Plant-based Easter dinner ideas (for one)?

I need some helpful ideas from the vegetarians/ vegans/ plant-based eaters.

I'm a vegetarian (but eat plant-based as much as possible) and will be visiting my omnivore family next weekend for Easter. I need to come up with an entree/ protein I can make for Easter dinner while my family is having the usual ham, either while I'm there or which can be frozen ahead of time that I can bring. If I'm making it while I'm at their house, it needs to be something that uses as few kitchen implements as possible because they have a small kitchen. Something which just cooks on the stovetop will probably be best because the oven will be full with their ham. I don't want to just bring a veggie burger because it's a holiday and it should be a bit nicer than that. All of the holiday recipes I've seen online are for making a meal for a whole family or use a food processor, etc. so I'm having a hard time coming up with ideas.

Any helpful thoughts? Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    What's wrong with something that other people can try as welk? Or you can just have leftovers?

Or cut the recipe in half?
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Veggie side dishes at holiday dinners are delish
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    I will make myself a salad or a vegetable soup and bring to events.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited March 2018
    Quinoa salad. Do you like quinoa?

The bar at Whole Foods always has a good one. Maybe you can go try it and then make it.

https://m.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/cranberry-quinoa-salad

Edit: Add some white or kidney beans to it
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Butternut squash or beet salad. I think that these taste better with cheese, but you could cut those out.
    Roast the squash/beets.
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    Would macaroni and cheese be considered an option? Maybe with some asparagus cooked in lemon and pepper. Or with a salad. That's probably what I would bring.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    What about 3 bean salad with "bacon bits." Personally, I like chickpeas, kidney beans and green beans. You could dice red pepper and red onion and toss with a little olive oil and paprika. Lots of protein in the beans too!
  • parjolka
    parjolka Posts: 69 Member
    Miso yutaca,tofu add water&bring to boil and add a handful edamame soy spaghetti yutaka for 3 min.loads of protein & fibres.
    Or go raw marinating a portobella mushrooms+ oregano ,basil& olive oil for a while as well as spiralised zucchini or cucumber
    rawmazing.com is a place to look
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Baked beans can be microwaved and are a Québécois tradition in springtime with ham!
  • dovnkels
    dovnkels Posts: 25 Member
    Have you tried Butler Soy Curls yet for a main dish? They are unbelievable! Quick google search recipes using soy curls and you will see what I mean. Check their local store availability online or order with Prime on Amazon to arrive on time. My carnivorous husband was blown away by the meaty texture. Non gmo, made in USA.
  • loveisapineapple
    loveisapineapple Posts: 38 Member
    Mushroom wellington. I love this dish, I've served it to meat eaters too and they have also rated it highly. You would need to bake it but you could just put it on another shelf to the ham if that isn't an issue for you.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Mushroom wellington. I love this dish, I've served it to meat eaters too and they have also rated it highly. You would need to bake it but you could just put it on another shelf to the ham if that isn't an issue for you.

Wha! Thank you for reminding me of this one. I tried it once and was IN LOVE and I'm not vegetarian. It does need an oven, though. If you can make it at home and bring it to share, this is a very successful choice. I second the suggestion to bring something everyone can try if they wanted. This way you're sharing and participating in the meal instead of isolating your eating to yourself. If really want to bring something just for you, you can just make a mini loaf for yourself. It's really good hot or cold.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
  • bookwormie
    bookwormie Posts: 32 Member
    Oh wow, I didn't even think of mushroom wellington - I've never had it but I (and my family) love mushrooms so there may be some way to get that to work. Or the ratatouille/ bean salads sound like options. Thanks for helping my brain go in the right direction!
  • denisecdale
    denisecdale Posts: 10 Member
    edited March 2018
    Planning:
    Salad
    Plant Based Minnestrone soup
    Vegan Mashed Potatoes with McDougall’s recipe for golden gravy
    Corn
    Sautéed Brussel Sprouts
    Vegan Carrot Cake ordered ahead from Whole Foods
    May add chickun strips from Gardeine fior guests... if I have any.
    The mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, and Gardeine Chicken is way better and certainly healthier than the KFC Bowls I used to eat from the drive thru, lol!
    My family loves it!
    I always have soup or a bean dish each week in the crock pot that I eat off of all week. My daughter is 23 and sometimes eats vegan. She is a cheese eater and will no doubt make mac and cheese if she joins me.
  • littlegreenparrot
    littlegreenparrot Posts: 13 Member
    I like to make a veggie sausage roll. Jus rolled frozen pastry vegan and use fancy stuffing mix for filling. Easy to make ahead and eat cold, travels well. Others will probably want to share :)
  • LarryRacesBikes
    LarryRacesBikes Posts: 17 Member
    It’s after the fact but — do a stuffed cauliflower next time. Find a recipe and make it vegan. I did a mixture of Kale, onions, coconut milk to make it creamy, you could add beans for protein, nutritional yeast instead of cheese... glaze it with turmeric.