Realistic to lose 5/5.5 stone (70lbs) in 6 months? / 2-3lbs every week?

Options
Hi everyone.

I'm going on holiday in about 6 months. I've been really trying to lose weight for the last couple weeks (exact calorie input via using scales for food etc) and I have managed to lose around 9lbs so far, and lost a stone over the course of last year via just cutting down on junk. I've selected the "lose 2lbs" goal on MFP, and I've also been doing cardio and full body strength exercises/gym 2-3 times per week.

I've yo-yo'd a lot historically, and I know my biggest losses always happen within the first couple weeks, then I lose motivation because I don't see results on the scale. I've never lost more than a stone or two in the time frame of a month-2 months then I usually slip back into old habits but I am 100% making sure I keep up my current regimen for at least 6 months because I've got a big holiday coming up, but I worry I'm not going to be able to get anywhere near target. Not that this will stop me from trying but I feel like I need some success stories or reassurance here!!

Has anyone managed to lose this amount in this time? Are my expectations unrealistic?

Thanks x

Replies

• jadelyndsey
    jadelyndsey Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    For reference, I am 6'1, female, 24 y/o and currently weigh 17 stone 9 / 238lbs x
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Probably not, but at your size you can a good way there. As you get closer to your goal you’ll probably find it easier to lower your rate of loss (both to fuel your body and preserve as much muscle mass as possible).
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The reason you haven't been able to lose/maintain loss in the past, hasn't been the lack of holidays to lose weight for, but your impatience and unrealistic expectations. You will not get any reassurance that you can lose 70 pounds in six months, because you won't, but that will not keep you from trying.

Someone morbidly obese can lose 2-3 pounds per week. You are not in that category.

You will, however, lose a good chunk of it, if you stick to an appropriate calorie deficit, consistently, and for real, for six months.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'd say you can probably lose half of that. And at 6'1", you'll be looking pretty good, especially if you are working out.