Girl Question in here... Birth control

Options
I have been put on birth control to regulate my horomones and it has only been 10 days but already I have put on 2.4lbs. I have been tracking my calories but I do notice a craving for sweets and carbs. Is there any long time BC users out there that can tell me if this will subside? It's very frustrating, I feel like I just want to give up! I'm taking Beyaz
Thanks!

Replies

• RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I don't take that brand but I do take B.C. and it gives me headaches sometimes.. other than that it's okay. You may just have to work a little harder to "just say no".
  • CassandreNoreen
    CassandreNoreen Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I was on a form of birth control and the cravings never ended. I did gain weight. About 6 months I switched to a different type and have had no cravings/weight gain. Every body responds to each set of hormones differently I guess.

That's just me though, perhaps it has subsided for other people. :)
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I have been put on birth control to regulate my horomones and it has only been 10 days but already I have put on 2.4lbs. I have been tracking my calories but I do notice a craving for sweets and carbs. Is there any long time BC users out there that can tell me if this will subside? It's very frustrating, I feel like I just want to give up! I'm taking Beyaz
    Thanks!

Quit giving in to your cravings. Period.

How do you think people quit smoking or doing other things that are bad for them?
  • pandora2010
    Options
    I've been using BC pills for a couple of years now, and at first I also put on a few pounds. I also got worried that I would continue to gain weight but after a few months, it stopped and I returned to my normal weight :) I wouldnt worry to much about it, but if you do contiue to gain weight I would maybe ask your doctor. Hang in there!
  • carlxo21
    carlxo21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You'll be back to normal after a month or so. Been on BC for 6 years
  • nikniki
    nikniki Posts: 21
    Options
    Has anyone tried the IUD and how were they with weight gain?
  • change_happens
    Options
    Thanks!

it will subside. Most of what you gain in the beginning is nothing more than water weight.
  • carlxo21
    carlxo21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

How do you think people quit smoking or doing other things that are bad for them?

she never said she was giving in to her cravings. rude.
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Heres your long time cure

WILLPOWER !
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I would give it another 2 or 3 months to see how your body continues to react. If you're still constantly craving sweets, I bet the estrogen is a bit too high and you may want to talk to your doc about switching. Are you having any other symptoms like mood swings, etc?

In the meantime, make sure you only have healthy snacks available, drink lots of water and exercise to distract yourself.
  • dgirllamius
    dgirllamius Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I had the implant and put on soooooo much weight. Well, I dunno if it was that, but it started to get more and more when I had it put in. I ate more, and I was hungry more. Soon as I had it out, the hunger started to go, and the weight is dropping too. Only problem having it out now is the painful TOMs.
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Ive heard birth control makes ya gain weight, but Ive been on BC since my 13 year old daughter was born! I actually lost all of my weight while on birth control. I always wondered would i just dry up and blow away if I stopped taking them. LOL, Wouldn't that be a nice problem to have? I do still take the old original(orthotricyclen)
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    You think 2.4 lbs is bad? Imagine the weight you add if you got pregnant. Sounds like a fair trade off to me!
  • Sj20fame
    Sj20fame Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

Thank you mrsCon, you read my mind! I always have cravings, but I don't always give in to them, so although you might have cravings(due to BC), just don't move that cookie towards your mouth, Self Control! Good luck to ya!
  • Janie5605
    Janie5605 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I am not personally on that form of BC but my friend back home is, she has been on it over a year now and has gained 10 lbs. She's pretty good about exercise but doesn't count calories (but also doesn't eat horribly if that makes sense).

I am on Mirena and have had no weight gain. but on the shot i gained 15 lbs...while another friend gained on mirena and lost on the shot. Every body is different and if it's still bad in a few months maybe try switching.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I despise birth control. Seriously.... I think it is the worst thing in the world for womens health.

I have a copper IUD and I love it. No hormones for me anymore.. EVER!
  • Nikki206
    Nikki206 Posts: 69
    Options
    I let my doctor know that weight gain was a concern of mine and she put me on Sprintec. I have gained weight but I don't think that it is because of my B.C. because I am now losing just fine. I know everything is different for everyone but I would talk to the doctor about it, they may be able to switch you to something that has less of a risk of that. I've been on mine for 2 years and I only had side effects the first 2 months but I always have trouble starting new meds. Good luck! :happy:
  • hefinator
    hefinator Posts: 260
    Options
    I had an IUD for almost 5 years.... it was amazing. the weight I did gain, was due to my own unhealthy habits, but I don't htink any of it could be contributed to having the IUD. i recently switched to a low dose pill, Aviane, and so far so good. still losing weight, and in fact, cravings of sweets have actually stopped.
  • rachrach66
    rachrach66 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I use the NuvaRing. I was using the Depo Shot which made me very irritable and fat. Never use Depo!! That shot is evil. With the ring its pretty easy to use and unlike the pill which you have to take every day which I always forgot!! You only worry about it once a month. I have not gained any weight with it. I have been using it for 2 years.
  • mandimoore617
    mandimoore617 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I take Ortho Tricyclen Lo because it's a low-hormone BC, and I did gain weight at the beginning of being put on it, but after a month or two, I was able to lose again. I've been on it over 2 years now.