Flexibility before weight?

Options
Raw_moon
Raw_moon Posts: 19 Member
I am having some difficulties figuring out where to start on my fitness journey.

Ideally I want energy/well being, and to recomp over time as weight or size isn't an issue.

I work 9-10 hrs 5 times a week, on my feet all day in food industry, which requires fast pace and heavish lifting.

Walk 30 min each night on my way home.

I sleep 7-8 hours each night and eat at maintenance (1700), but I still find myself exhausted.

I want to start 5x5 strong lifts, but I am worried my body is too weak and inflexible for proper form which will lead to an injury.

Should I start a flexibility routine and get form down before adding weight with the program or do both at the same time?

Replies

• Jenniferakajacel311
    Jenniferakajacel311 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I'm not an expert on weights or flexibility but perhaps you could pay for some sessions with a personal trainer to get some individual feedback.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Many programs have you work on form before adding any weight, or with only minimal weight. Even if the program you choose isn't set up that way, you could begin there while you work on form.

Or, you could begin with body weight exercises and flexibility. Yoga would definitely help you work on both.

I have some skeletomuscular issues and have my physical therapist check my form because it can feel like I am doing it right, but it turns out I am twisted at times.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Raw_moon wrote: »
    I am having some difficulties figuring out where to start on my fitness journey.

Ideally I want energy/well being, and to recomp over time as weight or size isn't an issue.

I work 9-10 hrs 5 times a week, on my feet all day in food industry, which requires fast pace and heavish lifting.

Walk 30 min each night on my way home.

I sleep 7-8 hours each night and eat at maintenance (1700), but I still find myself exhausted.

I want to start 5x5 strong lifts, but I am worried my body is too weak and inflexible for proper form which will lead to an injury.

Should I start a flexibility routine and get form down before adding weight with the program or do both at the same time?

I have no wonder that you are exhausted. You have a demanding schedule!

Flexibility is way over-rated. Start lifting but start light. Don't overdo it in the beginning.

Use weights that permit correct form. Use a basic routine that take not more than an hour.

The exercises alone will improve your range of motion.

• sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Form is 100% more important than the strength/weight part. Lift strong with bad form is a recipe for injury. Even if it's an empty bar start there get form down helps to have a spotter or trainer watching your form to point out any downfalls.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I haven't lifted in a few years but the one thing I remember about these progressive loading programs is that you only add weight once you have completed your reps *with good form*.

This (at least for me) meant if I'd done 4x5 perfectly and on the last squat on my 5th set I broke form a little that was a 'failed' lift and I didn't add weight.

At the start this meant that I don't add any weight for the first few weeks while I nail my form and then start to load. It also meant that I de-loaded more often than some others but that was OK with me. I was doing it build a stronger body not put up numbers or compete.