Logging as you go OR already logged?

Options
HappyKat5
HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
edited March 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I won’t be able to exercise for the next 7 days due to a minor surgery (I’m usually work out 5-6 a week.) I usually log my food as I eat it throughout the day depending on how I feel. With no additional exercise, I’m thinking about making a set menu and just eating what I log for the entire day. Curious to know, if logging as you go versus a menu already logged in makes a difference?
Thanks

Oh, and the weird thing I eat almost the exact same thing everyday so it really shouldn’t bother me, yet I kinda does.

Replies

• wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    All depends on you. I log as I go, cause I never know what I'm gonna eat until I do
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I pre log during the week, log as I go more on weekends
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I usually log what I plan to eat for the day in the morning and amend it during the day if plans change. I never log exercise until I have done it though.
  • VeggieGirlforLife
    VeggieGirlforLife Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I do both. If I know I want to have a bigger calorie dinner on a certain day, I will log the dinner in advance to see how many calories I have left for the day. This helps me not go over my daily calories. Otherwise if I am planning on a lighter meal in the evening, I just log as I go throughout the day.

Good luck with your surgery! Hope you recover quickly and can get back to your workouts soon.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    All depends on you. I log as I go, cause I never know what I'm gonna eat until I do

That is exactly what I do, and for the same reason. I only pre-log if I am having something already made in advance (soups, chili, meatloaf, etc.) or leftovers. It is personal, and what works for you; and as long as you keep within your calories for the day/week, everything is cool.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery. Eat healthy, rest and heal.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    @HappyKat5 Don't know how minor your surgery is going to be, but in all likelihood there will be days you don't feel your usual self, and won't want to eat the stuff you pre-logged.

But yes I normally log as I go, sometimes actually logging the whole day at night before going to bed.
  • HappyKat5
    Options
    Thank you the responses. I actually think I’m going to meal prep for 3 days to start and just pre log my food. I haven’t done a meal prep in about 3 weeks but I think it will help in case, I want to try something new. I ate eggplant yesterday and liked it, so I want to incorporate it in my rotation.
    Oh, and thank you the well wishes. It’s a minor surgery for me but I won’t be able to move my right arm. Most of my cardio classes include my arms, so I’m more bummed about that, I actually love working out. Yup.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I pre log during the week, log as I go more on weekends

Same, I log my meals before on days that I work and the opposite on days where I don't work, simply because I have more liberty.
  • MessyApron
    MessyApron Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I usually log what I plan to eat for the day in the morning and amend it during the day if plans change. I never log exercise until I have done it though.

This.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm similar to you in that I pretty much eat the same things everyday but still prefer to log as I go. Once I finish dinner though I log my evening snack and beverage ahead of time and close out my entry for the day.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I log the night before so I can prepare any food to pack the next morning. I don't eat anything that is not planned (my new rule as of last week).
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Mostly log as I go, but I've been known to pre log main meals a few days ahead, then log the rest around that as I go. Have a good rest week.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I prelog my food for the day every morning.
    I don't really understand people who don't know what they are going to eat for a meal until right before they have it. I guess I am always thinking a couple of meals ahead. I have dinners planned for the month. I have food bought for the week. I know what restaurant I will go to well in advance. I can figure out what I'm going to feel like eating for at least the majority of the meals of the day ahead of me.

I sometimes change my mind about a food or discover the food was not good/there and I adjust my log. I'm fine finding something with a similar calorie count to slot in.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I don't really understand people who don't know what they are going to eat for a meal until right before they have it. I guess I am always thinking a couple of meals ahead. I have dinners planned for the month. I have food bought for the week. I know what restaurant I will go to well in advance. I can figure out what I'm going to feel like eating for at least the majority of the meals of the day ahead of me.

I sometimes change my mind about a food or discover the food was not good/there and I adjust my log. I'm fine finding something with a similar calorie count to slot in.

We are all different @Lounmoun, and maybe that is what makes the world and life more interesting. I can't understand how people can log days in advance or think about plan meals weeks in advance. I like organization and predictability to certain extent, but I find that thinking about food or meals all the time is boring, and not that important to me.

I know that I will have pork chops tonight, but I don't know what else to make with it. I will figure it before dinner. No worries. Alas, it is almost lunch time and except for homemade soup and homegrown pink grapefruit for desert, I still don't know what else I will make. And life is good :D
  • HappyKat5
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I could probably log my breakfast and lunch Monday thru Friday and be pretty accurate for the week. Dinner is the wildcard.

For me, the consistency of those two meals has really helped control calories.

My food diary is a story in monotony!

