Breast Cancer Survivor

Options
HI Everyone. I'm a breast cancer survivor (Stage 1, lumpectomy last fall, Anastrozole) and have been researching the role of nutrition in reducing the risk of recurrence. Cutting back on sugar seems to be the number one priority since legitimate scientific studies show that consuming sugar creates an environment that encourages cancer cells to multiply and expand. I started using this app because I can track sugar intake. Last year, before cancer came into the picture, I lost 50 pounds on Weight Watchers. I was a big fan of that program, but it doesn't really teach you much about nutrition. Instead, they promote eating anything you want as long as you stay within your allotted points. That was OK for me last year. Now it's time to go deeper. If any of you also want to go down the road to reducing cancer risk, I'm open to conversation.

Replies

• rockymir
    rockymir Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Well done girl. You're an inspiration!
    And welcome onboard.
  • WSOX37
    WSOX37 Posts: 1,611 Member
    Options
    Congratulations
  • teacherspet1
    teacherspet1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hi there TJ, Welcome to MFP...... congratulations on your success both weight & Health wise. I am also a past Weightwatcher but find this site just as good. I have also had health issues and needed to come back to tackle weight etc. I am 63, so not getting any younger and need all the help and support I can get! If you think we can help each other I am here for you. Good luck ☺
  • krissylemaire
    krissylemaire Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi TJ, I too am a breast cancer survivor (Stage 1 Lumpectomy Feb 5, 2018, and will be starting Anastrozole once I receive the RX). I am on here to track my sugar consumption also. I don't need to lose weight as I lost some after surgery but I've only been on here a week and I've lost 3 lbs!! I know I am not eating enough calories, as it says you're not but I eat healthy and I've been exercising (Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home videos) and I'm full when I finish so I don't know what I can do except eat more. I was a sugar freak, so maybe just cutting back was the 3 lbs?? I would love to have a conversation with you about this journey we are only apparently together!! :)
  • jlscherme
    jlscherme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I start chemo this week to reduce my breast mass. I'm not sure about all the hype about the cancer-sugar connection. At any rate, eating more colored foods and veggies and drinking more water are my goals.
  • JenniferOBX14
    JenniferOBX14 Posts: 62 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    jlscherme, I completed chemo last week. Over 5 months! I lost weight at first with all the stress of diagnoses but have gained most of it back since Christmas. BTW, it did reduce my 3cm mass to nearly nothing. I hope the same results for you!

I have surgery coming up in less than 2 weeks. So right now just trying to eat healthy and keep my strength up. I will get back to tracking after recovery. I am going to ask for a nutritionist referral at my next meeting with oncologist.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    No cancer for me so far (fingers crossed), but a VERY strong family history. Am very interested in this conversation. I agree that we need to avoid sugar. I also try to add probiotics and to eat anti-inflammatory.
  • corinasue1143
    Options
    I also try to eat my veggies and to add some veggie juice.
  • corinasue1143
    edited March 2018
    Options
    How much do you guys limit your sugar to? And what else do you try to eat? Or not eat? @tinkerjoy28
  • nicolewolff96
    nicolewolff96 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Im so happy you are making the choice to look further into nutrition rather than the point factor.