Tips for Quitting Fake Sugar?

Options
I've been doing 4-6 diet sodas a day (aspertame), one or two cups of tea with splenda (sucralose) and I just discovered skinny lattes. These there are fine in moderation, but moderation is not my strong suit:)

It's dawning on my that i have a problem and probably need to look to fix. Straight water and tea and coffee are probably much better.

Has anybody crossed the fake sugar bridge? Any tips? Advice? Do you do real sugar in moderation? None?

-billb

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,117 Member
    Options
    No. I never did fake sugar, to be fair. It seems unnatural. But I have mostly eliminated sugar, and sweeteners in general.

It was a long process of weaning off , then finally just stopping.....I used to eat a lot of sugary stuff. Now I will have an ocassional sweet treat (like once every two weeks) and then I'm good for a long time.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Moderation not your strong suit?

Don't drink anymore sodas. Diet or regular. Stop adding sugar to your drinks/foods. Toss out all the packets you own and do not buy anymore.

You may hate water, but drink some. And then drink some more. After a week or so you will not think about tea or soda any longer, at least I don't. Water for all drinks for me! Unless I feel like some milk :)

It is tough to quit anything, but your willpower will get you through. Go nike and just DO IT :) You'll save money, too!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    great timing!

I had to go cold turkey (Last week) due to a health issue and ya know what, it was okay. I do brew peppermint tea now and add 1 tsp of real sugar.......then put over ice....tingly and refreshing.

No - nothing like a soda! But have to do what you know is right.....go cold turkey with a positive attitude and anything can be accomplished.

Best of Luck!
  • carmcd
    carmcd Posts: 115
    Options
    had to kick my splenda addiction after many scary articles about the chemicals that are in it.... now I use a little stevia in the raw or a tiny bit of real sugar! its takes getting used to! if you are an skinny latte person, try just getting it w/ non fat milk and ask for just one pump of regular syrup..i believe it comes out to be roughly the same cals as a skinny!
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 1-2 bottles of diet pepsi a day. Then one day I read an article on how acidic they are in one of the dental magazines and was totally grossed out. I was also pregnant at the time. Those two things did it for me.

I now have a very occasional glass of regular coke, but it's maybe once a month, sometimes even less.

ETA: I now drink LOTS of water, and totally crave it. Your body adjusts to it.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    great timing!

I had to go cold turkey (Last week) due to a health issue and ya know what, it was okay. I do brew peppermint tea now and add 1 tsp of real sugar.......then put over ice....tingly and refreshing.

No - nothing like a soda! But have to do what you know is right.....go cold turkey with a positive attitude and anything can be accomplished.

Best of Luck!

Having a drink with real sugar in it isn't exactly "cold turkey"...just sayin lol :tongue:
  • fmbarbuto
    fmbarbuto Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hi Bill - I gave up diet soda completely. I may have it here or there as a "treat", but I used to drink 2-4 per day as well. I think it was making me fatter!!! I only have my 2 tsp of Splenda in my coffee in the morning and the rest of the day I drink water or Lipton cold brew tea. That's it.

There are several diet soda articles on these boards - you can search them. We actually had an article in our Sunday paper (on 7/31 to be exact) that diet soda may be making you fat. Your body is tasting sweet from the soda, but not getting it and it makes you crave more. It's so true from my perspective because I would drink a 20 oz diet soda (w/ice) at lunch and an 1-2 hours after I ate lunch, I wanted to eat again and I was choosing the wrong things!

I'm glad I stopped drinking it and I really don't miss it!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • dgirllamius
    dgirllamius Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I was like you, 4-5 sodas a day, fake sugar on my breakfast etc etc....

I just stopped. I didn't ween myself off of it, I just stopped all together.

And I don't miss it one bit.

The only change is that I use proper sugar on my breakfast now, and thats the only time I add sugar to anything. I can't stand my cornflakes without a bit of sweetness. And considering I was only saving 4 calories with fake sugar over real sugar I didn't see it was worth the hassle.

I still enjoy my soads, and try and not have them at all. Unfortunately I like to eat out a lot so I tend to choose these, or opt for orange juice instead.

I just find my body hasn't missed the fakery at all.
  • winneau
    winneau Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I also just cut it out of most things (black coffee, etc.) but when I *do* want to sweeten, I use stevia. It is not a "fake" sugar, it's an herb. And it has virtually no glycemic impact on your system.
  • charsauce
    Options
    After researching and learning so much about artificial sweeteners, I decided to just give up drinking ALL beverages except water. It was easier than I thought.. (but I was never a coffee drinker.) I hear though that, once you drink coffee black for a while, you don't like it any other way. Good luck!
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I wrestle with this myself - I went off soda completely in March - big deal for me as i normally have at least one or two diet sodas at night as my "treat". I did that to wean myself from my "rum and cokes in a bucket" that had to go and found that the diet soda felt almost as good to me as my alcoholic beverage LOL. I find no soda a challenge sometimes (when i'm out and want to order a drink mostly) but am totally used to it now.

I have always hated water, hated nonsweetened beverages of any sort. When i went off soda, i switched to iced tea. I started by sweetening it, but week by week just used less and less sweetener. Eventually i was drinking plain iced tea (sometimes with fruit though to give me that sweet feel LOL). Once i was drinking plain tea, switching to water was easy. Here and there i still have tea, but i drink my 8 glasses of plain water a day and don't mind it at all. A sweetened beverage of any sort is like "dessert" to me now.

So yes, it can be done. Wean yourself, it is hard. I try to remind myself of the chemicals, and if i do want something sweet, tend to use just a tad real sugar and consider it a treat.

I also found when i was getting used to drinking less soda, that doing a 1 to 1 ratio of drinks helped. 1 glass soda, next drink i had was 1 glass water, even if i had to gulp it down, then i could allow myself a soda again later....that type of thing....

It can be done, and after a while you really don't miss it much, i swear!
  • eviltwinkie
    Options
    Wean. It's how I got off drinking mochas (or any sugar in coffee) many years ago. Reduce the amount of faux sugar in any sugar drinks where you control it. If you're drinking skinny vanilla lattes, ask for half the flavoring. keep cutting back until you ask for no flavoring.

Make sure you're drinking a good quality coffee / tea. A good cappuchino doesn't need sweetner (or much milk) - it should enhance it, not have to mask bitterness. Similar with iced tea. It will turn you into a coffee snob... but it's oh so worth it. ;)

I try and keep myself to one diet soda a day during the week. On the weekends, I let myself have whatever (non sugar.) Sometimes it's none, sometimes many. I don't buy caffinated pop for 'home' anymore, so if I choose to do many, at least I'm not overloading on caffiene.

If you don't have one, get a nice water filter for the fridge. I have a big one. Neutral tasting Ice water is awesome - and more of a goto drink in the evening for me. Can add some true lemon. If I want an instant ice tea, I use that, plus unsweetened/decaf instant, and a small amount of stevia.

Good luck!
  • microvation
    Options
    Thanks for the awesome info and advice all!

Based on what's I'm hearing people have been successful doing, I'm going to start cutting out all artificial sweeteners (meaning also no more soda, tea with spenda or skinny lattes) as of right now.

I will allow some sugar for now, which is more realistic for me. I keep to my calorie counts pretty well, (err...lately anyhow), so some real sugar won't break me weight-wise.

Thanks again!!
    PS: If anybody wants more support in their network feel free to friend me:)