anybody have an opinion on weighing yourself?

Options
I currently record my weight once a week and use that as my goal/progress, but I actually get on the scale 5-6 times a day... usually whenever I pass the thing. It can fluctuate between a half pound and a pound and a half. I have no idea why, but I just do it. I've been told this is 'bad.' It makes me think of Ghostbusters... "wait a minute Egon, you said crossing the streams would be 'bad.'

Replies

• GJ7072
    GJ7072 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every day, at the same time, on the same scale. People tell me I shouldn't do it every day but I do anyways ;-)
  • jljc_2010
    jljc_2010 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I too was obsessed with the numbers, but I have finally made it to where I only weigh myself once a week.
    As soon as I use the ladies room, I strip down, first thing in the morning, usually on Saturday's.
    Give it a try....
    And Good luck!!!!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    ssshhhhhhh.....................................you may start a riot here in a minute!

I weigh every day........not to be too OCD about it but I find the body facsinating because of all the little ups and downs. I like to see how a workout or food affects my weight. it helps me feel a bit more in control and able to fend off a gain.

You are not bad - you are a scientist!

Best of Luck!
  • saraii
    saraii Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ya goal is to weigh in once a week, doesnt happen its more like once a day.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning and log my weight once a week on my challenge weigh-in day. Seeing my weight daily keeps me accountable, because in my overweight past, when I avoided the scale, I was in denial about my actual weight.
  • tkirkes
    tkirkes Posts: 121
    Options
    I dont want to obsess over the numbers as I have before. So I have chosen to weigh once a month, that way I'm trying to go off of how much better I feel rather than what the scale is telling me. : )
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is a loaded question? :smile: I think everyone has an opinion on this. I had a home scale that was widely inaccurate (I would step on it 3 times quickly and get a 10lb swing). So when I started this current leg of my fitness journey, I started to use the gym scale, which is recalibrated regularly and I only step on the scale once a week. I have found it has allowed me to step back from obsessing about the number and focus on lots of healthy benefits from my new lifestyle. (lower cholestrol, better fitting clothes, more energy, etc.) This has really worked for me.
  • wenders123
    wenders123 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Once a week, same time (first thing in the morning), underwear, and after the loo :blushing:
  • WordToYourMamma
    Options
    Yesterday morning I weighed myself and in the evening I weighed myself again. I weighed 3 pounds more in the morning than at night. Then this morning I weighed myself again and was another pound down. Nothing abnormal about food going in or out either. Good example of why NOT to weigh yourself a lot.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh myself every day, right away in the morning. That way, I know it's not affected by the big breakfast I ate, or all the water I've drank throughout the day, etc.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Lots of people have opinions on this on MFP.

Mine is weigh in the morning, every day, after going to the rest room, naked. I don't weigh myself throughout the day because that would be like putting rocks in my pocket and getting on the scale. I do not need to know how much the food and drink I consume weigh.

If you find it discouraging to weigh that much, then maybe cut back. But if it's not discouraging you, then by all means...weigh yourself that much.
  • change_happens
    Options
    I currently record my weight once a week and use that as my goal/progress, but I actually get on the scale 5-6 times a day... usually whenever I pass the thing. It can fluctuate between a half pound and a pound and a half. I have no idea why, but I just do it. I've been told this is 'bad.' It makes me think of Ghostbusters... "wait a minute Egon, you said crossing the streams would be 'bad.'

My scale calls my name all of the time. But I only record my weight when I see a drop. I own it quickly :)
  • raydeb
    raydeb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I weight myself every day and know that with exrersize my weight will go up due to water for repair I only count the differance on monday but I feel it gives me a better understanding of how weight flutuates throught week.
  • roxyjo1
    roxyjo1 Posts: 29
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday in the morning, before eating & w/o clothes.
  • ido10612
    ido10612 Posts: 51
    Options
    I dont think its a bad thing. I weigh myself everytime im in the bathroom almost. I think it helps keep me in check bc my weight flexuates as well. It helps me realize that i may need to eat a little healthier for my next meal or run a little longer next time i get on the tredmill.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    ssshhhhhhh.....................................you may start a riot here in a minute!

LMAO. My thoughts exactly!:drinker:
  • sonybalony
    sonybalony Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I do it daily, but log weekly... this allows me to see trends that are not immediately obvious weekly. Also, allows me to see if particular food makes me retain water. (I then avoid those foods the day before my official weigh in)

If weighing yourself daily makes you a little crazy, or you start obsessing about every morsel that goes in your mouth, or getting discouraged /exuberant over the tiny fluctuations, I would give the scale to a friend that you only see weekly.

Best of Luck!!!

~Sonia
  • KrissyChefBaby
    KrissyChefBaby Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I was stepping on the scale every time I passed it too. My attempt to cut that out was me putting the scale in the bathroom on the entry level instead of the one right by my bedroom (in the basement). That didn't work either because i'm on the entry level too often so now its in the bedroom on the top floor lol. That worked :) Try putting it where you don't have to see it constantly lol.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you don't freak out about it and over analyze it, weigh yourself as often as you want. If you DO freak out about every half pound loss or gain, once a week (or NEVER) is better.
  • jenny138
    jenny138 Posts: 46
    Options
    I have been having the same problem. I have made a decision that I am putting the scale away for a month. Its going to be like withdrawl lol. I have been doing great with my eating and exercising but cant seem to lose any weight. I am going to try to get over the 'number' and go with how I feel. Now matter if I put the scale away or not I will still be eating the same and exercising so at least this way I wont get all upset.