Cholesterol, statin drugs and saturated fat

Options
I have a long story about my cholesterol battle but I'll try to keep it as short as possible. There has been a big misunderstanding about cholesterol and saturated fat, so I hope my info and own study will help others believe that fat especially saturated fat is not the enemy.

Lab work 10/1/2008 shows I had really high cholesterol:
Total 254
Triglycerides 227
LDL 173
HDL 36
Small LDL 2945

I also got a heart calcium score of 0.3

After the lab work, my Dr put me on Vytorin 10/40 and 4g of Lovaza. I also started working out 5-6 days/week. 3 days weights and 2-3 days cardio in order to lose some weight.

Under 1 month later I redid my lab work (10/23/2008). This is while on statin drugs and working out:
Total 133
Tri 113
LDL 61
HDL 49
CHOL/HDL ratio 2.7

I continued this path for about 2 years. I lost 30 lbs the first 6 months and continued on to lose 15 lbs more. I was just under 200lbs and went down to 150lbs. Feeling good about everything, I went back to do my heart calcium score. Since my cholesterol been so low, I expected to either stay the same or lower. My calcium score was 1.92. For over 30 years, the plaque in heart built up to 0.3. In two years of taking statin drugs, it went up to 1.92.

Confused and frustrated I decided to get off the statin drugs.

Lab work right before I got off statin drugs 12/3/2010:
Total 139
Tri 48
LDL 73
HDL 56
CHOL/HDL ratio 2.48

After 5 months of working out and no drugs (5/6/2011):
Total 286
Tri 98
LDL 211
HDL 56
Small LDL 1244

After seeing the results, my Dr wanted to put me on Crestor 20mg + 500mg Niaspan. He said studies show that this combination reduces and reverse plaque build up.

At this point, I concluded that statin drugs is just a scam to make the pharm company rich. It gives you pretty numbers but does nothing for you health. I tried to take Crestor + Niaspan just once. My energy level dropped way down. I had no energy to workout. I stopped taking Crestor.

After pondering a few days, I decided that I take a different approach. Instead of trying to lower my LDL, I'll boost my HDL to incredible levels. Did some research and found out that to get high HDL I needed to eat more saturated fat especially coconut oil. I started eating more fat and saturated fat and reduce my man made carb intake. My macro is roughly 25/25/50 for protein/carb/fat. Research shows that niacin also raises HDL, so I continued to take the prescribed 500mg Niaspan.

About 3 months later (8/3/2011):
Total 223
Tri 67
LDL 146
HDL 64
CHOL/HDL ratio 3.48

This was not what I expected but still very good. I thought my HDL would be higher with little effect on LDL. My LDL actually dropped 65 points from eating all that fat (saturated fat). I'm happy with the results. Every Sat and Sun, I eat 3 eggs + 3 sausage cooked in 2 tbl spoon of coconut oil. I also pour the left over oil over my eggs when I'm done cooking. During the weekdays I put 1-1.5 tbl spoon of coconut oil to whatever I eat during lunch which is usually rotisserie leg and thigh with all the skin.

What I plan to do next is try to keep increasing my HDL:
* Last week I switched to 2000mg instant release niacin. I've read this is the point where it is effective.
* Increase my coconut oil intake. I'm not too fond of the natural flavor but I'll gut it out this time.

Will post again in 2-3 months of the results.

Replies

• MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Your right on spot with this one, I use coconut oil in anything i cook, chicken, stir fry, ect and olive oil in salad dressings, saturated fat is good for you when it comes from good sources and also your poly and mono fats are also great. My trys were over 500 and now they are down to 134
  • Leanne1795
    Leanne1795 Posts: 186
    Options
    Have a watch of "Big Fat Fiasco" on Youtube. It is in 5 small episodes of a few minutes each. It certainly blows this cholesterol thing right out of the water!
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, and please keep us posted.

It's sick how big pharma is trying to get everyone on statins, even though clinical studies show little to zero effects on cardio vascular disease, especially in women. They've even gone as far as saying you should start taking statin drugs by age 2!

