johnsweaver Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Everyone has the willpower, whether they believe it or not, to make the right decisions. The motivation is what's lacking.

If it were a choice between $1000 or the donut, what would they do? Instant willpower.
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    And your reason for being on here is.....??? Lots of people have issue to say no to their selves and if they didn't have the support from someone to tell them its ok try again and help pick their motivation back up people wouldn't need this site. When your so used to overeating its hard to stop and when you do stop you have this ultimate urge to eat because your body is saying "Hey I need more this is not what you usually give me" You shouldn't be so hard on people, a lot of people are not strong willed. If you can't get support to tell you "its ok try again" then there would not be half the people on here that have lost 20+ pounds.

I agree with you. Support is sometimes what we need. Sure I have lost 70lbs, but I always could use some support, hey and even kindness.:flowerforyou:
  • sassyshook
    sassyshook Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am sure the ones complaining about the people saying they couldn't say no maybe only have 50 pounds to lose where the ones that are not being able to say no have 100+ pounds to lose. I will be the first to tell you I have 100+ pounds to lose and there are times that the urge wins, I am not perfect by any means.
  • ComedienneCrystalP
    Options
    I only read a few of the replies, so I don't know if this has been said or not, but I don't deny myself. I do everything within reason. Without exercise, I'm within my goals pretty much, so if I exercise, it allows me extra calories, fat, carbs, etc. which means I can enjoy a small treat. For example, yesterday, I had some Garrett's Popcorn from Chicago. I measured out an ounce and it's the caramel popcorn with almonds. It's 160 calories for an ounce. However, I exercised over an hour yesterday burning over 900 calories, so having that popcorn didn't affect me. I don't believe in starving. I just watch my portion size and I eat my food once an hour. So, when I pack my lunch for work. Instead of me eating the entire lunch at noon, I'll have something at 9AM, something at 10AM, something at 11 AM, etc. Small hourly meals are a lot better than one big meal at a particular time then having to wait hours for dinner. I eat my breakfast the same way. And then I get all of my water in. The only reason why I haven't drank pop or Kool-aid is because they're empty calories. But if I wanted to have a glass, it would be cool because of the exercise. Just because you're "dieting" (and I don't ever use that word) doesn't mean you have to be unhappy. But at the same time, you can't overdo it either. Just because you're excercising doesn't mean you should be taken in an excessive amount of sugar either. EVERYTHING should be done in moderation....even exercise! :-)
  • RachelSRoach1
    Options
    I am sure the ones complaining about the people saying they couldn't say no maybe only have 50 pounds to lose where the ones that are not being able to say no have 100+ pounds to lose. I will be the first to tell you I have 100+ pounds to lose and there are times that the urge wins, I am not perfect by any means.

I HAD 150 to lose give or take... now I have only 100 to lose.