If your diary is a story in monotony...then mine is a poem. I literally eat the same foods everyday. I have a safe list of foods that I eat (not because I want to, but because I have medical issues.). I miss the spontaneity of just going “eating” but I have learned to pick monotony and feeling better over that...it’s not always easy but then again, everyone has something that isn’t easy for them either. I’m slowly introducing new foods/items into my menu. This month, it was eggplant. I fell in love...hard!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    HappyKat5 wrote: »
    I could probably log my breakfast and lunch Monday thru Friday and be pretty accurate for the week. Dinner is the wildcard.

If your diary is a story in monotony...then mine is a poem. I literally eat the same foods everyday. I have a safe list of foods that I eat (not because I want to, but because I have medical issues.). I miss the spontaneity of just going “eating” but I have learned to pick monotony and feeling better over that...it’s not always easy but then again, everyone has something that isn’t easy for them either. I’m slowly introducing new foods/items into my menu. This month, it was eggplant. I fell in love...hard!

As I read through threads on MFP, I'm noticing more the effect of cultural and geographical differences. Also differences between different generations and age groups.

What you describe as "a story in monotony", is the way my grandparents lived. The difference with them though, was that although they ate a few different things, it was predictable based on the day of the week. So their children, (my parents included), knew exactly what to expect on a Monday as opposed to what would be cooked on a Thursday. Of course Sunday was special, with better meals than the other days.

My parents in their own time moved away from the way my grandparents did it, but still retained a bit of structure. Now in my own family it's quite erratic and unpredictable. As we don't do a carefully measured daily cooking, there's always leftovers from whatever gets prepared, so I could be logging the same thing for three consecutive days until it's gone, then we do something else.

The other stark difference I see on here is the number of persons who base their thinking around restaurant meals. I find it hard to relate to that as a new "normal".
  • HappyKat5
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    HappyKat5 wrote: »

As I read through threads on MFP, I'm noticing more the effect of cultural and geographical differences. Also differences between different generations and age groups.

What you describe as "a story in monotony", is the way my grandparents lived. The difference with them though, was that although they ate a few different things, it was predictable based on the day of the week. So their children, (my parents included), knew exactly what to expect on a Monday as opposed to what would be cooked on a Thursday. Of course Sunday was special, with better meals than the other days.

My parents in their own time moved away from the way my grandparents did it, but still retained a bit of structure. Now in my own family it's quite erratic and unpredictable. As we don't do a carefully measured daily cooking, there's always leftovers from whatever gets prepared, so I could be logging the same thing for three consecutive days until it's gone, then we do something else.

The other stark difference I see on here is the number of persons who base their thinking around restaurant meals. I find it hard to relate to that as a new "normal".

I grew up in a home where we ate at home, and with meals that lasted at least 3 days. We rarely went out. So, if we had meatloaf on Sunday, we had it on Monday (as a sandwich) then Tuesday stuffed in a green pepper until it was gone and then my mom made another batch of stuff. I admit my kids look at me when I say “leftovers” because they expect something NEW everyday. Over the years (and as they have gotten older) they realize we are going to repeat. We may skip a day, but we usually work it in creatively. For me, I eat can’t eat most of the things that I grew up. I eat separately from my family because I can not tolerate a normal diet. We try to do a everything in moderation (for them) but, I guess I want them to eat more things (& try new things) because my diet is the same day after day. My mom to this day will eat fish everyday. When she visits, and I say, I’m not sure what dinner will be tonight, she looks at me like, “What?”
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Lounmoun wrote: »

We are all different @Lounmoun, and maybe that is what makes the world and life more interesting. I can't understand how people can log days in advance or think about plan meals weeks in advance. I like organization and predictability to certain extent, but I find that thinking about food or meals all the time is boring, and not that important to me.

I know that I will have pork chops tonight, but I don't know what else to make with it. I will figure it before dinner. No worries. Alas, it is almost lunch time and except for homemade soup and homegrown pink grapefruit for desert, I still don't know what else I will make. And life is good :D

Sure different things for different people. I am not saying everyone needs to be like me or criticizing people. I hope it didn't come off that way.
    I just can't understand living like that. I live with people who have severe anxiety so everything can be worries some days! Planning and routine help us get through as a family.
    If I were planning pork chops for dinner I would know the limited food options in my house and could decide side dishes that morning. I would not wait until 5 PM and open the cupboard and wonder what to have. I am not thinking about what to eat all the day long because the decisions are made.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I tend to log in advance to make sure I leave myself enough calories for a nice dinner.

If I’m having a lazy day, I plan ‘healthy’ foods right up to my calorie limit, and then if I want chocolate I have to go exercise :)

Other days I just log some calories for dinner as a placeholder, and sort out the meal planning later.