There is absolutely no link between high cholesterol and CVD. Even LDL is not a good indicator of risk. The best key indicators are triglycerides, and HDL. Yet the only numbers doctors tend to look at is your total cholesterol. In fact, they're even going as far as saying our current "normal" range is too high. Yet countries like france and the swiss have extremely high cholesterol and very low CVD rates. It's NOT the cholesterol!

My mother is on statin drugs and she is forgetful and has terrible muscle aches. I've tried to convince her to get off them, but her doctor uses scare tactics to keep her on them. I've been telling her to cut down on her carbohydrates and sugar intake. She's still pretty active considering her age and doesn't smoke.

Edit: Also, I've done some research on these positive clinical trials, and the way they interpret the data is just plain dumb. There was one study where they took roughly 21,000 men in 2 groups (drugs vs placebo) over 5 years and said that there was a 33% reduced risk of CVD. After more digging, it turns out that the group taking the drug,4% died from CVD. The group taking a placebo... 6% died. Dirty math! This means that if 100 people paid and took this drug for 5 years, only 2 would be "saved". What a bunch of BS!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Great to hear. Hope this helps spread the word.

Do you have your small LDL count on your latest checkup?

The Bitter Truth is also a great presentation (on YouTube) that explains how fructose can increase bad LDL.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Been eating like that for over 6 months. Have dropped about 50 lbs, 8 jean sizes & 16% bodyfat. Never felt better but my eating is pretty strict Paleo with very low carbs from mostly vegetables.
  • intomyframe
    Options
    (Sorry, I'm mostly a lurker [despite being a longtime user of MFP] looking for advice but this topic really struck me)

You have to watch Fat Head!!! It's a documentary.
    What the OP is saying totally supports the documentary Fat Head. Fat Head says statin drugs are scams by pharmaceutical companies.
    There's recent research that shows it's not cholesterol/fats that we should be wary of, but carbs and sugars as carbs+sugars damage our veins and the cholesterol merely shows up in attempt to heal our veins. The repeated damage carbs+sugars creates initiates more cholesterol to show up and heal our veins thus the build up.
    So doctors & pharm companies tell you to eat low fat low chol foods to help with your cholesterol problem, which means you have to intake more carbs and sugars to make up for calories each day. More carbs + sugars = more damaged veins = more cholesterol build up.

Anyway. The whole deal is more complicated than that and I don't know how to explain it in a more comprehensible way.
  • hamton
    hamton Posts: 245
    Options
    Thanks for the compliments and the info. I'll check it out and try to spread the word.

I've done a (Cyclical Keto Diet) CKD diet in the past. It was great at helping me drop the weight and still get to eat the food I like. Macro was 5/30/65 for carb/protein/fat. I had to drop it because it was just too intrusive when eating with the family. Now I use the Lean gains method with carb back-loading. Basically, no breakfast, medium lunch of protein and fat, and large dinner with carbs allowed (after workout). I kept that method but it didn't do much for my LDL (5/6/2011). So from there, I added coconut oil and 500mg Niaspan. After 3 months, my LDL went down 65 points. Kept almost everything else the same except I cut out as much man-made carb as possible. Replaced it with fruits instead.

I did not get a small LDL reading for my last lab work. My Dr does not schedule that every time because insurance doesn't pay for LipoMed. I end up paying for it when I want the lab work done. I'll ask him to do the lab work next time in 2-3 months. I wasn't sure what the results would be and didn't want to waste money if things didn't go the way I wanted. I can't wait for my next appointment for him to ask me what I did. I want to see his reaction when I tell him I did not take the drug he prescribed but instead consumed more saturated fat.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    That's really great news. I am not necessarily worried about my cholesterol and blood pressure at the moment, but I have been doing a lot of reading on the topic and I have definitely lost my fear of fat (I didn't have a big fear before, but now it is totally gone). I also think that I am going to start eating a more paleo diet (which is going to be an interesting shift considering I have been a bean-eating-meat-avoider for the past year or so).