What kind of bad habit is this? On and off goals.

Fatvaporizer
Fatvaporizer Posts: 139 Member
edited March 2018 in Motivation and Support
I have this habit where I will get really motivated to achieve a certain weight or physique, and I will work so hard to achieve it, working out consistently and setting strict rules for myself in diet and everything. But that usually lasts just a while, after which I become completely unmotivated like I don't even care about the goal anymore. So I'll stop working out again.. And then, the cycle will restart again. What is this habit and mindset? Is this normal?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    It's called perfectionism, all-or-nothing mindset, black-or-white thinking. It's normal, as in ordinary, but not conductive to success.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    I will get healthier. No I won’t. I will look better. No I won’t. I will eat right. No I won’t...

Set strict rules?

What’s this look like to you? Notice you don’t ask for suggestions to get out of your feedback loop. Agree it’s perfectly normal. Not an effective strategy for change though.
  • 25lbsorbust
    25lbsorbust Posts: 225 Member
    Lack of discipline. People always say that motivation gets you started, and discipline handles the rest. And that's exactly what you're experiencing here.

Granted, I have the same issue. I can't get started when I'm not motivated, and I can't keep going forever.
  • Fatvaporizer
    It's called perfectionism, all-or-nothing mindset, black-or-white thinking. It's normal, as in ordinary, but not conductive to success.

Any tips to defeat perfectionism then?
  • Fatvaporizer
    88olds wrote: »
    I will get healthier. No I won’t. I will look better. No I won’t. I will eat right. No I won’t...

Set strict rules?

What’s this look like to you? Notice you don’t ask for suggestions to get out of your feedback loop. Agree it’s perfectly normal. Not an effective strategy for change though.

And I do want suggestions please.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Set more achievable goals/rules for a start.
    Such as:
    • Don't be one of those "I will spend 2 hours in the gym every day" people. Set aside a more reasonable planned 30 minutes 2-3 times per week. Realize that life happens, and there are valid reasons to miss an occasional session.
    • Pick a reasonable calorie goal - don't be too aggressive. And- Let yourself go over occasionally but keep up the counting/tally up the excess - see it as data you can use to re-evaluate your calorie goal rather than a fail.

Remember that we got fat/out of shape by consistently over-eating/consistently not exercising (and not because of that 1 'bad day' that happens occasionally)--> perfect is not necessary.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Keep telling yourself this- perfect is the enemy of the good.

Write it on a piece of paper and hang up where you see it a lot.

And something like this- I want to be better than yesterday. You only need to get better, not perfect.

Start thinking of things you do in terms of helpful or not helpful to achieving your goals. Think of your plans in terms of effective or could be better.

When you hit rough spots always consider what you are doing well along with factors that need improvement. You are in the business of managing process. Outcomes are only the product.
  • kstar0327
    kstar0327 Posts: 54 Member
    instead of thinking of it as goals think of it as behaviour changes as this isn't just for awhile but healthy lifestyle is a lifetime commitment
  • Fatvaporizer
    Thanks