Rest days are important but...

Fatvaporizer
Fatvaporizer Posts: 139 Member
edited July 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
They say rest days are a must, to rebuild your muscles and let them recover, and so you don't get exercise fatigue or whatnot. But what if you're so motivated and into the routine that you feel like working out on a day that you're supposed to rest? For example a day where you'd get a 7-day streak of working out. Is it really unbeneficial to work out that consistently, and just better to rest even though you're not that tired? Or is it okay to work out even on a day you're supposed to rest, (i.e., for like 30 minutes)

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Your body has no calendar. If you feel good to go on a day which is scheduled for rest, and you are giving your major muscle groups breaks of at least a day between strength workouts, you can probably rest on day 8 instead of day 7. You are the one who can feel what your body is trying to say.

If you never feel like resting, you may want to up your intensity.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I do light exercise or cardio sometimes on my rest days.. but it depends on your programming and what you are doing on your workout days.. if you are lifting heavy 6x per week very intensely, I would say it's best to take a rest from lifting and not overdo it since it can affect muscle recovery. Overstressing/overtraining your muscles and CNS is not good for progress in the long run.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    I think it's more important to rest the muscle groups. I wouldn't work my legs 7 days in a row but I might work out every day alternating between legs and arms.

My current workouts are Mon, Wed, Fri I do an hour lifting/conditioning followed by an hour of boxing. On the other days I do light cardio or yoga. Rarely will I take a day to do nothing, and even then no work out day is usually when I catch up on chores around the house and I still break a sweat.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Letting muscles recover from overload/stress/fatigue is important - that's not the same as rest as in do nothing or even rest days.

A lot depends on what "working out" actually means.
    Duration, intensity, how accustomed to exercise you are, your overall schedule/routine (are you doing the same thing every day?) etc. etc.

My "workout" yesterday was 5hrs 40mins, that's going to need a different recovery than someone doing an hour of light weights or fitness work for example.
    I'm still going to the gym today but it's certainly not going to be leg day!
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    If by working out you mean lifting heavy then you should not be having 7 day streaks.
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    They say rest days are a must, to rebuild your muscles and let them recover, and so you don't get exercise fatigue or whatnot. But what if you're so motivated and into the routine that you feel like working out on a day that you're supposed to rest? For example a day where you'd get a 7-day streak of working out. Is it really unbeneficial to work out that consistently, and just better to rest even though you're not that tired? Or is it okay to work out even on a day you're supposed to rest, (i.e., for like 30 minutes)

I think I actually asked this last week.
    I've been doing the insanity workout. I just finished week 4 yesterday. I barely made it through the workout.
    No motivation, no energy, I literally over exerted myself.
    I think to each their own, but I just do whatever housework or busywork that I have to do and stick to my calories.
    If you can do exercise without burn out, something light is suggested.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    On my rest days I still do some light cardio like walk or jog. Something. I make sure I've logged at least 12,000 steps.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    OP can you describe your workouts?
  • Fatvaporizer
    30 mins on elliptical with strength training every other day. Or 30 mins on treadmill running and walking every other day, no str. Training.
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    30 mins on elliptical with strength training every other day. Or 30 mins on treadmill running and walking every other day, no str. Training.

That seems manageable. There is a difference between all out gym work, running at pace and cycling for 2 hours vs a healthy physical lifestyle. I think you fall under the healthy lifestyle category. Your body will tell you if it needs rest. Muscles will hurt, energy levels will drop and your mood will suffer (for me anyway).

Good luck :-)
  • hollyhock1009
    hollyhock1009 Posts: 135 Member
    I have searched out several video (YouTube) 4 week exercise plans, and usually the instructor will plan in a rest day once a week. However they also suggest to just do something different - such as swim, dance, hike, bike ride, go for a walk, play a group sport, yoga, etc.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    edited July 2017
    I take a long walk on my rest days too. My other days are filled with heavy lifting and rigorous cardio, so taking a long walk feels like rest!
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Doesn't sound like you ever need to take rest days based off your workout routine. If you feel tired or need a break one day, then take a break, but I don't think you need to plan rest days into your current routine.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Yoga is a great active recovery day activity. :)
  • Fatvaporizer

So you already have 3 or 4 rest days every week.

No I meant, on the days that I don't do one of them I do the other, it switches every other day.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Today is my "rest" day. I'll be doing 20 minutes elliptical and 20 minutes stairmaster.